Lsat 4th time---Please help Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lostone

New

Lsat 4th time---Please help

Post by lostone » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:22 pm

Hi,

I've taken the LSAT 3x and I know I should have done better on my FEB lsat. My scores are 161,164,165...I want to retake in October as I was testing at a pt avg of 172 (over 15 tests) prior to the Feb test. I recently sat down and took the June lsat without seeing anything since Feb (under normal testing conditions) and scored a 168. With some refresh, I am sure I can score higher in Oct.

Has anyone gotten any schools to sponsor them to take the test a 4th time?
Is this the easiest way?

dabbadon8

Silver

Re: Lsat 4th time---Please help

Post by dabbadon8 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:33 pm

lostone wrote:Hi,

I've taken the LSAT 3x and I know I should have done better on my FEB lsat. My scores are 161,164,165...I want to retake in October as I was testing at a pt avg of 172 (over 15 tests) prior to the Feb test. I recently sat down and took the June lsat without seeing anything since Feb (under normal testing conditions) and scored a 168. With some refresh, I am sure I can score higher in Oct.

Has anyone gotten any schools to sponsor them to take the test a 4th time?
Is this the easiest way?
No idea, but I will say you have amazing perseverance to be able to study and take the LSAT 3+ times, I felt so burnt out after my one and only time it was hard to imagine studying again for it, let alone three times more.

ARTfulDodger

New

Post by ARTfulDodger » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:36 pm

I also have no idea. I would ask whatever school you want to attend to sponsor you. It couldn't hurt and it would show that you are really determined to go law school.

lostone

New

Post by lostone » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:51 pm

I'm hoping this final time around won't be as much of a studying as it will be a "refreshing"...If i can score a 168 on the june without seeing anything for 4-5 months, i think i can be on track to get back to par within a month or so...

Thanks for the input though! I guess it makes sense to call the school.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:23 pm

It will be interesting to read whether or not any law school will sponsor a fourth sitting when your scores of 161, 164 & 165 are so consistent as well as progressively better. What interest would any law school have in sponsoring you to take the test for a fourth time as a higher score suggests that you will then be looking at higher ranked law schools ?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:33 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:It will be interesting to read whether or not any law school will sponsor a fourth sitting when your scores of 161, 164 & 165 are so consistent as well as progressively better. What interest would any law school have in sponsoring you to take the test for a fourth time as a higher score suggests that you will then be looking at higher ranked law schools ?
A school with a 166 median?

Though I think the OP is probably wasting her time. Why are you doing worse in person? Anxiety? Probably won't go away. Also are you timing yourself and scoring yourself with absolute accuracy.

It's easy to give yourself "20 seconds" to finish a problem, but on the LSAT that isn't allowed.

lostone

New

Post by lostone » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:43 pm

Schools with 166 medians are precisely the ones I was waitlisted at. I have no idea why I am doing worse in person but I am confident that I can do better as per my pt test avgs which are indeed strictly timed and not loosely scored.

mfeller2

Bronze

Post by mfeller2 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:03 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about what you're testing at for PTs, the actual tests are the only thing that matter when applying to schools. The problem is most likely test anxiety, stress, or something about the testing environment. Taking the test a 4th time doesn't seem like its worth it to me, because you're topping out (I wouldn't expect to see more than a 1 pt improvement). Maybe you should apply to some lower ranked schools.

lostone

New

Post by lostone » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:13 pm

The only reason I think taking the test a 4th time is useful is that regardless of if i take it a 4th time, i will still get into the lower ranked schools with my current score. On the other hand, if I do score higher, I will have a shot at t20 and above (or higher scholarships).

The only thing I have to lose is time and the cost for the test (both of which I can manage).

Thanks for all the input! Keep it coming!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:41 pm

lostone wrote:The only reason I think taking the test a 4th time is useful is that regardless of if i take it a 4th time, i will still get into the lower ranked schools with my current score. On the other hand, if I do score higher, I will have a shot at t20 and above (or higher scholarships).

The only thing I have to lose is time and the cost for the test (both of which I can manage).

Thanks for all the input! Keep it coming!
This is precisely the right attitude. Get permission from a school, and retake. You have nothing to lose.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:57 pm

lostone: That is precisely my point in wondering why any law school would sponsor you for a fourth exam in a two year period. Which law schools will you ask to sponsor you ? Those to which you have been accepted, or to those which waitlisted you or those law schools which rejected you ? Or will you seek sponsorship for another sitting from a higher ranked school to which you did not apply ? And what reason will you offer ? Many applicants scored higher on their practice tests than they did during an actual sitting.
I recall reading several law school profiles on this website (TLS) in which law school deans address this question.

lostone

New

Post by lostone » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:34 pm

I will ask those which waitlisted me. I imagine I only need one of the 5 or so schools to give me the waiver (sponsorship) in order for my score to apply to all. My reasoning is simple: I am currently a strong, borderline candidate that wishes to reapply with more in tune credentials for acceptance and the only way to do that is to take the test again, and I am confident I can score higher.

jman77

Silver

Post by jman77 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:42 pm

lostone wrote:I will ask those which waitlisted me. I imagine I only need one of the 5 or so schools to give me the waiver (sponsorship) in order for my score to apply to all. My reasoning is simple: I am currently a strong, borderline candidate that wishes to reapply with more in tune credentials for acceptance and the only way to do that is to take the test again, and I am confident I can score higher.
Do this. I got UCLA to sponsor me for a 4th take. I was 1 point below their median and got waitlisted. Around June, I didn't think I'd be able to get off the waitlist, so I e-mailed requesting for sponsorship to take the October LSAT, stating that I was confident I would be able to raise my score and would re-apply next cycle.

Interestingly enough, they granted the request, then admitted me 2 weeks after. I will be retaking this October.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anaconda

Silver

Post by Anaconda » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:49 pm

jman77 wrote:
lostone wrote:I will ask those which waitlisted me. I imagine I only need one of the 5 or so schools to give me the waiver (sponsorship) in order for my score to apply to all. My reasoning is simple: I am currently a strong, borderline candidate that wishes to reapply with more in tune credentials for acceptance and the only way to do that is to take the test again, and I am confident I can score higher.
Do this. I got UCLA to sponsor me for a 4th take. I was 1 point below their median and got waitlisted. Around June, I didn't think I'd be able to get off the waitlist, so I e-mailed requesting for sponsorship to take the October LSAT, stating that I was confident I would be able to raise my score and would re-apply next cycle.

Interestingly enough, they granted the request, then admitted me 2 weeks after. I will be retaking this October.
Do you not want to go to UCLA?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:58 pm

@jman77: Does UCLA expect you to sit for the LSAT again, or are you just going to accept their offer of admission & enroll at UCLA ?
P.S. Just read in your profile that you decided to forego attending law school this cycle. Is this still correct ?

jman77

Silver

Post by jman77 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:02 pm

Anaconda wrote:
jman77 wrote:

Do you not want to go to UCLA?
I decided to stay at my job another year due to opportunities I couldn't pass up on. I would love to go to UCLA and plan on staying in SoCal; hopefully my new LSAT score will net me more money this coming cycle.

burtonrideclub

Bronze

Post by burtonrideclub » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:11 pm

I took the LSAT four times, and my friends and family thought I was crazy to take it that 4th time. If you think you can do better and can really put in the time to make it worth it, go for it. My scores went cancel/166/166/171. Got of the waitlist to my dream school with that 171, and wouldn't of had a chance without it. The risk/reward payout for a high score is ridiculous, go for it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jman77

Silver

Post by jman77 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:15 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:@jman77: Does UCLA expect you to sit for the LSAT again, or are you just going to accept their offer of admission & enroll at UCLA ?
P.S. Just read in your profile that you decided to forego attending law school this cycle. Is this still correct ?
I don't think UCLA expects me to retake the LSAT, but I will anyway. When I informed Dean Schwartz of my decision to put off law school for a year and reapply to UCLA next year, he told me to let him know as soon as I put in my application.

Yup, I decided to put off law school for one more year and keep working. I actually have a pretty great job and a career track that's pretty tough to relinquish; if it were not for the fact that I've really always wanted to be a lawyer, I wouldn't dream of leaving.

The clincher was when my employer initiated green card sponshorship for me. I figured the green card is worth waiting 1 year or so...

Anaconda

Silver

Post by Anaconda » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:22 pm

jman77 wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:@jman77: Does UCLA expect you to sit for the LSAT again, or are you just going to accept their offer of admission & enroll at UCLA ?
I don't think UCLA expects me to retake the LSAT, but I will anyway. When I informed Dean Schwartz of my decision to put off law school for a year and reapply to UCLA next year, he told me to let him know as soon as I put in my application.

Yup, I decided to put off law school for one more year and keep working. I actually have a pretty great job and a career track that's pretty tough to relinquish; if it were not for the fact that I've really always wanted to be a lawyer, I wouldn't dream of leaving.

The clincher was when my employer initiated green card sponshorship for me. I figured the green card is worth waiting 1 year or so...
If it means only a few extra thousand dollars, it's totally worth it. Even if you don't improve you're still in, you have to feel good about that.

jman77

Silver

Post by jman77 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:42 pm

Anaconda wrote:
jman77 wrote:

If it means only a few extra thousand dollars, it's totally worth it. Even if you don't improve you're still in, you have to feel good about that.
I feel pretty good about my chances to significantly improve, but yeah, you're right. It's good to know I have a good chance of getting in regardless. Dean Schwartz gave me $30K with my current numbers, so I'm hoping an LSAT score improvement will translate to a corresponding improvement in the scholarship amount.

Sorry for derailing your thread, OP. But to get back on track, I definitely think you should ask one of the schools that waitlisted you (or even UCLA) to sponsor you for a 4th take. From a cost-benefit standpoint, it's really a no-brainer. Less than $200 vs. potential thousands in scholarships.

lostone

New

Post by lostone » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:45 pm

Agreed. Hopefully I will get a school to sponsor me...We'll see soon enough.

lostone

New

Post by lostone » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:57 am

Got it. Thanks for all your help! looks like ill be taking in OCT!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”