Help me! What to study with 1 month left?? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
thedevilsadvocate

New

Help me! What to study with 1 month left??

Post by thedevilsadvocate » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:19 pm

I'm signed up to take the LSAT next month and my hectic schedule this summer of classes and other things has limited my LSAT study. I started to read the Logic Games Bible a few days ago and finished Basic Linear Games. I just took a practice test and got a 154. I would like to get a 160+. How should I go about getting the most bang for my buck in terms of studying for the next month? I'm lost as to where to begin. I missed 9 on logic games, 9 on reading comp, 9 on the 1st arguments and 12 on the other. Also I signed up for a weekend Powerscore class the end of the month.

CalBear2011

New

Re: Help me

Post by CalBear2011 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:29 pm

The first thing you should do is finish the LGB and do all of the drills, LG are the easiest to master and are basically free points. You can easily get you LG score down to a -0 to -2 with hard work by October. Then go over the LRB thoroughly doing all the drills and that should cut your wrong answers down even more--once you understand how all LR questions work it's all about doing practice test after practice test with thorough review.

If you put in some hefty hours you can easily get to 160+. I went from the 150's to the 170's so it's all up to how much you want it.

Jeffort

Gold

Re: Help me

Post by Jeffort » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:38 pm

thedevilsadvocate wrote:I'm signed up to take the LSAT next month and my hectic schedule this summer of classes and other things has limited my LSAT study. I started to read the Logic Games Bible a few days ago and finished Basic Linear Games. I just took a practice test and got a 154. I would like to get a 160+. How should I go about getting the most bang for my buck in terms of studying for the next month? I'm lost as to where to begin. I missed 9 on logic games, 9 on reading comp, 9 on the 1st arguments and 12 on the other. Also I signed up for a weekend Powerscore class the end of the month.
Just starting prep now for the October test is a bit late, especially when shooting for a 160+ if you have UG classes in session now. There is not enough time to learn and practice it all as much as most people need to be able to consistently score 160+

Having started at 154 (if you took it timed), getting to 160+ is POSSIBLE in October IF YOU have tons of free time to dedicate to LSAT prep over the next several weeks and dedicate ALL OF IT to quality prep/study/practice/review 24hrs a day, lather rinse repeat, but is not probable.

If you have UG classes, work or whatever other time demands over the next couple weeks that you have to juggle with LSAT prep time, your chances are diminished and I say wait until December.

thedevilsadvocate

New

Re: Help me! What to study with 1 month left??

Post by thedevilsadvocate » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:47 pm

I've ordered the Logical Reasoning Bible. I want to go to law school next year. So how much can it hurt by taking the test in October and then retaking in December if necessary?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:55 pm

Not to be mean, but it seems to me you don't really care that much. Most people on these boards find time to study 20 hrs a week on top of full time work and school.

You really are not going to be fully ready by october. The most advisable thing is you dig in deep and actually study hard until december and take it then. Because using October basically as a practice test for decembers can only hurt your applications.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thedevilsadvocate

New

Post by thedevilsadvocate » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:04 pm

My GPA is a 3.8 if that helps to but things into perspective.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:08 pm

thedevilsadvocate wrote:My GPA is a 3.8 if that helps to but things into perspective.
All the more reason you need to actually buckle down and put in some effort and stop half assing it. With that GPA every school in the country is attainable for you with a good LSAT score. So sit down and study hard until December and get the best possible score you can attain.

Of course i'm not sure what kind of perspective that was supposed to give me.
Last edited by Patriot1208 on Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:08 pm

thedevilsadvocate wrote:I've ordered the Logical Reasoning Bible. I want to go to law school next year. So how much can it hurt by taking the test in October and then retaking in December if necessary?
This is not a test you can cram for at the last minute like UG finals and such. Since you have just started the LGB and haven't yet received the LRB (that thing is ~400 pages and is not a quick read, you have to carefully study and review it a lot as well as practice a lot) it seems like you are expecting huge quick improvement. It doesn't typically work that way with this test.

If you rush in and get a sub-par October score and re-take in December you will then have to deal with addressing multiple scores and a lower score in your applications, which is something to be avoided if you can.

You always have December and a higher LSAT score (even just 3 points higher) from a December test pretty much whitewashes the negative effects of your applications not being ready for review until early January.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”