Diminishing returns when studying for the LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Zadig

New

Diminishing returns when studying for the LSAT

Post by Zadig » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:14 pm

After reading some of the threads in this forum, it seems to be the general consensus that three months is the ideal length of time to study for the LSAT. My question is, would one encounter significantly diminishing returns for studying much longer than that? Considering that the LSAT plays such an important part in determining a person's future place of study, would it be out of the question to study (even casually) for, say, one more month in front of those ideal three?

sophia.olive

Silver

Re: Diminishing returns when studying for the LSAT

Post by sophia.olive » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:20 pm

I would assume it is about how you study and how rest more so than a time frame. I imagine if you study and relax well for 2 years you can easily get a 180

StrictlyLiable

Bronze

Post by StrictlyLiable » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:32 pm

I've been studying relentlessly since February and I've taken several different entire weeks off. Seems to help when your returns are diminishing...

Bryan

New

Post by Bryan » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:53 pm

Last edited by Bryan on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zadig

New

Post by Zadig » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:50 am

I figured that familiarizing yourself with the material before starting your intense (everyday/every other day) is probably a good idea, but I also assumed that if someone studied "relentlessly" for a semester (rather than three months) that they would probably 1) burn out and 2) not even score better than someone who had been studying for a shorter (dare I say more reasonable) amount of time.

For those of you who have weighed in I thank you, and if anyone else would like to add their opinion feel free...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

twryan

New

Post by twryan » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:43 am

I had been hitting it hard for the past month and a half in preparation for Oct. I felt myself starting to become burnt out and I have stepped away from all material for the past 3 days. I'm now concerned I will become complacent and lose all motivation! I intend on easing back into it here in the near future. Can anyone else relate to this "cycle?"

rklafehn

Bronze

Post by rklafehn » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:46 am

When studying for the June exam, I took an entire week off three weeks before the exam (had been studying for over two months). Sometimes you simply need a break IMO.

And I will be able to comment on the diminishing returns of a longer study after the October exam is complete. I took off a little over a month after taking the LSAT (waiting, getting my score, deciding to retake) before starting to study again this week for about four hours a day on weekdays. However, I believe that the diminished returns you speak of are very relative. For example, I got a 168 in June. Thus, the most possible points I can improve on my test is 12. And, realistically, the most I believe I can improve upon the 168 is around eight points. Thus, the amount of net return is small. But, those few extra points could definitely mean the difference between getting into a top school and possibly receiving scholarship money (not a small return).

nextstep

New

Post by nextstep » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:33 pm

This is an important question since it's really hard to predict how you'll feel about the test 4 months from now. I think 3-4 months is an ideal study window, so the answer to OP's question is that the 4th month is fine.

There are indeed diminishing rates of return. One of the most obvious reasons for this is that there are less than 60 real preptests out there, and really only 40 or so that replicate the feel of the modern test in each of the sections. Even if you wanted to study for 6 months, at the end of it you'd be using LSAT for Dummies material (not recommended).

At a psychological level, at some point you're going to hit your score plateau. You'd really rather this not happen 2 months before the test, because then you're just banging your head against a wall for the last 2 months. That's what causes frustration, burn-out, and lower scores.

John
Next Step Test Preparation

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”