rc help Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

what to do

1. Suck it up and study RC- its the section with the most answer choices- why lose any points if you can
67%
2. focus on LR - 2 sections vs 1, and the strategies for LR can help on RC
17%
3. study all 3, but create a firm schedule to allocate some time for RC, but focus on LR and LG more diligently
17%
4. other- please be specific
No votes

Total votes: 6

northwood

Platinum

rc help

Post by northwood » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:18 am

I am having difficulty studying for RC. I sit down to do a RC section of the test, and end up stopping after reading 1 passage and answering the questions. The problem is not with being frustrated, or anything similiar, its simply that I have difficulty motivating myself to practice RC. ( on my diagnostic exam I missed 8 problems on RC) I constantly findmyself questioning my reasoning for studying this section, when I couuld be focusing on games( by far my favorite section) and LR ( a nbig target area for me)

My question is this- should i focus on LR and the games, since they will be 2/3 of the scored section of the exam, and do RC in september ( i am going to dominate the october exam, hopefully), or should i find a way to suck it up and practice RC, even though I have to fight the supreme urge to stop and focus on one of the other 2 setion types. Does anyone have any constructive suggestions on how to best prep for RC ( ironically, I love to read, and spend a lot of time reading journal articles, historical documents, and other things that many people consider boring and crammed with useless info- i guess I am just strange)

thanks and happy baseball trading deadline day!

Day2Daze

New

Re: rc help

Post by Day2Daze » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:17 pm

I hate doing RC sections too. I found the easiest way to do it is to do your games studying chunk, then do an RC section and then move on to your LR study chunk. If you do it in the middle as your separator it kind of feels like a break.

If you really cant sit for the whole section (No one understands that feeling better than me) then maybe space out the passages, or just do one maybe two. Id be wary of that though because it seems like RC endurance will be an issue for you, which would mean not only to study RC but build endurance. Try doing some longer RC sections, maybe 5 passages or so for a week or two. After that switch back to normal sections, they may seem much shorter then.

You do not want to get bored after one RC passage in the real thing. Suck it up and study RC. :)

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:25 pm

I think that you just have to accept that you have to study every section at some point. You can't just keep thinking "I could be doing this instead". However, this doens't mean that you shouldn't prioretize your weaknesses. If RC is your biggest weakness, just accept that you'll have to spend more time on it and move on.

Hedwig

Silver

Post by Hedwig » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:45 pm

I think a lot of people would prefer to study LR or LG over RC - I mean, those passages are usually pretty boring, and who really wants to sit down and read four boring passages and answer questions on them?

However, on the real exam, you cannot substitute an LR or LG section for RC. You are going to have to read four passages and answer questions. You're going to have to suck it up, in short.

Are you able to pretend you're really interested in the passage? I try to make myself kind of interested in it, even if it's difficult, just try and pretend you're interested. Don't sit there thinking "this is boring this is dumb this is boring."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”