Timed vs. Not Timed Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
CardozoLaw09

Gold

Timed vs. Not Timed

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:37 pm

Last edited by CardozoLaw09 on Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

St.Remy

Silver

Re: Timed vs. Not Timed

Post by St.Remy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:42 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:Are taking non-timed tests any help at all? Should this even be considered? Or just straight timed tests each and every time?
Doing questions in order to get a handle on the different types is useful, and doing individual sections while trying to improve accuracy is something that you should definitely do towards the beginning of the prep process. Once you get a grasp on the format and question types of the LSAT though I'm a big advocate of taking only timed tests. Timed tests let you know where you actually stand: it isn't uncommon for people to score 10+ points higher on an untimed tests than they would on a timed test (especially with regards to logic games sections). Timed tests give you a more accurate picture of how you're doing, and considering how much of the LSAT is speed focused I really think untimed tests strip you of too much useful data.

GoldenGloves

Bronze

Re: Timed vs. Not Timed

Post by GoldenGloves » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:20 pm

I started out doing tests timed, then redoing them untimed without first viewing any answers. I can't testify as to the effectiveness of this method, but I know a few others on the forums have tried it and claim it has been extremely helpful.

It at least gave me a chance to see that my problem is timing and not lack of understanding the material (I can make high 170s when I take untimed tests). Taking an untimed tests, then, can help you know if you're "getting it" or not, but I'm not sure there's much benefit otherwise.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”