Help please! June '07, Sect2, #8 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
MissLucky

Silver

Help please! June '07, Sect2, #8

Post by MissLucky » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:48 pm

My question is regarding number 8 of section 2 of PT June 2007.

The credited reponse is A.

~~~~~~
I did pick A as a result of POE but I am having a lot of trouble justifying it to myself in my review. The proponents of the electric car are not saying that "the electric car will result in an abatement of environmental degradation PERIOD". they are saying that the electric car will "result in an abatement of the environmental degradation caused by auto emissions."

So the proponents very well may believe in and may have considered the horrible environmental impact coming from charging batteries from nuclear or coal-fired power plants - but that's not what they are concerned with making a point about.

they have a very limited scope. they are saying, "look, the electric car will result in an abatement of the environmental degradation CAUSED BY AUTO EMISSIONS." for all we know they can completely recognize millions of negative environmental consequences the electric car will have. so how can we conclude A (that "the electric car will have worse environmental consequences than its proponents may believe") if it's quite possible that the proponents totally believe and recognize a million environmental hazards resulting from the electric car in addition to its positive impact on abatement of auto emissions???? i did pick A as a result of POE, but I really cannot see how it needs to follow.

I would have been 10 times more confident in choosing A if it used the verb "MAY have worse environmental consequences than its proponents believe" rather than the certainty of "WILL have worse environmental consequences than its proponents believe" - How do we know what the proponents fully believe when we are only given indication as to their confidence in electric cars abating environmental degradation CAUSED BY AUTO EMISSIONS?

thanks a ton!!!!
Last edited by MissLucky on Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

St.Remy

Silver

Re: Help please!

Post by St.Remy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:49 pm

Don't post the question. It's against the rules.

In the prompt the electric car proponents are identified as believing that electric cars are emissions-free. The rest of the prompt refutes this point by saying that electric cars indirectly cause emissions, and are thus not emissions-free. So answer A. The area to focus on is emissions, not specifically the automobile emissions mentioned which you are focused on. At least that's my take.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”