RC studying source Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Alucard

New

RC studying source

Post by Alucard » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:43 am

I have a lot of trouble with RC section (time and comprehending issues). My background is in engineering so I am not used to reading humanities, social sciences and law passages (even tho I found law passages interesting and easier to understand). I initially studied Kaplan books for June 2010 test which was so disappointing. I switched to powerscore bibles for LG and LR (in preparing for Oct retake) but I heard RC bible isn't as good. SO what good materials out there are the best in preparing for RC sections? I know some say read Economist and wall-street journals but I only have 3 months to studying and that strategy takes years to develop your speed and familiarity with dense and dry topics. So any sources out there that would help me with RC in terms of reading and answering the questions strategy?

MURPH

Silver

Re: RC studying source

Post by MURPH » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:11 am

I was unable to find any good prep material. Kaplan is weak and the Bibles are as good as they get. If you haven't tried the RC Bible, then try it.
I would try to buy all of the available PTs and do everyone of them. If you are weak on RC then do ten of them (40 passages) over the course of two or three days without a timer. Then carefully review your answers, obviously focusing on the errors but also seriously looking at your strengths too. It is important to know what you are good at not just what your errors are.
Go over every answer in detail. Why is each answer choice right or wrong? How do the writers of the test try to mislead you? What clues do they give you, what patterns do you see.
Do ten more with a 35 minute time limit.
Just keep doing the PTs, every one of them until you find it easy. Then start doing it in 33 minutes instead of 35.

Anaconda

Silver

Post by Anaconda » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:46 pm

From everything I've read on this board, it seems that the more passages you do and the more familiar you become with the Q's, the better you get on RC. I'm struggling with RC too, so I ordered the RCB, not for the technique/notations, but more for how to attack the questions and what are the key words.

Alucard

New

Post by Alucard » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:26 am

I will order RCB and read through it for strategy then I will just keep doing RC from PTs until I improve on this section. Thanks for the advise.

Anaconda

Silver

Post by Anaconda » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:31 am

Alucard wrote:I will order RCB and read through it for strategy then I will just keep doing RC from PTs until I improve on this section. Thanks for the advise.
BTW, I have not yet recieved the RCB so I can't say how effective it is, but hope it works for us!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

osmlpz

New

Post by osmlpz » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:34 am

RC is my worst section as well :(

Alucard

New

Post by Alucard » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:29 am

I think I will still want to see the RCB just because the only thing I worked with for RC was Kaplan. They didn't spend enough time on RC in my opinion as they were trying to get us in understanding LG and LR most of the time with minimum focus on RC (It was mostly my indivual effort to do some extra RC passages since they barely assigned any) which hurt my performance on that section. So I think it will be a good think to look at a different approuch to this section with RCB and if anyone think there is another good method for this section please contribute, it is greatly appreciated.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”