Retaking in October--Please help me with my study timeline Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
iwanta170

Bronze

Retaking in October--Please help me with my study timeline

Post by iwanta170 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:39 am

I was practice testing in the high 160's/low 170's (I started at 146 when I began studying 2.5 months prior) during the weeks leading up to the June 2010 test. The proctor messed up the timing in the first section and I cancelled my score a week later after a lot of thought because I wasn't confident I would get the score I wanted.

I haven't touched a LSAT book since my test. I am retaking in October (for free due to me sending a complaint in) though. It is my 2nd time taking the test. My plan is to take 2 practice tests a week for the 6-7 weeks leading up to the test. I might also do timed sections a few days a week if my schedule permits. Does this plan sound like a good one? Also, I'm on my LSAC account and they are selling all of the PrepTests from June 04 and on (18 in total). If I do 2 practice tests a week for 6-7 weeks thats obviously 12-14 tests. Will I be at more of an advantage if I buy all 18 tests and go through them all? I guess that would mean I'd do 3 tests during some of the weeks. I've seen many of the questions on these tests, so I'm hoping that I won't remember them when I start studying again.

sanetruth

Bronze

Re: Retaking in October--Please help me with my study timeline

Post by sanetruth » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:52 am

People are always worried about seeing questions they have done before, but i don't think its a bad thing. its a bad thing if you get them WRONG after seeing them already, but when I see a question that sounds familiar, i make sure to avoid picking an answer that i thought i picked before, and rather I go through the question as if its brand new and make sure I understand it.

Because the same types of questions and topics come up again and again, my thoughts are, if you're able to get all the questions you got wrong the first time around RIGHT when you see them again, then you're more prepared to confront similar type/topic/argumentative structures that show up on test day.

iwanta170

Bronze

Post by iwanta170 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:10 pm

Bumped. I'm hoping to buy the PrepTests today so please offer your opinion on what I should do-thanks!

StrictlyLiable

Bronze

Post by StrictlyLiable » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:14 pm

I would buy from CambridgeLSAT.com and print them yourself. You can make extra copies to take again, plus you save on bundles and stuff.

iwanta170

Bronze

Post by iwanta170 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:30 pm

Based on my circumstances, how many should I buy for 6-7 weeks worth of studying?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AverageTutoring

Bronze

Post by AverageTutoring » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:46 pm

iwanta170 wrote:Based on my circumstances, how many should I buy for 6-7 weeks worth of studying?
Well if you are going to buy them I would go with PTs 30-60. Gives you roughly a PT every other day. Of course you won't do them all straight. Some will be chopped and used as experimental sections others will be used as sections to be practiced throughout the day, etc. I would at least buy PTs 40-60 though...you can do 20 in two weeks, come on man!

Having said that, I am a big fan of the 20s PTs. Couldn't tell you why but those guys really resonate with me!

iwanta170

Bronze

Post by iwanta170 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:50 pm

AverageTutoring wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:Based on my circumstances, how many should I buy for 6-7 weeks worth of studying?
Well if you are going to buy them I would go with PTs 30-60. Gives you roughly a PT every other day. Of course you won't do them all straight. Some will be chopped and used as experimental sections others will be used as sections to be practiced throughout the day, etc. I would at least buy PTs 40-60 though...you can do 20 in two weeks, come on man!

Having said that, I am a big fan of the 20s PTs. Couldn't tell you why but those guys really resonate with me!
Well I'll have classes going on, plus it's my senior year. I guess I'll get all 18. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always got the feeling that 1-2 practice tests a week was better than doing them every day or every other day. I got so burned out from that. A fresh mind is a healthy mind right?

AverageTutoring

Bronze

Post by AverageTutoring » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:56 pm

iwanta170 wrote:
AverageTutoring wrote:

Well I'll have classes going on, plus it's my senior year. I guess I'll get all 18. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always got the feeling that 1-2 practice tests a week was better than doing them every day or every other day. I got so burned out from that. A fresh mind is a healthy mind right?
It would be my plan to buy the latest 30: chop 5 of those up to act as experimental sections and use another 5 for time practice sessions during select days. Which only leaves you with 20 PTs and if you did them uniformly, that would put you at about 1 every 3/4 days. This would be great for me.

However, if that would burn you out definitely do not do that! You have to be sharp for this exam. But the fact of the matter is I cant tell you what will take you to that 170 threshold. If you want to do 1/2 per week without timed sessions on off days and know that will get you there, then do that! There's no right or wrong answer here.

iwanta170

Bronze

Post by iwanta170 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:14 pm

AverageTutoring wrote:It would be my plan to buy the latest 30: chop 5 of those up to act as experimental sections and use another 5 for time practice sessions during select days. Which only leaves you with 20 PTs and if you did them uniformly, that would put you at about 1 every 3/4 days. This would be great for me.

However, if that would burn you out definitely do not do that! You have to be sharp for this exam. But the fact of the matter is I cant tell you what will take you to that 170 threshold. If you want to do 1/2 per week without timed sessions on off days and know that will get you there, then do that! There's no right or wrong answer here.
Thanks! I just bought the 18 most recent PrepTests. I also have most of the older preptests from 1991 to 2001 on a CD that I can print out. Is it OK to combine a recent PrepTest (aka between 2004-2010) with an experimental section from one of the tests from 1991-2001?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:15 pm

AverageTutoring wrote:
LOL this made me laugh but I can't exactly say why. I am a fan of the 30s my self lol.

AverageTutoring

Bronze

Post by AverageTutoring » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:19 pm

nStiver wrote:
AverageTutoring wrote:
LOL this made me laugh but I can't exactly say why. I am a fan of the 30s my self lol.
To that I would say you have the birds in the forest game! Score one for the 20s PTs!
iwanta170 wrote:
AverageTutoring wrote:It would be my plan to buy the latest 30: chop 5 of those up to act as experimental sections and use another 5 for time practice sessions during select days. Which only leaves you with 20 PTs and if you did them uniformly, that would put you at about 1 every 3/4 days. This would be great for me.

Thanks! I just bought the 18 most recent PrepTests. I also have most of the older preptests from 1991 to 2001 on a CD that I can print out. Is it OK to combine a recent PrepTest (aka between 2004-2010) with an experimental section from one of the tests from 1991-2001?
Absolutely. Why not? It exposes you to a wider variety of logical structure and I don't think anybody could argue that being a bad thing (it also means you don't have to chop up the most recent PTs for experimental sections).

iwanta170

Bronze

Post by iwanta170 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:44 pm

Awesome. I'm pumped..got my letters of rec almost done, transcript sent to LSAC, and personal statement will be done by the end of the summer so now when I get back to school I can put a solid 6-7 weeks into the LSAT. I think since I'm retaking it this should be enough and won't burn me out. I'm also thinking if I go out a few times a week and have a drink I will be less stressed this time

iwanta170

Bronze

Post by iwanta170 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:48 pm

bump

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”