Working out before the LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Azmatt

Bronze

Working out before the LSAT

Post by Azmatt » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:01 pm

I've noticed that I do a lot better on PTs after I workout. I'm not sure if it's because the workout takes away a lot of the adrenaline or endorphins, but the results are pretty clear.

I'm just curious if anyone has noticed this as well. I'm certainly a lot more calm after working out generally. I'm considering implementing this into my practice and maybe on the day of the test. I imagine it would help a lot with anxiety and adrenaline.

Do you guys/gals have any experience or any tips? I'm certainly a cocky fuck after the gym (I usually think of myself as somewhat modest..)... so, I don't think that extra confidence would hurt. :lol:

Patriot1208

Platinum

Re: Working out before the LSAT

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:12 pm

I'll probably run before hand since I do every saturday morning

ninjasrule

New

Post by ninjasrule » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:20 pm

Yeah, why not? Some people have stranger pre-test routines. Just beware that after you exercise, your body temperature rises a little. The fall in body temperature might make you really sleepy.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:28 pm

ninjasrule wrote:Yeah, why not? Some people have stranger pre-test routines. Just beware that after you exercise, your body temperature rises a little. The fall in body temperature might make you really sleepy.
Vivarin for the win

GettingReady2010

Bronze

Post by GettingReady2010 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:37 pm

My LSAT score went up a lot after I started running beforehand; however, this could attributed better preparation. Regardless, I think it's a good idea to get the blood flowing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TrojanHopeful

Bronze

Post by TrojanHopeful » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:41 pm

I've always felt that I study much better after working out or running. I have never taken a test immediately after exercising though, so I cannot comment on that.

You know, the adrenaline only lasts so long...maybe you should do push-ups and mountain climbers during break. 8)

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:42 pm

TrojanHopeful wrote:I've always felt that I study much better after working out or running. I have never taken a test immediately after exercising though, so I cannot comment on that.

You know, the adrenaline only lasts so long...maybe you should do push-ups and mountain climbers during break. 8)
God I hope I see someone doing this, maybe i'll pull out a perfect pull up and put it in the doorway.

Azmatt

Bronze

Post by Azmatt » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:43 pm

I think there's been studies about physical activity being directly related with increased brain activity. I might be mistaken. Either way, I'd like to find out. Anyone have any biochemistry info to add? I'm just trying to peak mentally and physically right around that time. Plus, if I don't workout in general then I'll just become a sloppy overstressed mess...

Then again, there's always adderall :lol:

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:22 pm

The morning of September 26th, 2009 I went out for a run around my block at 7:25 am. The run lasted 15 minutes. The first run was a complete and total sprint around the block that took 5 minutes. The second run was more of a walk that took 10 minutes. At approximately 8:15 am I arrived at the testing center and proceeded to throw up in my car. In the vomit were the eggs and ginkgo biloba pills I took at 7:45 am. I had planned to eat some tuna in my car prior to entering the center to give myself a little more of a "boost", but I felt so sick after vomiting I didnt eat it. So, I took the LSAT with no food in my body whatsoever. Needless to say I scored very poorly (over 150, but under 156).

I know getting sick can be attributed to a lot of things I did that morning, but 1) Im a gym freak so a little activity doesnt kill me like it would a fat person/non gym freak 2) Id been taking Ginkgo for about 2 months prior to that in the mornings after every meal so taking it that morning was just "part of the routine" 3) Eggs were nothing new to me and it was my breakfast of choice and 4) Im not a nervous guy so I didnt feel pressure.

I started feeling sick on my drive to the test center. My guess was that working out so early made me sick. I would say dont go overboard. Maybe a few pushups, DEFINITELY strech, possibly jack it if you have time.

Good luck!

EDIT: I noticed you said you wanted to peak mentally and physically before the test, but chances are that the benefits of any pre-LSAT workout will be long gone by the time you actually start taking the test, which most people start at roughly 9:30.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:30 pm

gdane5 wrote:The morning of September 26th, 2009 I went out for a run around my block at 7:25 am. The run lasted 15 minutes. The first run was a complete and total sprint around the block that took 5 minutes. The second run was more of a walk that took 10 minutes. At approximately 8:15 am I arrived at the testing center and proceeded to throw up in my car. In the vomit were the eggs and ginkgo biloba pills I took at 7:45 am. I had planned to eat some tuna in my car prior to entering the center to give myself a little more of a "boost", but I felt so sick after vomiting I didnt eat it. So, I took the LSAT with no food in my body whatsoever. Needless to say I scored very poorly (over 150, but under 156).

I know getting sick can be attributed to a lot of things I did that morning, but 1) Im a gym freak so a little activity doesnt kill me like it would a fat person/non gym freak 2) Id been taking Ginkgo for about 2 months prior to that in the mornings after every meal so taking it that morning was just "part of the routine" 3) Eggs were nothing new to me and it was my breakfast of choice and 4) Im not a nervous guy so I didnt feel pressure.

I started feeling sick on my drive to the test center. My guess was that working out so early made me sick. I would say dont go overboard. Maybe a few pushups, DEFINITELY strech, possibly jack it if you have time.

Good luck!

EDIT: I noticed you said you wanted to peak mentally and physically before the test, but chances are that the benefits of any pre-LSAT workout will be long gone by the time you actually start taking the test, which most people start at roughly 9:30.
Not to be mean, but clearly you are not a gym freak, unless you had massive nerves. I always run early, and on an empty stomach, in fact I did 7 miles at 7 am this morning before eating anything.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:03 pm

Im definitely a gym freak. Ive got a super nice body and I do a lot of cardio. I think the problem was that I ran so early. I never did that. Stupid on my behalf.

neimanmarxist

Bronze

Post by neimanmarxist » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:54 pm

I took a brisk walk to the library (1 .5 miles) every morning when I was getting ready for the LSAT, and did my PTs at the library. The morning of the LSAT, I took a brisk walk. I felt the morning air helped me wake up and feel alert.

* for full disclosure, I actually bombed my first LSAT (10 points below avg. PT score) and didn't perform up to standard on the 2nd, but I'm pretty sure that had more to do with the fact that I was a neurotic knot of pure anxiety during the test and less with the morning walk :mrgreen:

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:59 pm

I know some people who said that working out before taking the LSATs helped them relax. However, if you don't regularly work out at that time, don't do it on the day of the LSAT. Do whatever you usually do in the mornings.

If you find you do PTs better after working out, then I'd suggest incorporating an early-morning workout followed by a PT into your schedule (if you can), so that your body gets used to it by test date.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:07 pm

I ran multiple times a day in the months before my LSAT. I didn't run on the day of my LSAT though... however I credit that routine and eating extremely healthy as a part of the reason of my success on the LSAT. I noticed that if I ran before a PT I would score on the higher end of my range... could be just coincidence though.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:12 pm

gdane5 wrote:Im definitely a gym freak. Ive got a super nice body and I do a lot of cardio. I think the problem was that I ran so early. I never did that. Stupid on my behalf.
lol, outed as a fatty

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:14 pm

gdane5 wrote:The morning of September 26th, 2009 I went out for a run around my block at 7:25 am. The run lasted 15 minutes. The first run was a complete and total sprint around the block that took 5 minutes. The second run was more of a walk that took 10 minutes. At approximately 8:15 am I arrived at the testing center and proceeded to throw up in my car. In the vomit were the eggs and ginkgo biloba pills I took at 7:45 am. I had planned to eat some tuna in my car prior to entering the center to give myself a little more of a "boost", but I felt so sick after vomiting I didnt eat it. So, I took the LSAT with no food in my body whatsoever. Needless to say I scored very poorly (over 150, but under 156).

Good luck!

The oxygen debt you caused for yourself during your sprint might very well have been the cause of your nausea. A former teammate of mine used to puke after every hard effort between 2 and 6 minutes. If it was shorter or longer, fine. But that range was puke-inducing.

I'm so brain dead after running that I don't see how y'all can do it. But kudos all the same.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:16 pm

kazu wrote:I know some people who said that working out before taking the LSATs helped them relax. However, if you don't regularly work out at that time, don't do it on the day of the LSAT. Do whatever you usually do in the mornings.

If you find you do PTs better after working out, then I'd suggest incorporating an early-morning workout followed by a PT into your schedule (if you can), so that your body gets used to it by test date.
+1 Have a set routine that you follow in the weeks leading up to the LSAT. If something works for you, include it in the routine. But don't switch things up on the big day- you want to eliminate stressors and maintain as much normalcy as possible.

Since you have plenty of time before the October LSAT, I would try experimenting with a morning exercise/run and seeing how you feel and perform afterward. I imagine exercise (and various degrees of exercise) will affect everyone differently- much how the stress of this test will affect everyone differently. See what works for you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dub

New

Post by dub » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:22 pm

gdane5 wrote:Im definitely a gym freak. Ive got a super nice body and I do a lot of cardio. I think the problem was that I ran so early. I never did that. Stupid on my behalf.
pics or didnt happen

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:30 pm

dub wrote:
pics or didnt happen

Precessional

New

Post by Precessional » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:58 pm

When Bobby Fischer was still an all-worlds chess player, he would run 5+ miles a day to stay in health. There is that necessary link between cardiovascular fitness and mental acuity and endurance. In general, gym or morning jogs should fit well into the LSAT-nut's preparation. =)

GettingReady2010

Bronze

Post by GettingReady2010 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:12 am

Precessional wrote:When Bobby Fischer was still an all-worlds chess player, he would run 5+ miles a day to stay in health. There is that necessary link between cardiovascular fitness and mental acuity and endurance. In general, gym or morning jogs should fit well into the LSAT-nut's preparation. =)
I don't know this for a fact, but I think this statement is very much so true. I would just echo what others have said - If you do workout, make it a routine and don't just do it on gameday.

However, don't expect cardio to magically give you a great LSAT or score or even an extra point.

Azmatt

Bronze

Post by Azmatt » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:38 am

i'm not saying that we should all run to the testing center.. :)

An early morning workout/run with moderate exertion.. then breakfast and small preptime.. should still have endorphins running through your system and it should ease some anxiety. I know I usually feel great/energetic throughout the day if I workout/run early, so... We'll have to try it out..

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”