Canceling vs accepting score Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jason8821

Bronze

Canceling vs accepting score

Post by jason8821 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:06 pm

How do schools look at a cancel vs a bad score? I know that canceling looks better, but if say I bombed the lsat, got below my PT average (say I got a 150) but waited until next december, studied hard and got into the mid 160's or 170 would that automatically preclude me from attending a school with a mean lsat similar to my best score? Thanks for the help!

invisiblesun

Bronze

Re: Canceling vs accepting score

Post by invisiblesun » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:09 pm

jason8821 wrote:How do schools look at a cancel vs a bad score? I know that canceling looks better, but if say I bombed the lsat, got below my PT average (say I got a 150) but waited until next december, studied hard and got into the mid 160's or 170 would that automatically preclude me from attending a school with a mean lsat similar to my best score? Thanks for the help!
The cancel is better, but by how much depends on the law school's view of multiple LSATs. Some law schools are willing to throw away a low score if the second is far superior, others will look at your higher score with a grain of salt. That being said, do you know of any major errors you made on the test or is it unsubstantiated panic at this point?

jason8821

Bronze

Post by jason8821 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:18 pm

I know I am usually decent at logic games. By decent I would expect to get 3 games almost completely correct, and +1 on a guess. so maybe 17ish, I would be lucky if I got 10 on this, I totally froze. I think I did slightly better than average on LR, thinking like 19-20ish, and RC I have no clue, I know I didn't get to the hardest last passage but it's fairly common that I do 3, and get almost all right. The chavez passage hurt a little though, so the question for me is despite a horrible logic game section, do I hope that somehow I picked it up in the others enough to break even? I have heard that June normally has a shitty curve.

jason8821

Bronze

Post by jason8821 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:05 am

When people say that schools frown on a low score preceding a high score, are these mostly t-14 schools, or would a school like Pitt, or a t-30 give a shit if I bombed it once, and then got a score within their mean? As in would this be a red flag If I was not aiming for t-14?

Cosmo Kramer

Bronze

Post by Cosmo Kramer » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:14 am

T-30 will not care at all, as I know from experience. PM if you want actual schools' names.

World B. Free

Bronze

Post by World B. Free » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:22 am

From experience, canceling is better --- I made the mistake of not canceling my 1st try and it came back to bite me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”