"Splitter"? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
nStiver

Bronze

"Splitter"?

Post by nStiver » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:57 pm

What is a "Reverse Splitter" or a "Super Splitter"? Is it someone with a really high LSAT and really low GPA or vice versa? I hear the term thrown around on here but don't exactly know what it means.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Re: "Splitter"?

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:57 pm

Splitter means low GPA, high LSAT
Reverse splitter means high GPA, low LSAT

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:04 pm

Ah, then I am a splitter.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:10 pm

nStiver wrote:Ah, then I am a splitter.
That's good news, because splitters do better than reverse splitters overall =-]

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:59 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
That's good news, because splitters do better than reverse splitters overall =-]
Well, I am a pretty extreme splitter. My grades are really bad up until about a year ago. I wouldn't exactly call that "good news". Still, I would rather be a splitter than a reverse splitter :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:04 am

nStiver wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
Well, I am a pretty extreme splitter. My grades are really bad up until about a year ago. I wouldn't exactly call that "good news". Still, I would rather be a splitter than a reverse splitter :)
Some guy asked me "I have a 151 lsat and a 2.5 gpa. Am I a splitter or a reverse splitter?" I answered: "Cooley".

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:45 am

3|ink wrote: Some guy asked me "I have a 151 lsat and a 2.5 gpa. Am I a splitter or a reverse splitter?" I answered: "Cooley".
that made me literally lol :lol:

Seriously, though, I think it's also subjective to where/what your target schools are. I think generally below 25% GPA/LSAT and above 75% LSAT/GPA is considered a "splitter" for that particular school.

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:49 am

kazu wrote:
3|ink wrote: Some guy asked me "I have a 151 lsat and a 2.5 gpa. Am I a splitter or a reverse splitter?" I answered: "Cooley".
that made me literally lol :lol:

Seriously, though, I think it's also subjective to where/what your target schools are. I think generally below 25% GPA/LSAT and above 75% LSAT/GPA is considered a "splitter" for that particular school.
This. I think for the T14 (TLS's playground) we generally consider splitters to be <3.4/>170. Extreme splitters are <3.0/>175.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:53 am

Do you think it is better for a urm to be a splitter or reverse splitter.
I heard schools forgive low lsat easier than low gpa when it comes to URM.
Just wondering what people might guess.
Im a 170/3.2 black male... should i dream about being a 162 3.8 black male?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:56 am

To answer OP's other question, the term "super splitter" generally refers to someone whose numbers are significantly more extreme (in both directions) than 75/25. For example, I probably have the highest LSAT and lowest UGPA of any entering 1L at my school. The fact that I am 99/0, as opposed to, say, 81/22, makes me the epitome of a super splitter.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:59 am

sophia.olive wrote:Do you think it is better for a urm to be a splitter or reverse splitter.
Well, I'm not that informed on URM but generally I think that admissions committees prefer a high LSAT much more to a high GPA.

High LSATs are much more rare (for the law school applicant population overall) and is an "objective" standard, while a GPA is more subjective (depending on major, school policy, etc.) and more common.

However if someone else more informed about URMs replies please go ahead and disregard this.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:00 am

I dont think a 3.0 is the lowest gpa at UVA.
Why did you ed to UVA?
How old are you?
Did you get any scholarship money?

profs<3mycomments

New

Post by profs<3mycomments » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:01 am

sophia.olive wrote:Do you think it is better for a urm to be a splitter or reverse splitter.
No, you should love your life.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:33 am

sophia.olive wrote:I dont think a 3.0 is the lowest gpa at UVA.
That's a round-up from 2.95 since the form only allows you to do tenths. If it's not bottom, it's gotta be close. UVA's Class of 2012 25th percentile GPA is 3.54. And this year, when UVA's out-of-state acceptance rate is somewhere around 6%, it's doubtful that many people got in with sub-3.0's.
Why did you ed to UVA?
Because law school was such a last-minute decision for me, I felt it was necessary to do whatever I had to to try to get into the best school possible, particularly with the (relatively) bad UGPA. I wasn't in the position in my life to be able to wait a year. (The wife would not be cool with that at all.) Since I took the February LSAT, I was past the deadline for nearly all of T14, but UVA not only was accepting apps, but had extended their ED deadline. I figured it was the best way to increase my odds of admission.

How old are you?
32. Married, with a toddler and a newborn.

Did you get any scholarship money?[/quote]
Not a dime. (I'll probably get a few bucks from my tribe, but we're talking 3-4 figures.) And I need to borrow well above the expected cost of attendance because I'm supporting four people instead of one. Luckily, IBR will keep my loan payments in check. In fact, if I am able to follow my preferred career path (Navy JAG), the combination of low taxable income, good military stipends/benefits, relatively large family size, and IBR will mean that I never have to pay a dime of the $300K+ in loans (from UG, MBA, and JD) with which I'll graduate.

Feel free to PM me (or post; I'm not much for anonymization) with any other questions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”