Got my first 165. How to make the jump to 170 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
unattended bag

New

Got my first 165. How to make the jump to 170

Post by unattended bag » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:44 pm

Got a 165 on PT #21 today (initial diagnostic of 149 5 weeks ago). This was my 10th PT. Somehow, RC has become my best section (-3). I'm getting-4/-5 on LG, and anywhere between -5 and -7 on LR sections.

I know I'm missing too many LG questions, but I have a feeling I'm going to do at least 2-3 points better on the newer LSAT LG sections, since everyone says it's gotten easier. Other than that, any suggestions on how I can break into the 170s? I go over every wrong answer in LR and ask myself the usual questions, but I haven't seen much improvement yet.

Thanks in advance.

beachbum

Gold

Re: Got my first 165. How to make the jump to 170

Post by beachbum » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:57 pm

Don't assume anything about games. They were noticeably easier in the early-mid 50's, but the most recent tests have had very difficult logic games.

What outside help (i.e. Powerscore, Kaplan, TM, etc) are you using to study? I've found that prepping with one of these systems/classes is infinitely more helpful and efficient than going at it alone.

Also, there seems to be a line of thought around here that taking massive quantities of PTs and reviewing them is the single best way of improving your score. In my experience, this was not the case. While PTs should still be a regular part of your routine (around 1/week early on, then increasing in frequency as you approach the test date), I've found it equally as helpful to review individual sections and question types. For instance, parallel reasoning was always a weak point for me, so I spent a while doing nothing but these types of questions. Or if reading comp (for example) is a tough section, practice with several sections of RC.

And if nothing else, Pithypike's guide seems to do the trick for most.

cubswin

Silver

Re: Got my first 165. How to make the jump to 170

Post by cubswin » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:01 pm

unattended bag wrote:Got a 165 on PT #21 today (initial diagnostic of 149 5 weeks ago). This was my 10th PT. Somehow, RC has become my best section (-3). I'm getting-4/-5 on LG, and anywhere between -5 and -7 on LR sections.

I know I'm missing too many LG questions, but I have a feeling I'm going to do at least 2-3 points better on the newer LSAT LG sections, since everyone says it's gotten easier. Other than that, any suggestions on how I can break into the 170s? I go over every wrong answer in LR and ask myself the usual questions, but I haven't seen much improvement yet.

Thanks in advance.
The newer RCs are much harder. And while beachbum is correct about most recent tests having a difficult game or two on them, most of the games, I think, are easier than the sections from the 20s.

My guess is that you are saving most of the recent tests for the weeks right before the actual exam. My advice is that you take one of the tests from the 50s now to get an idea of how you are scoring.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”