Ran out of fresh logic games. How to practice? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
nStiver

Bronze

Ran out of fresh logic games. How to practice?

Post by nStiver » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:30 am

Ok, so I have been studying the LSAT for a while now. At some point or another, I have seen almost every logic game. On repeat games, even ones from 7-8 months ago which I hardly even remember, I do very well and complete most of them in well under 8:45. Before I ran out of fresh games, I even scored a few perfect LG sections (-0).

Today, I took PT 60 and answered 13 questions correctly on the LG section. Yes, you heard it....13 mother f-ing questions. This brought my score down to a 163. I am aiming for 170.

Either way, this is my situation: I am taking the LSAT in october. I need to conquer games once and for all. I do not accept that I am incapable of mastering the LG section every time. My main question is: How does one prepare for an unfamiliar LG section, with only stale LGs to practice with? Has anyone been in my shoes? I am open to all ideas, especially from those who have effectively prepared for a retake using old logic games. If so, how did you perform on the real test? Are there specific timing strategies or study schedules that worked for you?
Last edited by nStiver on Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Platinum

Re: Logic Game Issues

Post by Knock » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:24 am

nStiver wrote:Ok, so I have been studying the LSAT for a while now. At some point or another, I have seen almost every logic game. On repeat games, even ones from 7-8 months ago which I hardly even remember, I do very well and complete most of them in well under 8:45. Before I ran out of fresh games, I even scored a few perfect LG sections (-0).

Today, I took PT 60 and answered 13 questions correctly on the LG section. Yes, you heard it....13 mother f-ing questions. This brought my score down to a 163. I am aiming for 170.

Either way, this is my situation: I am taking the LSAT in october. I need to conquer games once and for all. I do not accept that I am incapable of mastering the LG section every time. My main question is: How does one prepare for an unfamiliar LG section, with only stale LGs to practice with? Has anyone been in my shoes? I am open to all ideas, especially from those who have effectively prepared for a retake using old logic games. If so, how did you perform on the real test? Are there specific timing strategies or study schedules that worked for you?
It's tough, i'm in the same shoes as you. The June games, mainly the intern game, were on the tough side. Even though I missed just as many on the sequencing game as interns :oops:.

I would just say, accept the fact that you're not going to see new games, and redo older games, but really see all the different ways you can solve the games, and see if you can find the fastest/best games. I also know there are lots of fake games out there, which you might try looking at, to practice on an unfamiliar game. It isn't too hard to write fake games, so even though they aren't official LSAT questions, they could still be useful to you. I think Atlas does games, and writes them on a semi-regular basis at least, so you should check their website. I know Princeton Review also has some fake games they make available for their students.

nStiver

Bronze

Re: Ran out of fresh logic games. How to practice?

Post by nStiver » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:18 pm

Have you tried using fake games?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:19 pm

nStiver wrote:Have you tried using fake games?
I did a couple helping my friend, and he had a Princeton Review or Kaplan book or something. They're obviously not nearly as tight as the official LSAT questions, but still good for getting fresh practice.

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:20 pm

Atlas also has some good LSAT-like questions. New ones are posted bi-weekly.

http://www.atlaslsat.com/logic-games-practice.cfm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:25 pm

I wrote a bunch of my own LSAT-style Logic Games (LinkRemoved).

Also, redoing real games is worthwhile. You will learn from them and make deeper inferences.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:28 pm

Start doing them over. I don't know if that would help everyone but it helped me. I was horrible at LG and doing the games over and over really helped me get inside my thinking and see my mistakes. I never did a game two days in a row, I always separated them by a few days or so. It helped with my speed and efficiency and catching inferences as well.

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:36 pm

nStiver wrote:Ok, so I have been studying the LSAT for a while now. At some point or another, I have seen almost every logic game. On repeat games, even ones from 7-8 months ago which I hardly even remember, I do very well and complete most of them in well under 8:45. Before I ran out of fresh games, I even scored a few perfect LG sections (-0).

Don't feel bad - I took the actual test 60 and got 13 right on LG and got a 167. Better on the prep test then the real thing :cry: :lol: Which games killed you?

Anyway I'm sort of in the same boat I'm retaking in October and need to focus almost exclusively on improving on LG. Here is my strategy - take one to two timed sections every day - then review the previous day's timed sections and the games that gave you trouble redo. Redo them once perfectly and slowly - then redo them a second time faster - teh third time give yourself real timing and do them under time pressure. three times from scratch getting faster and faster. Then do a different timed section. Nothing will be fresh but you'll start seeing patterns in what gives you trouble and wehere you waste time. It will also build your confidence which I have found is a big portion of my performance on LG (panicking wastes a lot of time). This is assuming you have already worked technique some other way like the LG bible first.

dooterdude11

Bronze

Post by dooterdude11 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:40 pm

Re-using Logic Games is imperative. No one can remember the exact details of every game. You should make 4 copies of every game in existence and randomly do like 4 or 5 per day for study. That way, you will have forgotten the ones you already did by the time you do them again.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:42 pm

Yes, I have been through the LGB. Perhaps my problem is that I only practice individual games. I will do a whole section, but I will time myself on one game at a time, review it, and move on to the next. Maybe I need to work on getting my timing down for 35 minute sections instead of just individual practice?

Gold

Post by 094320 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:44 pm

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:04 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Even if you don't explicitly remember anything, your brain remember a LOT implicitly. It's still useful to redo the games, but it gets less and less useful as practice each time you do it, even if you think you don't remember much anymore. This is quite the conundrum and I'm not sure you have too many options besides just re-using them and trying fake games.
I disagree, those things you're remembering are the very skills that help you tackle new games quickly. There's only so many game formats that can be created. Once you know every format, a new game becomes easier.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:08 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:42 pm

Fortunately, I have a terrible memory for this sort of thing. After 1-2 weeks, tabula rasa ftw.

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:44 pm

I think maybe PT 60 just rattled me. I need to just forget about it and proceed as normal.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”