ITT: the single most helpful thing Ive read on TLS (see end) Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
autarkh

Bronze

Re: When to bubble remaining answers??

Post by autarkh » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:10 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
If you engage in any misconduct or irregularity during the test—such as creating a disturbance; giving or receiving help; working on or reading the test during a time not authorized by the supervisor; removing test materials or notes from the testing room; taking part in an act of impersonation or other forms of cheating; failing to follow the directions of test center staff; or using books, calculators, ear plugs, headsets, rulers, listening devices, paging devices (beepers), any type of desktop timer (including electronic timer), cellular phones, recording or photographic devices, papers of any kind, or other aids—you may receive a warning, or be dismissed from the center, or have your test score canceled by LSAC and may be subject to other penalties for misconduct or irregularity.
Of course, the above is not an exhaustive list.

And if you want to argue with the LSAC about what constitutes cheating, be my guest. Just know that it ends with them being right, and you being unable to get into any semi-decent law school. And if you want to sue, I have yet to see any case where a LSAT cheater (or alleged LSAT cheater) was able to get any relief from the courts; there are a number of holdings finding LSAC can basically do what it likes regards to determining if misconduct has taken place.
I'm not saying to "[work] on or [read] the test during a time not authorized by the supervisor." In fact, I specifically admonished against that. What I am saying is there's some ambiguity in whether making changes to the answer sheet (in whatever section) during the time you are authorized to be working with the answer sheet (while maintaining the test booklet on the section you are authorized to be working in), is not a clear cut violation of the rules. And, EVEN IF it were, said rule is, in practice, unenforceable.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:48 pm

autarkh wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
If you engage in any misconduct or irregularity during the test—such as creating a disturbance; giving or receiving help; working on or reading the test during a time not authorized by the supervisor; removing test materials or notes from the testing room; taking part in an act of impersonation or other forms of cheating; failing to follow the directions of test center staff; or using books, calculators, ear plugs, headsets, rulers, listening devices, paging devices (beepers), any type of desktop timer (including electronic timer), cellular phones, recording or photographic devices, papers of any kind, or other aids—you may receive a warning, or be dismissed from the center, or have your test score canceled by LSAC and may be subject to other penalties for misconduct or irregularity.
Of course, the above is not an exhaustive list.

And if you want to argue with the LSAC about what constitutes cheating, be my guest. Just know that it ends with them being right, and you being unable to get into any semi-decent law school. And if you want to sue, I have yet to see any case where a LSAT cheater (or alleged LSAT cheater) was able to get any relief from the courts; there are a number of holdings finding LSAC can basically do what it likes regards to determining if misconduct has taken place.
I'm not saying to "[work] on or [read] the test during a time not authorized by the supervisor." In fact, I specifically admonished against that. What I am saying is there's some ambiguity in whether making changes to the answer sheet (in whatever section) during the time you are authorized to be working with the answer sheet (while maintaining the test booklet on the section you are authorized to be working in), is not a clear cut violation of the rules. And, EVEN IF it were, said rule is, in practice, unenforceable.
This isn't complicated. By filling in answers on a different section, you are "working" on a different (unauthorized by proctor) section of the test. There isn't any ambiguity there.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:07 pm

autarkh

Bronze

Post by autarkh » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:43 pm

Why would ANYONE argue the point with LSAC? They make the test, have all the power, and hold all the cards.

My larger point is that the rule is not enforceable. Unenforceable rules, are--as a general rule--stupid. If I found myself in the situation of not having finished a section, and not having had time to register my guesses, I would probably bubble them in at the earliest opportunity on another section. Given the ambiguity, and, more importantly, the infinitesimal probability of being caught, I wouldn't even look back. I would then leave the test center without regrets, and not agonize for three weeks about what I could have done if I had 30 more seconds.

That is my risk preference. Thankfully, I finished every section, and am in a position to never have to look at another LSAT in my life (unless I want to). For me, this point is moot. Some may agree with my approach. Others may have different ideas. And everyone here is free, of course, to do whatever the fuck they want.

But you have my .02: failing to bubble in the circumstances discussed is monumentally idiotic.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:48 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jason8821

Bronze

Post by jason8821 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:00 pm

I know it's too late to help the OP for this test. but FWIW, I got to a point in the test where I didn't give a shit (after LG). I know I have a bad attitude at times, but I literally filled in 3 and 5 bubbles in each of the remaining sections, and also erased and changed an answer. A lot of people will call the extra seconds I spent "Cheating", but to me this is just not a big enough deal. If the test center had a digital clock on the wall, it would be different. To be honest, I actually expected the proctors to call me out. That said, I don't think it would normally be a big deal to bubble in a question a few seconds after time was called, especially if you were already close to the answer. I know it's a fine line. Also, you will probably end up paying the price either way. You need time to set your watch, flip the page etc. and I lost out on that when I kept bubbling in answers.

BigA

Bronze

Post by BigA » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:36 pm

Shrimps wrote:
angiej wrote:
BigA wrote:Do you randomly bubble in C,D or E really quick? Or is that not worth the risk?
Studies have shown your better of chosing D, you have a sightly higher chance of D being correct.

Powerscore's LSAT Guessing Strategy and Probability Tables:
http://powerscore.com/lsat/help/guessing.cfm
Last 6 tests (54-59): last 5 questions of each section. 120 questions, of which 26 are D's. 21.6%, 34 are B's (28.3%), 25 are E's. B's were particularly prevalent in 58 (7 out of the last 20) and 59 (8 out of the last 20).

But there were sections were none of the last several questions were B's.

Last 2 answers from each section, last 6 tests (48 answers):

dcbebbbbaabdbbbaceedcbdebebadececddbcddccecaddab
8 E's
11 D's
13 B's
9 C's
6 A's
(missed one somewhere)

last 2 answers on RC: abcdecedbdcd, LG: cacdebdebbbb (notice the bbb's on 58 and 59 LG)
This turned out to be the single most helpful thing I've ever read on these boards. I had an RC nightmare on the June test. I didn't get to the last passage, or the even the last question on the third passage. I had to randomly bubble in the last 8 questions. If I never read this, I probably would have chosen "D" because that's what Powerscore recommends, and gotten 1 out of 8. But I somehow remembered reading this post, and because of it I bubbled "B" and got 4 of the last 8 questions correct. I've been meaning to drudge this up for a while. Had to acknowledge this :mrgreen: Thank you mister Shrimps!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:20 pm

Shrimps wrote:Taking a law literally? God, what kind of lawyer are you going to be? Laws and rules are meant to be creatively reinterpreted.
Don't tell Scalia and Thomas.

TheGambler

New

Re: ITT: the single most helpful thing Ive read on TLS (see end)

Post by TheGambler » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:33 am

At five minutes I'd randomly bubble in the last questions in a section - leaving the ones I think I could power through blank for me to keep working on. Ex. If I was on 18 in LR I'd randomly lightly bubble 23-26, then work through the rest - erasing and correcting the last 3 as needed. At one minute I'd darken what I couldn't get to. Also use this method with common sense - ie. in the last minutes keep an eye out for the easy ones as you come across them, make sure you get those right, and guess at ones that require more time that what you have left. A points a point, might as well get a sure thing in the bag while you can.

Proctors know about the bubbling other sections thing - at least mine did. And they warned us against being 'naughty.' Definitely not something you want to be caught doing, they do keep an eye out for it and it could end up costing you big.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:39 am

honestabe84 wrote:
eskimo wrote:This is from miamiman in another thread:
miamiman wrote:quick piece of advice from someone who's taken it:

1) don't talk to anyone during the break. no hablo ingles as far as you're concerned. someone from my test administration was heard speaking, however vaguely, about the prior section and was canned there and then.

2) drop your mofu*king pencils at 35 minutes. ANOTHER person was canned for this.
Huh? Are you not supposed to talk period, or just not about the test?
Yeah they're pretty obsessed. At my test, some guy was trying to bubble in a few answers after the bell and a proctor started yelling at him "stop" "NOW". Given previous posters story, the guy got off light.

And I wouldn't talk to anyone about anything. Why would you? there is only a few minutes. I just went to the bathroom, ate a power bar, and went back to the test room. Save your socializing for afterwards when you will inevitably drink heavily.
Last edited by legalease9 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigA

Bronze

Post by BigA » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:40 am

TheGambler wrote:At five minutes I'd randomly bubble in the last questions in a section - leaving the ones I think I could power through blank for me to keep working on. Ex. If I was on 18 in LR I'd randomly lightly bubble 23-26, then work through the rest - erasing and correcting the last 3 as needed. At one minute I'd darken what I couldn't get to. Also use this method with common sense - ie. in the last minutes keep an eye out for the easy ones as you come across them, make sure you get those right, and guess at ones that require more time that what you have left. A points a point, might as well get a sure thing in the bag while you can.

Proctors know about the bubbling other sections thing - at least mine did. And they warned us against being 'naughty.' Definitely not something you want to be caught doing, they do keep an eye out for it and it could end up costing you big.
Hey, that was a pretty helpful post, though people might be missing why I brought this post back from the dead... LOL

TheGambler

New

Post by TheGambler » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:20 pm

haha anytime man! hope that method works out for you :wink:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”