ptest 39 LR section 2 question 12 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
nStiver

Bronze

ptest 39 LR section 2 question 12

Post by nStiver » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:19 pm

This is the question about liberty and publishing. I can see why (A) is correct, but I can not understand why (B) is wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Re: ptest 39 LR section 2 question 12

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:09 pm

That one's tricky. I think that B is wrong because it's different in scope than the stimulus. The politician says that "except perhaps" when they would cause harm [italics mine]. This is every so slightly different from B which leaves out any sort of perhaps-type qualifier.

AverageTutoring

Bronze

Post by AverageTutoring » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:46 pm

Let me ask you this: if a passage says "there is only 1 green boat on the lot" can we infer that there is only 1 green boat on the lot? Perhaps in this case, we cannot infer what is already stated. Answer choice B is a re-statement of the major premis in the argument. How is this an inference? It is not!

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:54 pm

Like the 2nd poster said, I thought that "perhaps" might essentially mean "Except in some of the cases when to fail to do so would allow individuals to cause harm".

But maybe its as simple as Average Tutoring said. It might be that because (B) simply restates a premise (minus the perhaps), it can not be an inference.

I still don't know.

edit for punctuation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”