Question about signing up for Oct as a retake Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
soesghost

New

Question about signing up for Oct as a retake

Post by soesghost » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:21 am

Ok so - I had been consistently getting in the low- to high- 160 range on my PT's. Come test day, of course, with the pressure on and time moving faster than it usually does, I seem to have choked somewhat. My score ended up a 157. Reviewing my answers I have large clumps of wrong answers at the end of each section, which on the surface would SEEM to be time crunch/fatigue, but I didn't really feel either during the test. Maybe 1 or 2, tops 3 I didnt have an answer for that I had to guess between a) or b), but for the most part I HAD answers. Yet seeing blocks of 5 and 6 wrong, all in the last third of each section, concerns me. It seems like a fixable problem. (one hopes) Perhaps my time management was this issue. Perhaps I need more work on LG, though I did endless problems, at least 35-45 PT's in total etc. I am from NYC and will be attending as a part time older student, so my goal was Fordham, which requires 163 or so. While I have a possible compelling backstory and certain diversity aspects (not race), I really think I needed to be closer for a shot there.

So here's my real question: I would like to take the Oct test - I don't think I can do any worse than the area I am in, and perhaps I can improve enough to pull that score up into Fordham's range (yes I am aware of the averaging) Couple that with the fact that I won't be applying anywhere until first week of November at the earliest, I don't see any reason NOT to take it. That said, my concern is this - if I SIGN UP for the test now, but decide NOT to take it - is this reflected somewhere like a cancelled score would be? Is there a way to cancel sitting for the test entirely, should I choose to do so, without being looked at negatively? Bear in mind that I took the Feb LSAT, totally panicked during it, guessed at WAY too many, and cancelled that one, so I of course cannot do that again. I would REALLY appreciate any help with this - thanks in advance!

HiLine

Bronze

Re: Question about signing up for Oct as a retake

Post by HiLine » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:47 am

soesghost wrote: That said, my concern is this - if I SIGN UP for the test now, but decide NOT to take it - is this reflected somewhere like a cancelled score would be? Is there a way to cancel sitting for the test entirely, should I choose to do so, without being looked at negatively?
Yes, you can cancel the test date before the deadline about 2-3 weeks prior. Or you could just not show up and that wouldn't count against you.

soesghost

New

Post by soesghost » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:59 am

Hrm....

I had heard somewhere just not showing up at all looks bad - maybe I am mistaken on that. I guess I would know 2-3 weeks prior. But the bigger question is, can I improve significantly enough to raise my score on an average basis to what I am looking for? I would need a 10 point jump in my score to 167 just to average the 163-164 I need, which would probably kill me to score that if I could have in the first place.

:(

HiLine

Bronze

Post by HiLine » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:04 am

soesghost wrote:Hrm....

I had heard somewhere just not showing up at all looks bad - maybe I am mistaken on that. I guess I would know 2-3 weeks prior.
A no-show wouldn't hurt at all.
soesghost wrote: But the bigger question is, can I improve significantly enough to raise my score on an average basis to what I am looking for? I would need a 10 point jump in my score to 167 just to average the 163-164 I need, which would probably kill me to score that if I could have in the first place.

:(
Classical question. Classical answer is: theoretically yes, but that's going to take a lot of effort. If you don't work hard enough, a big score jump is impossible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”