TLS1776's Thoughts on the LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
StarkMachen

New

Re: TLS1776's Thoughts on the LSAT

Post by StarkMachen » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:41 am

Best thing on the site.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:42 pm

Thanks so much TLS, and best wishes in your future endeavours.

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:01 pm

1) I love this guide (if it wasn't clear by my post on the stickied [sp?] LSAT tools thread).

2) I haven't gone through this whole thread, so I don't know if anyone else pointed this out, but the Simugator proctor DVD recommended in the initial post is available as an app for iPad and iPhone.. it's just the DVD (like.. the app opens and you click play; it's literally just a video), only it costs something like $2 instead of $30ish. Search for "LSAT proctor" in the app store, then look for the gator logo. Unfortunately, I only learned this after buying the DVD, but I bought the app as well so I could use my phone instead of my laptop for prepping. Just thought it would be worth pointing out you can get a very useful tool for about $25 less! Don't want someone else to make the same mistake.

3) I love this guide.

Njdeh

New

Post by Njdeh » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:51 pm

Question

Why do you recommend buying both the individual PTs and the books that contain them in the "actual official" series.

Aren't they the same thing?

crazyrobin

Bronze

Post by crazyrobin » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:04 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
2) I haven't gone through this whole thread, so I don't know if anyone else pointed this out, but the Simugator proctor DVD recommended in the initial post is available as an app for iPad and iPhone.. it's just the DVD (like.. the app opens and you click play; it's literally just a video), only it costs something like $2 instead of $30ish. Search for "LSAT proctor" in the app store, then look for the gator logo. Unfortunately, I only learned this after buying the DVD, but I bought the app as well so I could use my phone instead of my laptop for prepping. Just thought it would be worth pointing out you can get a very useful tool for about $25 less! Don't want someone else to make the same mistake.
:lol:
Thank you!!!!! I think it's 99 c
You just saved me $30!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:02 am

crazyrobin wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
:lol:
Thank you!!!!! I think it's 99 c
You just saved me $30!!!
No problem!

Hopefully the karma fairy will reward me an extra point on my February take. *fingers crossed* :wink:

ng082093

New

Post by ng082093 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:48 pm

Thank you so much for this. I am planning on taking the June 2014 LSAT, so I am going to definitely be using this guide in the coming year.

natashka85

Bronze

Post by natashka85 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:59 pm

Guys ,here is what he sent to me.

``Natashka, I tutor people for money, so I kind of get tired of giving people advice. You should try to send messages to high-scorers who don't tutor people for a living, because they'll be more likely to be enthusiastic.``

I never expected this sort of attitude from him.

osuhopeful

New

Post by osuhopeful » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:17 pm

great post. tagging for a more in depth read later.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A.Taarabt7

Bronze

Post by A.Taarabt7 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:31 am

what chess book is he talking about?

I am unable to download the article from the link OP provided

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:49 am

A.Taarabt7 wrote:what chess book is he talking about?

Try this link (LinkRemoved)

A.Taarabt7

Bronze

Post by A.Taarabt7 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:00 pm

cahwc12 wrote:
A.Taarabt7 wrote:what chess book is he talking about?

Try this link (LinkRemoved)

yea it was hard because he didn't give me a title or the chess guys name

I want to be reading/taking advice from the same source he read

not from another chess player

LexLeon

Bronze

Post by LexLeon » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:35 pm

This post really helped me when I was studying for the LSAT, in terms of tactics and motivation and more.

Thank you TLS1776!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rftdd888

Bronze

Post by rftdd888 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:08 am

natashka85 wrote:Guys ,here is what he sent to me.

``Natashka, I tutor people for money, so I kind of get tired of giving people advice. You should try to send messages to high-scorers who don't tutor people for a living, because they'll be more likely to be enthusiastic.``

I never expected this sort of attitude from him.
he wrote an informative guide, doesn't mean he's friendly

TLS1776

New

Post by TLS1776 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:15 am

rriles wrote:he wrote an informative guide, doesn't mean he's friendly
I'm sorry if natashka85 was offended by what I said; I wasn't trying to offend her. I think the problem here is that I try to give very well-thought-out advice to people who send me messages, but I lose enthusiasm when I get the impression that the other person is not putting the same amount of thought into their questions that I put into my answers. If you send me a question that I haven't answered already in my guide then I am going to try to give you a good answer, which may take me 30+ minutes of thinking and writing. So when people ask me questions that I've already answered in my guide, or have their messages horribly written with lots of grammar and punctuation errors, or seem to ignore the advice I've already given them, or want me to motivate them every step of the way without compensating me at all, I will be honest and let them know that I probably won't be very enthusiastic about answering their future questions.

On the other hand, I need to get better at dealing with people, so in the future I'll just spend less time coming up with my answers and instead respond with short messages of support, since that seems to be what many people want anyway.

This is the entire conversation that we had:
natashka85 - Feb 15
Hi i need to ask u sth,i have been preparing long for the lsat,i exhausted all the tests,and now when i take a test its hard for me to get an accurate indication where i am,i score 175-178 on the tests but when i take a test not seen before my score drops to 165 ,i kind of don`t know how to deal with that,mentally i can`t struggle w that,i am sort of afraid what they will throw in June Lsat,can u give me some advice what to do?

TLS1776 - Feb 15
You need to review the questions you get wrong and understand exactly why you got them wrong, so you can avoid making the same mistakes in the future. And you need to constantly remind yourself of the mistakes you've made in the past so that you don't forget them. You can remind yourself by going over old tests and using flashcards. And I recommend you get a study partner to keep yourself motivated.

natashka85 - Feb 16
Well i am doing this on my own,without a class or sth,all my friends went to bad schools and i stayed here for years till i hit the score I want,so i dont have a study partner,if i find them online they are not on the same level w me and i feel like i am wasting my time explaining to them things that i already know and i end up not having time to focus on my weaknesses,also i am planning to drill from 1-40 and take tests twice a week for 8 sections ,do u think i should follow this schedule?I will definitely make flashcards and focus on my weaknesses,thanks for responding.

TLS1776 - Feb 16
The tests from 1-40 are slightly different from modern tests. If I were you I wouldn't worry too much about a specific schedule; I tried doing that and I burned out. My basic advice is: do everything I recommend in my guide, and if you have done all that and still aren't getting the score you want, then ask me for more help. It sounds like you haven't done the stuff I recommend in my guide. If your partners have been bad you need to keep looking for new ones; it's probably better to have one you meet in person.

natashka85 - Feb 16
Your approach is surely helpful,just wondering why u didn`t mention anything about elimination and Manhattan books?

natashka85 - Feb 16
Also you will encourage me if u tell me how many times u wondered and hesitated if u will hit your target score or maybe you were wasting time on sth that only u believed?
also encourage me by telling what advantage you will have w your 180 Lsat compared to other people,when i am here stuck studying I have both good and bad days and sometimes can`t really see all the good things that scoring above 170 will give me ,thanks a lot.

TLS1776 - Feb 17
Idk what "elimination" refers to; is that a prep company? I didn't use Manhattan books b/c I think they weren't out yet when I was studying.

I definitely spent a good amount of time feeling worried about how things would turn out, and whether I was wasting my time.

A 180 is a big advantage if you're aiming for a top school or if you want a scholarship, but it's not a guarantee for success in life. It's a lot more important to be good with people. But it really does a great job of convincing people you're smart, so it can be worth the effort if your score is already near 170.

natashka85 - Feb 17
By elimination I mean the technique to use elimination during LR and RC,well i agree w your analysis concerning getting a 180 ,i am above 170 its just sometimes I fall into a moral lapse ,which makes me cease to believe in me,but your words encourage me a lot and i am gonna do my first diagnostic tmr and start my studying already thanks,i will keep u updated about my studying and how to get to 180 ,thanks again,now i believe that if u did that I can do that too.

natashka85 - Feb 28
Hi,i wanna ask u sth,i took a test today got a 174,but,i took all the tests before,i mean i do go through eliminating wrong answer choices and picking the right one w line references,just worried a little bit,cause i have no fresh tests left,,do u think this is an accurate indication or no?This is something that stands on my way to believe in me,but i still work harder to get to 180 .Do u have sth to advise me to deal with this problem,meaning i exhausted all the tests and i am retaking them,even though i could get a much lower score if i took this same test a few weeks ago,so give me the right direction to head,thanks.

natashka85 - Mar 1
Hi,i wanna ask u sth,i took a test today got a 174,but,i took all the tests before,i mean i do go through eliminating wrong answer choices and picking the right one w line references,just worried a little bit,cause i have no fresh tests left,,do u think this is an accurate indication or no?This is something that stands on my way to believe in me,but i still work harder to get to 180 .Do u have sth to advise me to deal with this problem,meaning i exhausted all the tests and i am retaking them,even though i could get a much lower score if i took this same test a few weeks ago,so give me the right direction to head,thanks.

TLS1776 - Mar 1
Natashka, I tutor people for money, so I kind of get tired of giving people advice. You should try to send messages to high-scorers who don't tutor people for a living, because they'll be more likely to be enthusiastic.

natashka85 - Mar 1
That was very rude of you,I didn`t expect that from someone who scored a 180,u specifically said if i had any questions i could ask u,but anyway ,no need for that ,i can figure out things on my own.

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:17 am

^Thanks for the full context, TLS1776. IMO, it's actually quite impressive that you abstained from going ape shit on this inquisitor. I see completely what you mean about him/her just wanting a personal motivator and not taking your guide seriously. My words would not have been so mild.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:35 am

It took me till "March 1st" to figure out what sth meant.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rftdd888

Bronze

Post by rftdd888 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:55 am

yeah very uncool of natashka85 for only posting that last little out of context bit that made you sound snippy, kudos for context

StructuresAndForces

New

Post by StructuresAndForces » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:40 pm

Thank you for this. Great information.

kiyoku

Bronze

Post by kiyoku » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:39 am

I've read this guide three times now. I love it.

Thethoughtcounts176

New

Post by Thethoughtcounts176 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:49 pm

Who has a DVD player anymore? I use the streaming version of the DVD, it's cheaper too - http://www.simugator.com/lsat-proctor-dvd.html

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

neprep

Silver

Post by neprep » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:28 pm

Micdiddy wrote:It took me till "March 1st" to figure out what sth meant.
I still don't get it. It would make a great RC question, something along the lines of "Which one of the following, if used in place of sth,…"

Thethoughtcounts176

New

Post by Thethoughtcounts176 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:15 pm

neprep wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:It took me till "March 1st" to figure out what sth meant.
I still don't get it. It would make a great RC question, something along the lines of "Which one of the following, if used in place of sth,…"
Haha, yeah i agree it would make a great RC question. Now you got me thinking as I just read it. What the hell is that? lol. Could somebody please enlighten us as to what "sth" means?

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:56 pm

Natashka85 is a known troll at this point.

Silver

Post by 10052014 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:10 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”