Besides PowerScore, Who Offers Good Lessons on Formal Logic? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
MagnumLifeStyle

Bronze

Besides PowerScore, Who Offers Good Lessons on Formal Logic?

Post by MagnumLifeStyle » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:05 pm

Last edited by MagnumLifeStyle on Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sumus romani

Silver

Re: Besides PowerScore, Who Offers Good Lessons on Formal Logic?

Post by sumus romani » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:10 pm

Take a logic class in college. The "some train" stuff is relevant for only around one or two questions per test. If you insist on learning it, then you have to take a logic course with symbolic logic in it. What you are looking for is a textbook with an upside-down 'A' and backwards 'E'. I am not making this up.

Audio Technica Guy

Bronze

Post by Audio Technica Guy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:22 pm

sumus romani wrote:Take a logic class in college. The "some train" stuff is relevant for only around one or two questions per test. If you insist on learning it, then you have to take a logic course with symbolic logic in it. What you are looking for is a textbook with an upside-down 'A' and backwards 'E'. I am not making this up.
You don't really need to take a class in symbolic logic for this. There are only 3 rules when it comes to what powerscore calls "formal logic"

1) Positive quantity reversal: That is any time a positive quantity goes in one direction, some comes back in the opposite direction. That is (insert positive quantity word) A's are B's implies some B's are A's

Examples:

All A's are B's --> some B's are A's
Most A's are B's --> some B's are A's
Some A's are B's --> some B's are A's

2) Multiple mosts rule: Any time you have two or more mosts (or greater) coming out of one group, then "some" connects the two groups that the most are going to.

Examples:

Most A's are B's, Most A's are C's --> Some B's are C's
All A's are B's, most A's are C's --> Some B's are C's
Most A's are B's, most A's are C's, Most A's are D's --> some B's are C's, some B's are D's and some C's are D's

3) All jump rule: Any time all goes from one quantity to another, whatever goes into the first quantity then get's to jump directly into the second.

Examples:

Some A's are B's, all B's are C's --> Some A's are C's
Most A's are B's, all B's are C's --> Most A's are C's
All A's are B's, all B's are C's --> All A's are C's

It's kind of hard to give a written explanation of these rules, at least in the context of a message board, but people run into trouble mostly when they make them more complicated than they are.
Last edited by Audio Technica Guy on Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MagnumLifeStyle

Bronze

Post by MagnumLifeStyle » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:19 pm

Last edited by MagnumLifeStyle on Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Audio Technica Guy

Bronze

Post by Audio Technica Guy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:31 pm

MagnumLifeStyle wrote:Audio Technica Guy,

As always, thanks for your clarification -- simply brilliant.

I've read in your previous posts that you've written some text for a test prep company. Do you sell them online?
I work for Princeton Review. Yes, you can buy TPR books online from amazon. The books are okay, but mostly what I do is work with the classroom part of our company. There may or may not be some of the problems I've made up and some of the explanations I've contributed in the books you can buy on Amazon. To be honest I'm not sure. I periodically get a very small royalties check from TPR, but I'm really not sure what its for anymore.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MagnumLifeStyle

Bronze

Post by MagnumLifeStyle » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:35 pm

Last edited by MagnumLifeStyle on Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Audio Technica Guy

Bronze

Post by Audio Technica Guy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:39 pm

MagnumLifeStyle wrote:I've never read or used anything from Princetown Review.

Is their method radically different from PowerScore's to merit some difficulty in adjusting?

In other words, would you recommend those who are used to PowerScore to also may be try Princetown Review?
Are both compatible?
Princeton Review's primary strength is in its class offerings especially our 24 class, 84 hour hyperlearning class. The prep books we sell at like Borders or Amazon are okay, but to be honest they're not really any better than any of the other companies' prep books. If you've started with the powerscore bibles, I'd probably just stick to those.

Entchen

Silver

Post by Entchen » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:14 pm

I really like The Logic Book by James Moor. New it's like $90, but you can find used copies online for like...$5. See: http://www.campusbooks.com/books/nonfic ... ition.html

It was the book we used in my undergrad intro logic class. And, in the interest of full disclosure, he was my professor (though for a different class). It is more formal logic than you will need for the LSAT, but it's fun and will get you thinking the right way.

Good luck!

barnum

New

Post by barnum » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:45 pm

Audio Technica Guy wrote:
sumus romani wrote:

2) Multiple mosts rule: Any time you have two or more mosts (or greater) coming out of one group, then "some" connects the two groups that the most are going to.

Examples:

Most A's are B's, most B's are C's, Most A's are D's --> some B's are C's, some B's are D's and some C's are D's
The bolded part is not correct. If you have most As are Bs and most Bs are Cs, then no inference can be made. As Audio said in the rule the two mosts must be coming out of one group. In the bolded part, the first most is with the A and in the second the most is with the B, then no inference is possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

barnum

New

Post by barnum » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:48 pm

sumus romani wrote:
3) All jump rule: Any time all goes from one quantity to another, whatever goes into the first quantity then get's to jump directly into the second.

Examples:

This bolded rule may also be a bit misleading. This is only true if the second statement is the "all" statement. For example

All As are Bs, Some Bs are Cs, then no inference would be possible.

Audio Technica Guy

Bronze

Post by Audio Technica Guy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:52 pm

barnum wrote:
sumus romani wrote:

Examples:

Most A's are B's, most B's are C's, Most A's are D's --> some B's are C's, some B's are D's and some C's are D's
The bolded part is not correct. If you have most As are Bs and most Bs are Cs, then no inference can be made. As Audio said in the rule the two mosts must be coming out of one group. In the bolded part, the first most is with the A and in the second the most is with the B, then no inference is possible.
Yeah, made a mistake there. The "most B's are C's" was supposed to say "most A's are C's". Sorry for the typo and any confusion it may have brought about.

I fixed it in my original post now.

Audio Technica Guy

Bronze

Post by Audio Technica Guy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:55 pm

barnum wrote:
sumus romani wrote:

Examples:

This bolded rule may also be a bit misleading. This is only true if the second statement is the "all" statement. For example

All As are Bs, Some Bs are Cs, then no inference would be possible.
I think it's correct as written, it's just hard to explain without a visual. What I mean by "first quantity" is what the all is coming from. So if all A's are B's is the statement, I would call A's the first quantity. Whatever goes into A's gets to jump into B's. Again, kind of awkward to word, but easy enough to show with diagrams.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”