Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
washin34

New

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Post by washin34 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:31 pm

When untimed, I can complete all sections with minus 0-4. When doing a timed portion, whether individual section or complete test I average -9-12 on each section. How did everyone combat this problem? What make it so frustrating is that i'm usually able to find my mistake with ease in relatively no time at all, reguardless of the section. What gives?

pattymac

Bronze

Re: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Post by pattymac » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:39 pm

More Pts I'd say.

vespertiliovir

Bronze

Post by vespertiliovir » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:44 pm

pattymac wrote:More Pts I'd say.
+1

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:48 pm

Nope. Absolutely not! Why would you take more PT's if youre currently not doing well on them? DONT take practice tests until youre ready. Youre obviously not ready since youre getting -10 or whatnot on each section.

On that note, of course youre going to do well on the sections untimed. If the LSAT had no time limit everyone could get a 180. What you need to do is gradually time yourself if youre having a problem with timing, which you are. Before you do that, make sure you have the basics down. Do you know how to do logic games? Do you understand what the questions are asking you for in the Logical Reasoning section? Are you able to read those long Readng Comprehension passages without a problem? Get the LSAT down then focus on doing the sections timed. Use the search function and look up things like "how to improve LR?" or "how to improve timing?". You'll find a lot of stuff. Also, if you havent done so already, look up pithypikes guide. It can help you.

Good luck!

Anaconda

Silver

Post by Anaconda » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:55 pm

gdane5 wrote:
Nope. Absolutely not! Why would you take more PT's if youre currently not doing well on them? DONT take practice tests until youre ready. Youre obviously not ready since youre getting -10 or whatnot on each section.

On that note, of course youre going to do well on the sections untimed. If the LSAT had no time limit everyone could get a 180. What you need to do is gradually time yourself if youre having a problem with timing, which you are. Before you do that, make sure you have the basics down. Do you know how to do logic games? Do you understand what the questions are asking you for in the Logical Reasoning section? Are you able to read those long Readng Comprehension passages without a problem? Get the LSAT down then focus on doing the sections timed. Use the search function and look up things like "how to improve LR?" or "how to improve timing?". You'll find a lot of stuff. Also, if you havent done so already, look up pithypikes guide. It can help you.

Good luck!
I think the problem is his timing is bad, he seems to have the fundamentals down if his accuracy untimed is high.

OP, try doing timed sections and then move onto timed PT's.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sh@keNb@ke

Bronze

Post by Sh@keNb@ke » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:06 pm

OP, try starting at like 37 minutes per section for a PT. Gradually decrease on your next PT to like 36 minutes, then 35, so on and so forth. You're going to want to do this until you can do sections timed anywhere from 32-33 minutes so you're solid on game day.

washin34

New

Post by washin34 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:27 pm

When I go back to find out why I got a question wrong, I can usually figure it out with relative ease. I guess being timed makes me subconsciously panic. I find myself looking at the timer about 3 times per LG section and about twice on LR and RC. I usually wait until the 15th question to look at the timer on the LR, but on LG I glance after every game or when I think I'm spending a lot of time on a question. Sometimes, although rarely, I even run out of time on LG.

Is this something that can be cured with simply more PT/timed section practice? I will implement the shortened time strategy mention by shakenbake. What else can I do to help me keep from getting worked up when I'm taking timed tests/sections?

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:52 pm

washin34 wrote:When I go back to find out why I got a question wrong, I can usually figure it out with relative ease. I guess being timed makes me subconsciously panic. I find myself looking at the timer about 3 times per LG section and about twice on LR and RC. I usually wait until the 15th question to look at the timer on the LR, but on LG I glance after every game or when I think I'm spending a lot of time on a question. Sometimes, although rarely, I even run out of time on LG.

Is this something that can be cured with simply more PT/timed section practice? I will implement the shortened time strategy mention by shakenbake. What else can I do to help me keep from getting worked up when I'm taking timed tests/sections?
Don't look at the time? On the real test you get a 5min warning... basically I would set my timer to go off at 30m and the another to off at 35. Worked for me. Its all about pacing yourself but at the same time focusing on the questions not the timed aspect.

blhblahblah

Bronze

Post by blhblahblah » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:06 pm

use the gradual time reduction technique (i.e., 45, 43, 41, 39, etc.)

also, stop viewing the test as a horse race: begin and work at a pace that is comfortable, yet progressive. the gap between your pace and expected pace will narrow as you work your way down to 35.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DGLitcH

New

Post by DGLitcH » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:04 am

I understand exactly what you mean; I have a similar problem. Unfortunately, timing is a big part of the test.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:19 am

When you take a PT untimed, how long does it take you to complete each section?

I second the "don't look at the clock even when you're timing" advice. Maybe limit the # of times you look at your watch, set specific signposts when you're "allowed" to look at it (3~4 times per section perhaps) - and keep it faced down the rest of the time so you don't unconsciously look at it? The timer thing would work too. I personally found myself less frantic/worried about once I got some sort of timing "strategy" implemented, probably because I felt more in control and I knew what the impact of a couple more minutes on a passage/question would be, and I could automatically adjust for that without having to worry about it too much.

I do think that with practice this will go away - it just sounds like you're just too nervous & worried about time to focus properly. I know this doesn't help much, but really try to relax. Of course, if it's taking you 50+ minutes per section untimed, then my advice would probably be different. Right now I'm assuming that untimed it's taking you 35~40ish minutes per section or so.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:22 pm

Bridging the gap gradually is the good advice in this topic. If right now it takes you 45 minutes to complete a section (untimed), then try to time yourself at 40 minutes. When you can do that accurately, try to time yourself a 37-38 minutes. When you can do that accurately, drop the time again. This was the method I used with games (had to start at something like 60 minutes per section and work down from there), and it worked really, really well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”