Powerscore LG Bible and Progressing Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Anaconda

Silver

Powerscore LG Bible and Progressing

Post by Anaconda » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:10 am

I've read the linear and advanced linear games sections, did all the in-book practice and questions, and even supplemented w/ a good deal of actual LSAT questions from the PrepTest book, but I'm still having some problems on a few questions. On at least half of the games I've tried (maybe about 10-12), I'll be able to answer a decent 4/5 or 5/6, but on others I'm a little lost and might give up or only be able to correctly answer 2-3 (the linear games on prep tests 29-38 are hard!). It also takes me 12-15 minutes to finish every problem, which has me a bit concerned, since I'm having trouble making inferences.

Is it normal to struggle with some problems and making inferences after reading and practicing the PowerScore LG Bible at the first go-around, or did most of you master these questions on your first time through?

Should I keep practicing and practicing until I master it, or advance in the LG Bible and start the LR bible, with the assumption that I will progress my skills over time with more practice and re-reading of the book in the future?

gca0385

New

Re: Powerscore LG Bible and Progressing

Post by gca0385 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:38 am

Hey Anaconda. I just finished the LGB today having gone over it during the last two weeks. I would say to keep advancing in the LGB. You will get better at making inferences and learning how to "deal" with each question faster once you begin to drill and analyze your games. 12-15 minutes is not horrible for games in the beginning. You will get faster with practice. Good luck and keep going.

TMT90

New

Post by TMT90 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:35 am

I'm in the same boat as you. I just finished the Linear chapter in LGB and i've only made -0 on one of the games. The rest have been -1, which is a great improvement compared to how i've been scoring on the games prior to reading the LGB. I've also been taking 12-15 minutes to finish a game, which is ridiculously long - but again, a huge improvement to where I was performing before. I'm also a little bummed that i'm still not scoring perfect on the drills considering how I am solving these untimed. Since i'm in the same position I can't really give advice other than keep on practicing but i've noticed a huge turnaround in my performance since the LGB ch 2.

Anaconda

Silver

Post by Anaconda » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:51 am

Ughh, I just did the 3 linear games in PrepTest 34, and I only got 9/18 questions right. (3/7 game 1, 4/5 game 2, 2/6 game 3) I seem to be struggling to notice the big inferences. This is slightly worse than what I was getting before all the reading and practice problems!

TMT90

New

Post by TMT90 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:04 pm

Anaconda wrote:Ughh, I just did the 3 linear games in PrepTest 34, and I only got 9/18 questions right. (3/7 game 1, 4/5 game 2, 2/6 game 3) I seem to be struggling to notice the big inferences. This is slightly worse than what I was getting before all the reading and practice problems!
Hmmm... when reading the chapters, did you fully understand everything? If not maybe you should go back and re-read a few more sections and then attack the PTs again. Whenever I didn't 100% understand a concept I re-read it. I also read and re-read the explanations of the drills and that seemed to really help. It made me see the inferences I did not make earlier and then later on another problem I was able to draw a similar inference using the tips in the LGB and in the drill explanations. I also wasted SO much time missing easier questions because I was so focused on making sure I was catching all of the complicated inferences. This made me get all of the "hard" last questions right and when checking my answers I realized that some of the questions I missed had obvious answers and I wanted to smack myself for not seeing how obvious they were.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anaconda

Silver

Post by Anaconda » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:10 pm

I (re)reviewed the basic linear games (chapter 2) and went back and did the drills, and practice problems, and I've already noticed that although it took me just as long to do the games (14-18 minutes) I got -0/-1 on 2 of the games in the book that I've already tried, but struggled with.

I seem to know how to make inferences a little bit better than I have during the past couple of days, not sure if that's because I already attempted the problems or because I'm actually getting better!

I also redid LG #4 in PrepTest #30 (section 1) and the wording "numbered one lower" completely threw me off several times, but I think I would have gotten -1/-0 had I paid more attention. It's still taking me 15+ minutes for each one. :oops:

Anaconda

Silver

Post by Anaconda » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:49 pm

After a full week practicing linear & advanced linear games, I took PrepTest 37 and I scored a 151. I got a -9 on LG (I missed all 5 questions on game 3 which was advanced linear, as were two other LGs) and I also bombed the LR and RC sections. For one passage in RC I got all 6 questions wrong. I'm pretty devastated. I think I can improve on LR, but I really don't know how I'm going to improve w/ the logic games if I've already tried over a dozen of them, read the LGB twice for the relevant sections. I'm also scared about RC since I heard the RC now is much harder compared to a few years ago. :(

PS: I also think I already did at least 2/4 of the LG's on the test, but I didn't really remember any inferences, or even the "storyline" for that matter, but I did manage to complete the LG section in 38 minutes, and finished both LR under 35, and RC in 37.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”