Need a quick fix Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
boat343

New

Need a quick fix

Post by boat343 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:58 pm

I am just finishing up the Kaplan course and have actually went down 8 points from my diagnostic. I diaged at a 146; Second test 147; third was 141; finished at 138. Since it was my first time seeing this stuff I figured I could only go up, so pretty surprised I went way down.

I am not really concerned with getting an unbelievable 90th percentile score. I'm good with a mid 150's to 160. My question is: is there any prep material out there that can just get you the basics to get there? Kaplan is trying to teach these elaborate set-ups, which are wonderful, but result in me only completing half the questions. Test is in October so I got a little time. Would appreciate any help.

TaipeiMort

Silver

Re: Need a quick fix

Post by TaipeiMort » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:00 pm

boat343 wrote:I am just finishing up the Kaplan course and have actually went down 8 points from my diagnostic. I diaged at a 146; Second test 147; third was 141; finished at 138. Since it was my first time seeing this stuff I figured I could only go up, so pretty surprised I went way down.

I am not really concerned with getting an unbelievable 90th percentile score. I'm good with a mid 150's to 160. My question is: is there any prep material out there that can just get you the basics to get there? Kaplan is trying to teach these elaborate set-ups, which are wonderful, but result in me only completing half the questions. Test is in October so I got a little time. Would appreciate any help.
Powerscore Logic Games and Logical Reasoning Bibles.

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:10 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:
boat343 wrote:I am just finishing up the Kaplan course and have actually went down 8 points from my diagnostic. I diaged at a 146; Second test 147; third was 141; finished at 138. Since it was my first time seeing this stuff I figured I could only go up, so pretty surprised I went way down.

Powerscore Logic Games and Logical Reasoning Bibles.
Agreed - Powerscore Bibles are great - also whatever strategies you are used don't try to break down every question - go with your best instincts or you will run out of time - only use techniques on tough questions.

Ssoto0055

New

Post by Ssoto0055 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:03 pm

If you are disciplined enough to sit down and study on your own you don't need a course. Get the powerscore books like others have said and get to work. It won't happen over night, but you will most definitely improve.

boat343

New

Post by boat343 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:26 pm

Thanks everyone for the input. I will definitely grab those books and whip it on here in the next two months.

rbhesser

New

Post by rbhesser » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:29 pm

Definitely the Powerscore LR Bible. I have heard nothing but good things about the LG bible, I bought it but never needed to use it. Also, buy a bunch of PTs. Repetition is going to be key for you to speed up. Try not to overthink each problem, you'd be surprised how intuitive answering becomes without needing all the extra markings and diagramming.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”