LG Strategy Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
amkid100

Bronze

LG Strategy

Post by amkid100 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:17 pm

Is there a general wisdom about the order one should complete a section in? Do the games with more questions first, sequencing games first etc.?

I have read through the Bible and am still having some trouble with timing...an LG section will typically take me 35-40 minutes to complete. Does doing the section out of order help? Any other advice to get within the 35 min. window consistently?

Thanks.

Gold

Re: LG Strategy

Post by 094320 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:33 pm

amkid100

Bronze

Post by amkid100 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:35 pm

ya i figured it might be a waste to figure out which to do first, but i'm open to any suggestions at this point! so you followed pithypike's advice to repeat games that you've already done?

(nice pic btw)

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:04 pm

justtotalk

New

Post by justtotalk » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:23 pm

^I remember the episode--when she's studying for business school final. Good show.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:59 am

amkid100

Bronze

Post by amkid100 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:04 am

i personally find the one where rory gets into yale, harvard and princeton to be more inspirational :)

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:09 am

justtotalk

New

Post by justtotalk » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:15 am

acrossthelake wrote:
amkid100 wrote:i personally find the one where rory gets into yale, harvard and princeton to be more inspirational :)
Though really unrealistic and only possible in TV-land. Getting valedictorian over Paris was also TV-land BS. Her application would have been strong, but getting into all of HYP strong? No...
Being a (hot,) fictional character living in a small, make-believe town is a very strong soft. Diversity ftw. :)

Although Connecticut is a tough state.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hedwig

Silver

Post by Hedwig » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:39 am

acrossthelake wrote:
justtotalk wrote:^I remember the episode--when she's studying for business school final. Good show.
Exactly! Also, agreed. :)
I am of the opinion that the LSAT frequently feels like two giant brothers both named Clem (which does not reflect well on the creativity of their mothers) are sitting on your shoulders. And they were brothers so they had mothers...

And for the original question: I tackle the games in order. If I do a diagram, start, and am confused, I try to move on and come back. It doesn't always work, but you get to a point where you're like, I know some shit is whack, I can't do this, let's skip ahead for a bit.

Anaconda

Silver

Post by Anaconda » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:02 am

eit wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
justtotalk wrote:^I remember the episode--when she's studying for business school final. Good show.
Exactly! Also, agreed. :)
I am of the opinion that the LSAT frequently feels like two giant brothers both named Clem (which does not reflect well on the creativity of their mothers) are sitting on your shoulders. And they were brothers so they had mothers...

And for the original question: I tackle the games in order. If I do a diagram, start, and am confused, I try to move on and come back. It doesn't always work, but you get to a point where you're like, I know some shit is whack, I can't do this, let's skip ahead for a bit.
In some slight way, I think starting a game and then skipping the questions and then coming back to it might be somewhat beneficial for some strange reason.

Tolmanator

New

Post by Tolmanator » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:22 am

In general, I would agree with some of the comments here that if you are simply having a strange experience with a particular game, skipping ahead and coming back might not be a bad idea.

That being said, I disagree with the comments that suggest doing the questions in the order given is the best way to approach the test. Generally speaking, you should answer the "if" questions first (the ones that introduce new/fleeting info, aka hypotheticals) because these should: A.) Give you actual possible scenarios to use later on other questions or B.) If the game is confusing, these can help cue you in on possible errors you have made, or deductions you have failed to deduct, without you scratching around a broad MUST BE TRUE question for a good 4 minutes before you give up and just move to a different game.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:56 am

Be systematic. Don't try to leap to major deductions without taking the smaller steps first. This is the mistake I'm constantly making. Write out a comprehensive set-up. This is truthfully the only real strategy that applies to every game.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:52 pm

amkid100 wrote:Is there a general wisdom about the order one should complete a section in? Do the games with more questions first, sequencing games first etc.?

I have read through the Bible and am still having some trouble with timing...an LG section will typically take me 35-40 minutes to complete. Does doing the section out of order help? Any other advice to get within the 35 min. window consistently?

Thanks.
Do the first two first, they are generally the easier of the two, and are almost never the hardest. Then pick which ever one of the last two, that has the most questions.

That won't help you with timing but it helps if you don't finish.

What helped me was taking individual games (not whole sections) in 8 min periods. If you can do the hardest games in 8 minutes you'll never have a problem.

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:10 pm

I always go from first to last, but PT 30 was frustrating to say the least. 2 or 3 hybrid games that have the potential to annoy the shit out of anyone and a pure sequencing at the end. So I guess it sometimes makes sense to take a peek, but then again, it is all about your aims, if you aim for highest score you will have to do all questions anyway, so the order matters little.

amkid100

Bronze

Post by amkid100 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:49 pm

pt 30 was what inspired this question in the first place...good to know!

stargazin

Bronze

Post by stargazin » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:55 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
amkid100 wrote:ya i figured it might be a waste to figure out which to do first, but i'm open to any suggestions at this point! so you followed pithypike's advice to repeat games that you've already done?

(nice pic btw)
I didn't read pithypike's thing, but, I did repeat games, yes, just to get more practice since I ran out of LGs to practice.

Gracias, it's a pic of Lauren Graham.
Awesome. Gilmore Girls is hardcore! That show was so robbed at the Emmys.

About the question...usually I just do the games in order. I find that trying to figure out what category of game each one is (especially when some are hybrids), how difficult each one is, and deciding which to do or skip is too time consuming. But if a question is just not clicking for me at all, I'll move on to the next game and come back if I have time.

And PT 30 was a killer for me. When I did it, I thought I was hung over because I didn't understand at least two of the games. Ugh.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”