Study plan for Full time workers?? Help.. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Barbie

Gold

Study plan for Full time workers?? Help..

Post by Barbie » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:21 pm

I got a 163 in June but want to improve by 1 point! I will be REALLY happy with a 164, and a chance to slide into the 164+ wall at UGA. Anyways, I should point out that a 163 is good for me. I got a 154 cold in Feb. To prep for June, I only took about 6 PTs and read maybe 2-3 hours worth of instruction in a book. My PT were all over the place, but my highest was a 163 (2x). I'm scared to re-take, because I think I might do worse. I know I haven't put much effort into studying, but I'm really busy. I work 9 hours a day M-F at a local law firm, and I also go to school @12-15 hours per semester between night classes and online courses. I am SO busy I barely have time to sleep. I could probably devote one full day of studying per week to the LSAT, if I get all my course work done by Sat night. My biggest fault on the LSAT is timing. I rock at LR, LG is usually my best but it is actually what killed me in June, and RC I pretty much suck at because I never get to the last game (but I get almost all the ones I do get to correct). I fear that just taking a PT each Sunday between now and Oct. wouldn't be enough. If anyone has gone through the studying process while working and/or being a student full time could you tell me how it played out? Does anyone have any advice on how to study with such little time and improve at least a point on my already best score...?

gdane

Diamond

Re: Study plan for Full time workers?? Help..

Post by gdane » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:29 pm

If you want to improve by just one point dont bother retaking. It makes no sense. If you want to improve by 5 or 6 points, then retake.

Whats amazing though is that you were able to score a 163 with very little prep according to you. I prepped so much and got nowhere near a 163. Haha. You said RC is your worst section? Unfortunately this section is the one in which theres no real consensus on how to prep. Since youre so busy the best thing you can do is read a lot. Read heavy and boring material (like the stuff you find on RC) on a daily basis. After time maybe you'll see some improvements.

Nikrall

Bronze

Post by Nikrall » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:33 pm

If at all possible, and even if its not, take some time off.

Working at a law firm is what...$50,000 a year maybe?

If you can move from the 160's to the 170's you may be able to go to your desired school for free....a savings of over $100,000.

If you got a 163 with that little prep, you can definitely improve a lot more.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:52 pm

gdane5 wrote:If you want to improve by just one point dont bother retaking. It makes no sense. If you want to improve by 5 or 6 points, then retake.

Whats amazing though is that you were able to score a 163 with very little prep according to you. I prepped so much and got nowhere near a 163. Haha. You said RC is your worst section? Unfortunately this section is the one in which theres no real consensus on how to prep. Since youre so busy the best thing you can do is read a lot. Read heavy and boring material (like the stuff you find on RC) on a daily basis. After time maybe you'll see some improvements.
I think I was able to improve mostly bc of my UG (enlish & phi), because I've taken so many formal logic courses throughout that becamse extrememly helpful when I realized what the LSAT was really asking for. I was thinking that, since timing on RC is soo tough for me, lowering the time each PT. Starting at 35 next week, then 32, then 30 and so on. I'll probably stop around 25-27, but if I get used to having almost no time, hopefully I will be able to complete it in a shorter amt of time on the real thing.
Why wouldnt I want to re-take for 1 pt? Obv. I would LOVE to get a 5-6 pt improvement, I just don't have much faith in myself. I didn't even believe I got a 163, I was aiming for a 158! It took me a while to even contemplate that maybe, just maybe, with studying, I could do even better.

lparker

Bronze

Post by lparker » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:38 pm

Study on your lunch break...

Get up extra early... Drink more coffee. =)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

forward

Bronze

Post by forward » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:22 pm

Last edited by forward on Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

youknowryan

Bronze

Post by youknowryan » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:54 pm

I am with Teach For America and 10/12 months of the year, my job eats up almost all of my time and energy. If you put in 1-3 hours M-F and 3-4 on Sat or Sun, you'll improve a LOT especially since you know your weak point.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”