terrible diagnostic, quest for 170+, 11 month journey Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
1Lbound

New

terrible diagnostic, quest for 170+, 11 month journey

Post by 1Lbound » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:19 pm

Hi all, new to TLS but been a casual observer for awhile.
I just took a cold diagnostic and got 152. I am aiming for T14 and wish to get 170+, ideally in mid 170s. I know that this seems very ambitious and unreasonable. That being said, I am planning on taking the June 2011 exam, which gives me almost a full year to study. Most plans I have read are for 3-4 months. But I have time to spare and determination to crack the LSAT.
I am just curious if any of you have had success studying for such a long time, and if there is even enough material to keep me occupied for that long? Note that I am still in school so for most of the time, I will be a full time student and can probably study an hour or so a day, if that (although I could crank it up if you guys dont think that's enough prep time).

I'm guessing that most of you will say to not worry about it now and just cram like hell with 4 months to go, but honestly I don't know if I can improve so drastically like that. I really need to crack 170 so I'm willing to do anything at this point. Powerscore/Testmasters courses and/or private tutoring are all feasible options as well, I'm just not sure about the logistics i.e. when to take them.

Any thoughts? I'd appreciate it.

Mce252

Silver

Re: terrible diagnostic, quest for 170+, 11 month journey

Post by Mce252 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:26 pm

I would pinpoint your weaknesses and focus on those areas for the next several months. Use the same material repeatedly during the first half of your time studying. Then, about six months out, I would set up a schedule to practice with original past tests.

You will get burnt out and you will run out of material if you don't plan correctly. Find all of your material and then make your schedule. Deal with burn out as it comes along; don't go too hard during the first several months.

1Lbound

New

Post by 1Lbound » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:05 pm

So you're saying to just keep doing the same problems (a few PTs) over and over again?
I was thinking of taking a slow and steady approach, maybe 1 PT a week for like 6 months, and then after that start really cramming. Is this advisable?

Also, would it be best to self study at first, take a course with a few months until the exam, and then self study/private tutor for the last stretch?

My RC seemed to be my weakest section. Is this bad news, as it is less "learnable" than say, the LG section? Any advice other than to read the Economist daily?

Thanks

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:05 pm

That's not that terrible of a diagnostic. 170 is possible

blhblahblah

Bronze

Post by blhblahblah » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:09 pm

A friend of mine went from a 156 to 180. It's definitely doable. Even more so if most of your errors came from LG.

Start off with SuperPrep A, B, and C. Read and digest the explanations. Use PT 1-39 for untimed section practice. Use 40-60 for timed, full-length practice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nestico87

New

Post by Nestico87 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:23 pm

I think that is a very realistic goal, so long as you work for it. One thing that might help is to plan a series of "dress rehearsal" PTs. For example, if you want to get a 175 by next June, then choose some day in December when you will sit down and pretend to take the real thing and shoot for a 165 (or something like that).

The point is, don't just have one determined goal. Instead, have a series of goals that will help you track your progress. If you take a dress rehearsal PT and you don't make your goal, than you know you need to start spending a lot more time and work harder in order to stay on track.

Also, make sure you check out the 165+ thread here the the TLS forum.

1Lbound

New

Post by 1Lbound » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:38 pm

thank you all for the encouragement! I just wanted to run some numbers to help my planning, as I like to have things pretty much organized.
I have 10 months actually, which is roughly 40 weeks (figured I would take a week off here and there).

For 40 weeks, how many hours a week on average would you say I should spend? I am planning on reading a few books (Powerscore bibles, Kaplan 180, etc) cover to cover more than once, and I will get access to as many PTs as necessary, I am thinking #s 20-60 as the earlier ones seem to be irrelevant.

Keep in mind that I am planning on taking a slow and steady approach, keeping pace rather than cramming in clumps, although I will most definitely cram in the weeks leading up to the test.
I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks all

Bingus McBadger

New

Post by Bingus McBadger » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:40 pm

1L bound is a stinky little turd and he smells like a hound and has a beak like a bird. 1L bound, i don't even know you, but i hate you alreeeeeeeady. OYYYYYYY YARN!

eberryhill7

New

Post by eberryhill7 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:14 pm

So I am in a similar situation (157 on my diagnostic and I will get a 180 on the real thing when I take it in June 2011) and this is currently my plan.
Now-December 10:
I am going to subscribe to the Economist, The Smithsonian, and Scientific American and read every article.
I am going to read all of my reading homework for my reading intensive humanities classes.
I am going to argue with everyone that I can in order to develop my logic skills.
December 10- January
I am going to work through the Logic Games Bible.
I am going to take three full practice tests and review every question.
February
I am going to work through the Logic Reasoning Bible.
March
I am going to work through Kaplan 180.
April
I am going to take three practice tests per week and review every question.
May
I am going to take four practice tests per week and review every question.
June
I am going to kinda chill but take three practice tests.

I believe that taking the first few months w/o studying LSAT stuff will help me avoid burnout, but since I'm starting 6 months before the test I will have a lot of time to review and study everything I need. This is just my plan and is in no way perfect, but I believe that it will be the best way for me to reach my goal on test day.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:20 pm

Use your time to do every released LSAT problem 1/4 as PT's and the rest as timed sections. Figure out why you got each one wrong and do it again until can be done quickly and correctly. I can virtually guarantee you a 170+ if you do this.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”