is this too much Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
northwood

Platinum

is this too much

Post by northwood » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:22 pm

I am getting ready for the october exam. I have been focusing pretty heavily on logic games for the past month or 2. I am now starting to get through the lr section. Is it too much to do flashcards of each category, with the category on one side, and key phrases and things to look for on the other side), review them nightly, and do timed sections made up of individual question types- reviewing and only allowing 33 minutes per section of 26, then donig regular old prep test sections of LR? Is this being to redundant, and will lead to burnout/ loss of prep tests ( i have them all). I started off missing about half of the questions on this section, and know this will be a huge key to success on the october exam. Is this good, or are there better approaches to this?

thanks

Audio Technica Guy

Bronze

Re: is this too much

Post by Audio Technica Guy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:36 pm

It's not too much. There are better approaches, but most involve having a great teacher/tutor.

Hedwig

Silver

Post by Hedwig » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:41 pm

Review your flashcards nightly until you get them. Make a pile of ones you have memorized, and a pile of those you don't always know immediately. Keep reviewing the ones you don't know until you can put them in the memorized pile, and do the memorized pile around once a week or however frequently you think you need to keep up that level of remembrance. I'd say EVERY SINGLE NIGHT is a bit much unless you are trying to remember Aslan's instructions and your name is Jill, and then that would be advised.

I love flashcards but I'm not sure they're always the best recourse. I might make up some flashcards for the LR bible, but probably not a lot.

This thread has reminded me that I need to start reviewing my Latin flashcards again for September. Eeek.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:51 pm

i am also enrolled in an online lsat course. I am starting to get really nervous about the test, and I want to know if I should keep doing what im doing, or try another approach. thanks for the help so far!

Upton Sinclair

Bronze

Post by Upton Sinclair » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:00 pm

Not so sure about the flash cards, but then again, I'm personally not that kind of learner.

What I did was go through PrepTests 7-39 (whichever ones are in the books of 10), and separate each of them by type. Do one type for 2 days or so (15-20 questions per day), then go to the next. You'll probably find that you are getting better without having to memorize hardfast "rules" or things to look for. Just make sure you review not just the ones you got wrong, but also the ones you thought were difficult, but answered correct regardless. You'll start to see some patterns that will allow you to eliminate incorrect answer choices faster.

Then you can use tests 40-47 and do entire timed sections. Do them in 33 minutes if you want, but the key is to get them right. I originally planned on reducing the time I gave myself for these sections, but never found the need to. If you can finish the first ten questions (generally easier) in around ten minutes, you have 25 minutes for the remaining 15. That should be plenty.

Save the most recent tests for taking as actual full-length practice tests. These are the most similar to what you will get on D-Day.

StrictlyLiable

Bronze

Post by StrictlyLiable » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:16 pm

I would recommend just taking a few tests untimed and analyzing both correct and incorrect questions to see why you chose them. After practice you can read the question and already know what the answer will look like before you even read the stimulus. On a personal note, I made my biggest strides in LR after studying intensely for RC but that's just me

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”