If I have all the Kaplan LSAT books ..still take the class? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Naija-Aggie

New

If I have all the Kaplan LSAT books ..still take the class?

Post by Naija-Aggie » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:01 am

My brother took the LSAT last year and took the Kaplan prep course. He did well and went up about 15 pts and left his books for me. I was planning on taking the prep class anyway but my mother just lost her job and I realize if I spend the $1200 on the course I'm going to be struggling money-wise all semester. Do you think it's worth it to take the course or should I just study with my books on my own? BTW I haven't taken my diagnostic yet :? I know I should have but I had that scheduled for Tuesday, right before my class gets started.

kazu

Gold

Re: If I have all the Kaplan LSAT books ..still take the class?

Post by kazu » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:16 am

Buy the Logical Reasoning Bible & Logic Games Bible, read the Pikypike LSAT study method (as well as perhaps a couple others on this forum) and self-study. General TLS consensus is that the Bibles are much better than the Kaplan books, and also that prep class is not necessary at all.

flgator10

Bronze

Post by flgator10 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:59 am

I agree. The only good thing about the class is that you can get all the explanations for the Timing and Endurance questions online. Otherwise, I really haven't found their strategies all that helpful, maybe with the exception of Logic Games. I found all of the homework and tutorials to be a little unnecessary and a waste of time. I am taking the online class right now as part of the higher score guarantee and have pretty much stopped doing the required homework and just working on what I feel I need to work on. I started working on the LG and LR Bibles a couple of weeks ago, and my score has already gone up. The class definitely helped me to become familiar with the test, but I really was not that impressed.

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:04 am

The prep class is worthless. You will only be sitting there thinking about all the time you are wasting when you could be studying - and the fact that you forked up good money for this waste of time. I found out the hard way. Buy the Bibles, and purchase a stack of practice tests from LSAC. The bibles break down everything individually, and then the practice tests let you perfect the methods. It is the best way to go about it IMO.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:11 am

esq wrote:The prep class is worthless. You will only be sitting there thinking about all the time you are wasting when you could be studying - and the fact that you forked up good money for this waste of time. I found out the hard way. Buy the Bibles, and purchase a stack of practice tests from LSAC. The bibles break down everything individually, and then the practice tests let you perfect the methods. It is the best way to go about it IMO.
Oh yeah. Prep tests. Forgot about those :roll: Depending on how much money you have / when you're taking the exam, purchase at least 20 of the most recent ones as well as the "SuperPrep" book by LSAC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”