lr pacing Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
northwood

Platinum

lr pacing

Post by northwood » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:38 am

I have been going over sections of lr from old prep tests. I can complete the sections untimed and get around a -3 ( Parallel questions are still tripping me). When i timed myself, my mistakes dramatically increase ( to minus 12 ish) IS there any good pacing, or should I still be doing hte sections untimed ( I ve only done 3 complete sections timed and untimed)

Still havent done the games section timed. Any suggestions to keep the accuracy while increasing speed when i get throuigh all of the game types?? Grouping games take forever ( 15 minutes untimed), and I am still having trouble finding that one major deduction at the beginning of the game,.

thanks for the help/ listening to the rant

3|ink

Platinum

Re: lr pacing

Post by 3|ink » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:39 am

northwood wrote:I have been going over sections of lr from old prep tests. I can complete the sections untimed and get around a -3 ( Parallel questions are still tripping me). When i timed myself, my mistakes dramatically increase ( to minus 12 ish) IS there any good pacing, or should I still be doing hte sections untimed ( I ve only done 3 complete sections timed and untimed)

Still havent done the games section timed. Any suggestions to keep the accuracy while increasing speed when i get throuigh all of the game types?? Grouping games take forever ( 15 minutes untimed), and I am still having trouble finding that one major deduction at the beginning of the game,.

thanks for the help/ listening to the rant
Have you read any prep material or did you just jump right in to the tests?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:43 am

i am prepping by taking an class, and supplimenting it with extra test released questions for more homework ( i do 8-10 extra for each type that we do in class). I have done arguments, main point, conclusion, stregnthen and weaken questions.

For flaw questions, i do well with extgra time.. but really struggle with them under time constraints.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:46 am

northwood wrote:i am prepping by taking an class, and supplimenting it with extra test released questions for more homework ( i do 8-10 extra for each type that we do in class). I have done arguments, main point, conclusion, stregnthen and weaken questions.

For flaw questions, i do well with extgra time.. but really struggle with them under time constraints.
What class are you taking?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:46 am

princeton review

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:08 am

Dont supplement. I dont understand why people do this. Do what the class asks of you and nothing more. The purpose of the class is to fine tune your LSAT skills. By the time the class ends you'll have done some practice tests in class and then you can do them on your own. In an effort to "improve" by supplementing what youre doing in class, youre hurting yourself.
Just relax and do whats asked of you.

Good luck!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:14 am

thanks... I dont know, i just feel as though I need to do more work. I'm afraid that if i dont constantly work on it, ill forget what I have learned in class. The class does end a month before the test, so I will have that month to do prep tests and double check my weak areas, but i guess i am worrying about something that really isnt a big enough deal to worry about

yzero1

Bronze

Post by yzero1 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:31 am

Seems like you just need more time to practice. If you've only done 3 complete sections of LR, your results may not be a good indicator of your potential. I would just keep working on the questions that bother you the most (like the parallels) and figure out where your mistakes are coming from. I find from experience that the source of most of my mistakes on the LR section are due an insufficient understanding of the stimulus. Maybe work on really getting a good grasp of the logical relationships of the stimuli before you start consistently timing yourself.

Games will just take practice. Once you drill a sufficient amount, your speed will naturally increase. Grouping games are tough at first, but once you have a handle on suff/necc conditions, they get a lot better.

blhblahblah

Bronze

Post by blhblahblah » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:04 am

northwood wrote:IS there any good pacing, or should I still be doing hte sections untimed ( I ve only done 3 complete sections timed and untimed)
Yes. Continue doing untimed LR until you're able to reliably pump out perfect scores (or until you reach your plateau).

Once you reach this stage, move on to timing yourself.

In terms of timing strategies, I'd recommend using the gradual time reduction method, where you allow yourself 45 per LR section to begin with, then work your way down to 35 in 1 or 2 minute increments. You may even want to undertime yourself and finish in 33, as a way to create an extra time reserve in case you need it on the real thing

hth

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”