Project 180 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
declsatkiller

New

Re: Project 180

Post by declsatkiller » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:48 pm

July 9

Worked through some more of the LGB today. I'm now into grouping games, which seem like they're definitely going to be more difficult than linear games, though I can't say this with certainty as I haven't actually done a grouping game yet. I also went back and redid some games in the LGB that i'd done earlier in the week. I actually remember more than I thought I would, so perhaps i should wait a week or more between similar games.
I didn't really do anything today with LR unfortunately, but will hopefully finish my explanations for the previous section I did sometime this weekend. upon completion I will do another sectin (hopefully -0!)
Eichörnchen wrote:Don't want to interrupt anything, but just wanted to drop in and say "hi" to the OP. I'm also taking the December LSAT and so far we have similar strategy. I'm wrapping up chapter 2 of the LGB (even though according to my plan, I should be wrapping up chapter 3). I have to say I'm having a tough time concentrating and having the willpower to study. I think I've been getting burned out on school so the last thing I want to do is study! Oh well...hopefully this thread gives me a little motivation. Seems like you are on a great track, so good luck with your studying. I also wanted to say thanks to Audio Technica Guy for those questions that we should all be able to answer- very helpful!
hey eicho,
Comments are welcome. I can definitely understand the school work making you not want to study, but I like to think of it as I'm getting paid to study because the monetary value of this test is so great. (plus, parts of me actually enjoy doing this shit, weird I know. it's just the prospect of getting a super high score really makes me like making improvements.) And yes, audio has been great!

declsatkiller

New

Post by declsatkiller » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:23 pm

July 10

Had a good study session today, though it was mostly just LR. I finished going through all of the questions from the last section I did and really feel like I made some progress in the way of understanding both the ones i missed and the ones i didn't miss.

Also took a RC section just for the heck of it - untimed - missed one. need to find a way over the course of the next few months to do these faster and i think ill be fine. I am confident i'll be able to eventually get -0 to -2 on the other three sections combined somewhat consistently, but RC is the wild card.

I didn't do any LGB today; will work on some of it tomorrow. I'm in grouping games which at this point has me intimidated as i've just started that chapter.

I will work through LGB tomorrow and do a timed LR section - hoping for a -0!
Last edited by declsatkiller on Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Audio Technica Guy

Bronze

Post by Audio Technica Guy » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:27 am

declsatkiller wrote:July 10

Had a good study session today, though it was mostly just LR. I finished going through all of the questions from the last section I did and really feel like I made some progress in the way of understanding both the ones i missed and the ones i didn't miss.

Also took a RC section just for the heck of it - untimed - missed one. need to find a way over the course of the next few months to do these faster and i think ill be fine. I am confident i'll be able to eventually get -0 to -2 on the other three sections combined somewhat consistently, but RC is the wild car.

I didn't do any LGB today; will work on some of it tomorrow. I'm in grouping games which at this point has me intimidated as i've just started that chapter.

I will work through LGB tomorrow and do a timed LR section - hoping for a -0!

The one thing I will caution with RC is that it's actually the hardest to "just do faster" unless you change your approach.

declsatkiller

New

Post by declsatkiller » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:22 am

July 11

Worked through much more of the LGB today. I'm pretty much through all of the grouping games section, the next section being the grouping/linear combo. I'm starting to feel more comfortable with grouping games, i was intitially pretty worried about them.

I also took another practice section of LR today, timed. it was section 1 of PT number 10. Time really wasn't an issue, which I was very happy with. I got to question 20 with about 10 minutes remaining, and finished with probably around 30 seconds remaining, doing the last 5-6 questions at a pretty leisurely pace. The part that bothered me was that I missed three questions. I missed numbers 14, 18, and 19. I realize these are the harder questions in the section, and I understand what I did wrong on two of them for sure, it's just frustrating; i quite desperately want to miss 0 or 1 on every section of LR I take. But perhaps this desire is premature.
Number 18 of section I PT 10 has me stumped I think. I'll look it over more thoroughly though sometime later and hopefully will have grasped the reasoning behind it.

cheers.

will review section i just did and do more LGB tomorrow.
Audio Technica Guy wrote:

The one thing I will caution with RC is that it's actually the hardest to "just do faster" unless you change your approach.
Is the best approach for improving RC simply doing sections and finding the best approach for yourself?

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:00 pm

Hey declsatkiller-

Seems like you are moving along really well. I have the LGB in front of me and am still struggling to buckle down :evil: What's funny is I think of the LSAT in the same way as you - this is pretty much gonna predict my salary! But hey, I just finished my summer semester and managed to squeak out two more 3.9s so I think my brain is off protesting after these years in the wringer. How many hours do you put into prep each day? As of now, I want to put in ~3 hrs, but my brain starts to fall asleep halfway through (damn Logic Games! My worst section. Maybe I need to switch things up)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GoGetIt

New

Post by GoGetIt » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:03 am

I've been following this thread quite a bit the last few days and I must say, I'm impressed, and good freaking luck man! I am approaching my study the same way. In a sense this test will literally determine my salary! I'm aiming to take the test in Feb(IF im ready), and will push back to June if i'm not where I want to be. I see you are using the bibles, I haven't bought them yet, but how much material is inside? How many months worth of solid prep can I get out of the LG bible at, lets say, an hour a day??? How fast would I burn the RC, LR, and LG, bibles??

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:17 am

Audio Technica Guy,

Do you apply your series of questions to Logic Games or just to RC and LR? :?:

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:49 am

And also Audio Guy, when I review every question and write out an answer to each of your questions, it takes much, much longer than an hour to review a whole test. How long are your written answers? How much time do you spend reviewing an average LR question?

declsatkiller

New

Post by declsatkiller » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:22 am

July 12

I spent some time doing some random logic games from my "10 Actual, Official.." book. I also started doing my review for section one PT 10. After further review....the ruling on the field stands..No. Let me try again. After further review, I figured out why the answer I picked on 18 was wrong and why the correct answer was indeed correct. Simply a matter of reading the word and structure more carefully. So I understand the three I missed, which is reassuring. Now it's just a matter of going back through all of them and doing the breakdown method. Busy day at work (internship), so a good start to my review and couple LGs is all im going to get done today.
nStiver wrote:And also Audio Guy, when I review every question and write out an answer to each of your questions, it takes much, much longer than an hour to review a whole test. How long are your written answers? How much time do you spend reviewing an average LR question?
I find this is the case too. I'm writing out basically everything.

GoGetIt wrote:I've been following this thread quite a bit the last few days and I must say, I'm impressed, and good freaking luck man! I am approaching my study the same way. In a sense this test will literally determine my salary! I'm aiming to take the test in Feb(IF im ready), and will push back to June if i'm not where I want to be. I see you are using the bibles, I haven't bought them yet, but how much material is inside? How many months worth of solid prep can I get out of the LG bible at, lets say, an hour a day??? How fast would I burn the RC, LR, and LG, bibles??
Thanks for the encouragment! Best of luck to you as well! I'm not sure about the time in regards to the LG bible as im just in theprocess of working through it myself. I do love both bibles i've read from though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

declsatkiller

New

Post by declsatkiller » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:24 am

Eichörnchen wrote:Hey declsatkiller-

Seems like you are moving along really well. I have the LGB in front of me and am still struggling to buckle down :evil: What's funny is I think of the LSAT in the same way as you - this is pretty much gonna predict my salary! But hey, I just finished my summer semester and managed to squeak out two more 3.9s so I think my brain is off protesting after these years in the wringer. How many hours do you put into prep each day? As of now, I want to put in ~3 hrs, but my brain starts to fall asleep halfway through (damn Logic Games! My worst section. Maybe I need to switch things up)
I have an internship right now, and dont plan on taking the test until december, so I'm putting in probably an average of 2-3 hours a day max. I'm tyring to pace myself a little bit.

I actually really do enjoy studying for it as weird as that is. maybe that's the key to getting those three hours: try to get interested in the lsat and they dynamics of the questions.

CryingMonkey

Bronze

Post by CryingMonkey » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:39 pm

I think the single biggest piece of advice for a potential LSAT-taker is to try to enjoy the test. If you go into it with an attitude of dread, you won't do well. Based on nothing scientific whatsoever, I would bet you could not find more than a handful of people who scored 175+ on the LSAT who hate taking standardized tests or had that basic attitude of "ohgodthissucks." If you think of the LSAT as a fun challenge, you will do better on it than if you think of it as some horrible, difficult, no-good test that you have to struggle through in order to get to law school.

StirFry101

New

Post by StirFry101 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:27 pm

CryingMonkey wrote:I think the single biggest piece of advice for a potential LSAT-taker is to try to enjoy the test. If you go into it with an attitude of dread, you won't do well. Based on nothing scientific whatsoever, I would bet you could not find more than a handful of people who scored 175+ on the LSAT who hate taking standardized tests or had that basic attitude of "ohgodthissucks." If you think of the LSAT as a fun challenge, you will do better on it than if you think of it as some horrible, difficult, no-good test that you have to struggle through in order to get to law school.

Couldn't agree more. I would even take it further and say that you should approach each question with enthusiasm. Consider it a fun puzzle that you should look forward to solving. One of those answers is right and its your job to determine which one. Buying into this, hook, line, and sinker has helped tremendously.

GoGetIt

New

Post by GoGetIt » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:28 pm

StirFry101 wrote:
CryingMonkey wrote:I think the single biggest piece of advice for a potential LSAT-taker is to try to enjoy the test. If you go into it with an attitude of dread, you won't do well. Based on nothing scientific whatsoever, I would bet you could not find more than a handful of people who scored 175+ on the LSAT who hate taking standardized tests or had that basic attitude of "ohgodthissucks." If you think of the LSAT as a fun challenge, you will do better on it than if you think of it as some horrible, difficult, no-good test that you have to struggle through in order to get to law school.

Couldn't agree more I would even take it further and say that you should approach each question with enthusiasm. Consider it a fun puzzle that you should look forward to solving. One of those answers is right and its your job to determine which one. Buying into this, hook, line, and sinker has helped tremendously.
+1 to this definately! Throughout my whole life I've done minimal studying and performed at a high level. This is the first test that I'm studying this hard for in my life. Not only have I done minimal studying in the past, but I hate it!! Ironically, I actually have fun studying for this test at times(as weird as that sounds). I look at it as a challenge that can bring great rewards for conquering it, and so far I've been seeing steady improvement with practice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

declsatkiller

New

Post by declsatkiller » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:20 pm

July 13

Today I worked through some more of the LGB, doing some actual grouping games. They're definitely not as bad as I thought they were going to be; I'm getting better at them and I'm becoming more comfortable with LGs in general. I'll be starting the next chapter soon, grouping/linear combination games (sound hard...are they?).

I also continued doing review for the latest LR section that I did. Should have that complete within the next few days, and will take a new LR section later in the week, upon completion of the latest review.

random note: for fun, if you'd like (i've noticed there have been a lot of views), predict my score on the december lsat knowing:

I'll be studying like this for the next 153 days (i think that's the right number)
My average for LR is around -2 per section right now
I've taken just 2 ever timed sections of RC, having missed 6ish both times i believe (will practice thoroughly starting in probably august, in the same manner im practicing LR)
I'm in the process of working through the LGB right now

Include your reasoning if you'd like.

i know this ^ is random but it could be fun to go back and look at in 5 months when I'm actually getting my score.

declsatkiller

New

Post by declsatkiller » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:29 pm

July 14

Finished my review of the latest LR section I've done today. There were probably 2 where i thought MAYBE another answer was plausible, and that the correct answer was merely better. Either way, it felt good to get the review done, knowing I can proceed and take another section tomorrow. Hoping for that elusive -0! (also, hoping to start finishing sections with a minute or so to go, so that I may gradually get to the point where I can do these sections in 30-31 minutes)

I also worked through a few more grouping games today in the LGB. It doesn't take me long to answer questions really, it just takes me a while to get the set up correct and notice all of the inferences that can be made. I suppose speed will come with time and practice. In addition, I went back and did a couple of linear games today. I remember little bits of the games and some inferences that must be made in the setups, but not the questions. I'm getting all of the questions right in not much time, but I suppose this is due to the small amount of setup time it takes.

Will take another LR section tomorrow and probably work through some more LGB (hoping to have gotten through the LGB by the beginning of the 8th month, and upon doing so, will probably take my first full test.)

Studious

New

Post by Studious » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:55 pm

I don't think mastering LG is a problem for many.At the rate you are going, you should kill LR too.I'd say you would end up with a combined -2 between these 3 sections.

As for RC, I started off at -11, and am currently stuck at -3.Somehow, I feel as if it is easy to plateau with RC, so I am guessing that you would encounter the same issue as well.I'd say you would get stuck at around -2/-1 on test day.

Btw, I am accounting for test day nerves here.So, you would probably score a 178, 179 on your last few practice tests, but I think it might go down a wee bit.

Of course, if you are getting a 176, I'm probably getting a 177+ :wink:

declsatkiller

New

Post by declsatkiller » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:07 pm

July 15

I did a few random Logic Games from towards the beginning of the LGB today, as well as some newer, grouping games, one of which the set up was particularly hard for me at first. But I'm getting there I suppose. I will probably start linear/grouping games tomorrow. Slight progress is ok in LG for now, as I haven't put in THAT much time in them yet and still have quite a while to hit them hard. I'll start taking full LG sections upon completion of the LGB...I may even just go through the LGB again first. Haven't decided yet. We'll see how those first couple of LG sections go. I'm really shooting for no more than -1 on the real deal, as I've heard anyone can do this with enough practice. And I'm certainly going to put in enough practice I think.

I also took another LR section today. Again, I got 22/25. I finished with somewhere around 10 seconds, but it felt like a pretty relaxed pace, so the fact that I only had a few seconds remaining doesn't really bother me. (especially considering towards the end of the section I was pretty worn down...more on this in a second.) I'm kind of frustrated that I missed three for the third time in a row. But I'm starting to see which types I am missing and will start focusing on those questions a little more with review and will review those sections of the LRB. In addition, the last three sections of LR that i've taken, in which i've missed three, have been taken at night, after work and exercise...i.e. probably not ideal testing conditions. (the section where i got 24/25 i took in the morning)

either way, a bit frustrating. but i will start gearing my review a little more heavily towards the missed questions and really review those types of questions as well in the LRB.

cheers all

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

primusux

Bronze

Post by primusux » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:39 am

declsatkiller wrote:July 15

I did a few random Logic Games from towards the beginning of the LGB today, as well as some newer, grouping games, one of which the set up was particularly hard for me at first. But I'm getting there I suppose. I will probably start linear/grouping games tomorrow. Slight progress is ok in LG for now, as I haven't put in THAT much time in them yet and still have quite a while to hit them hard. I'll start taking full LG sections upon completion of the LGB...I may even just go through the LGB again first. Haven't decided yet. We'll see how those first couple of LG sections go. I'm really shooting for no more than -1 on the real deal, as I've heard anyone can do this with enough practice. And I'm certainly going to put in enough practice I think.

I also took another LR section today. Again, I got 22/25. I finished with somewhere around 10 seconds, but it felt like a pretty relaxed pace, so the fact that I only had a few seconds remaining doesn't really bother me. (especially considering towards the end of the section I was pretty worn down...more on this in a second.) I'm kind of frustrated that I missed three for the third time in a row. But I'm starting to see which types I am missing and will start focusing on those questions a little more with review and will review those sections of the LRB. In addition, the last three sections of LR that i've taken, in which i've missed three, have been taken at night, after work and exercise...i.e. probably not ideal testing conditions. (the section where i got 24/25 i took in the morning)

either way, a bit frustrating. but i will start gearing my review a little more heavily towards the missed questions and really review those types of questions as well in the LRB.

cheers all
I know it's a long way out, and honestly I just skimmed this thread...but...are you only taking sections piecemeal or have you taken a full 5 section PT?

declsatkiller

New

Post by declsatkiller » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:52 am

primusux wrote: I know it's a long way out, and honestly I just skimmed this thread...but...are you only taking sections piecemeal or have you taken a full 5 section PT?
So far only LR sections, one at a time, about one every 4-5ish days. I'm still working through the LGB. At some point after I have completed the LGB (probably in 2 weeks or so), I will take a full, five section test. At that point I will also begin doing RC practice as well.

primusux

Bronze

Post by primusux » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:59 am

declsatkiller wrote:
primusux wrote: I know it's a long way out, and honestly I just skimmed this thread...but...are you only taking sections piecemeal or have you taken a full 5 section PT?
So far only LR sections, one at a time, about one every 4-5ish days. I'm still working through the LGB. At some point after I have completed the LGB (probably in 2 weeks or so), I will take a full, five section test. At that point I will also begin doing RC practice as well.

Sounds good. Good luck to you and those who you've inspired!

declsatkiller

New

Post by declsatkiller » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:54 pm

thanks primus

July 16

Got caugh up with a combination of work and watching the British Open today, so my studying was limited. Should make up for it this weekend, though. All I did was review in depth my three misses from the PT section yesterday, reviewing the question type's chapter in the LRB.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

declsatkiller

New

Post by declsatkiller » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:58 pm

July 17

Did a bunch of review today from the last LR section that I did, and it was very good review. I cleared up a lot of things by going back through many parts of the LRB as I reviewed my questions. I think I'll do this from now on. It is even more time consuming than before, but I feel doing this for many months will ultimately make me an LR machine. (my word document with review is up to around 50 pages, single spaced..but hey, this is the most important subject on the lsat by weight so I'm not going to miss any. And i can't afford to if im going to get a 180.)

For LG today I began doing some of the linear-grouping games. They haven't been as difficult thus far as I thought they'd be, with correct answers not really being an issue (time is a little bit at this point, but i'm not worried about that yet). are linear-grouping games commonly called hybrid games? or am i thinking of something else?

will do more of the same tomorrow.

fosterp

Bronze

Post by fosterp » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:48 am

Just wondering, how do you feel about the time on your games section? I usually am taking upwards of 15 minutes on most games, usually because my diagramming is a bit off. Sometimes I can't figure out the proper way to diagram, or I miss some essential inference that makes a lot of the questions fairly easy. For the most part though I can get every question right as long as I don't misread something.

declsatkiller

New

Post by declsatkiller » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:03 pm

July 18

Did some more of the review of the last LR section that I did. Should have the review done by the end of tomorrow. This review is by far the most extensive i've done yet, and I feel like it's definitely going to pay off. I'm becoming quicker at identifying question types and knowing what to look for in correct/incorrect answer with each different type. In addition, my understanding of the mechanics of the arguments is getting pretty good too. It is to the point where I feel like if I had around 40-45 minutes per LR section I'd never miss a question. I just need to be able to read/break down the argument quicker still. By the time I take the test I'd like to be able to do the LR sections in 30 minutes.

I'm in the process of working through pure sequencing games in the LGB; they seem to be pretty straightforward.

Will likely take another LR section Tueday. Feeling good about how im progressing.

fosterp wrote:Just wondering, how do you feel about the time on your games section? I usually am taking upwards of 15 minutes on most games, usually because my diagramming is a bit off. Sometimes I can't figure out the proper way to diagram, or I miss some essential inference that makes a lot of the questions fairly easy. For the most part though I can get every question right as long as I don't misread something.
right now it's taking me around 10 minutes to complete the game/questions and not miss any. and shaving a minute-minute and a half off in the long run shouldn't be too big of an issue. 15 minutes is going to be a little more difficult, but im sure its doable. just keep redoing them and practicing the diagramms. getting a proper diagramm and getting it quickly seems to me to be the key to doing them quickly.

Lolschool

New

Post by Lolschool » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:28 pm

OP: Did you take a diagnostic? It seems like you're getting through the bibles pretty quickly--are you planning on just practice tests until the actual test? Also, any specific plans for RC? You're on the right track, good luck!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”