Critical Thinking Class Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jwaters

Bronze

Critical Thinking Class

Post by jwaters » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:10 pm

Last edited by jwaters on Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

speedyj88

Bronze

Re: Critical Thinking Class

Post by speedyj88 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:20 pm

It certainly won't hurt but by that time in your studying I don't think it will help that much either. Regardless, it sounds like an interesting class.

arean.ryan

New

Post by arean.ryan » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:08 pm

I took a similar course this summer titled, "Elementary Logic"; big help in aspects on syllogisms, deducing statements, contrapositives...doubt you will get the a good arsenal of knowledge by test day however

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:37 pm

You'll learn a lot more than you'll need for the LSAT. I took my logic class ages ago, but I remember having to solve equations. It was almost like math, but easier.

phernandez10

New

Post by phernandez10 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:35 pm

That sounds like an introductory class in logic. My intro logic course was fairly basic (categorical syllogisms, fallacies, etc.), however I took an upper division course which was very helpful. I went deeper into the argument structure.

Course description:
"PHIL 350 Symbolic Logic (5)
The course is designed to develop our understanding of different logical notions, such as validity, consistency, logical truth and the formal structures that underlie good reasoning. There will be a focus on developing an ability to translate from a natural language to formal languages such as the propositional and predicate calculus, and a focus on developing an ability to use formal proof systems."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jdhopeful11

Bronze

Post by jdhopeful11 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:42 pm

It won't really help. It will teach you how to think critically about everyday situations and society as well as assessing situations objectively.

arean.ryan

New

Post by arean.ryan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:11 am

phernandez10 wrote:

focus on developing an ability to translate from a natural language to formal languages such as the propositional and predicate calculus, and a focus on developing an ability to use formal proof systems."
My Elementary Logic class taught on formal proofs as well as propositional calculus. I really wanted to take symbolic logic as well but I graduated too soon :(

phernandez10

New

Post by phernandez10 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:43 am

arean.ryan wrote:
phernandez10 wrote:

focus on developing an ability to translate from a natural language to formal languages such as the propositional and predicate calculus, and a focus on developing an ability to use formal proof systems."
My Elementary Logic class taught on formal proofs as well as propositional calculus. I really wanted to take symbolic logic as well but I graduated too soon :(
Most of my classmates couldn't understand categorical syllogisms so we spent most of the quarter on that alone. As for the Symbolic Logic course I suggest you go back :). Symbolic Logic was one of the main reasons I decided to major in philosophy.

Chris_cpb

Bronze

Post by Chris_cpb » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:49 am

The basics of LR can be learned on your own, and this class probably wouldn't help for the more complex, difficult LR problems. I would not recommend it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:50 am

I disagree. IMO, majoring in philosophy saved my LSAT score.

Chris_cpb

Bronze

Post by Chris_cpb » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:59 am

jay115 wrote:I disagree. IMO, majoring in philosophy saved my LSAT score.
Disagree with what? A single introductory course in the basics of critical thinking is hardly relevant to taking complex 300+ level philosophy courses.

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:16 am

Chris_cpb wrote:
Disagree with what? A single introductory course in the basics of critical thinking is hardly relevant to taking complex 300+ level philosophy courses.
You think learning about Kant's metaphysics or advanced political philosophy helps with the basics of logical reasoning? No - it was just the constant exposure to logical fallacies, regardless of topic or debate. Slowly, exposure leads to acclimation and recognition. This class sounds like a good introductory course for a non-philosophy major.

Chris_cpb

Bronze

Post by Chris_cpb » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:25 am

jay115 wrote:
Chris_cpb wrote:
You think learning about Kant's metaphysics or advanced political philosophy helps with the basics of logical reasoning? No - it was just the constant exposure to logical fallacies, regardless of topic or debate. Slowly, exposure leads to acclimation and recognition. This class sounds like a good introductory course for a non-philosophy major.

I took a class called something like "aesthetics of classic masterpieces" and it was one of my favorite classes ever! We looked at some stuff with Kant if I recall. Anyway, my point with the argument is that advanced logical reasoning strategies cannot be learned from an intro 'critical thinking' course while the basic logical reasoning strategies are almost common sense. I would, however, agree that this would be a fun class to take.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”