What is everybody doing for...... Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
auburntiger

New

What is everybody doing for......

Post by auburntiger » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:00 pm

Hey guys im new here, and I wish I had found this forum before today. While studying/freaking out, Im taking this study break and stumbled upon this forum :| :D . I have a few qustions that I have been wanting to ask other lsat takers and just dont know anybody that is taking it or has studied for it.
First of all, I didnt have much money to buy a test prep book and bought the barrons 07 edition because it was like $30 cheaper than the any 2010 edition. I was just wondering if that was too old or will it suffice? I searched the topics for the sections and it was the same thing as what is in the 07 and so it seemed like it would do, am I going to be unprepared for anything?
My second qustion is is anybody taking the june test just to see how it is and how to better prepare for the october or december test? Initially I thought I would be able to study enough for this test and hopefully be the only one I need to take, but I couldnt start studying until after finals and I havent done enough since then so unless I get lucky I think I will have to take it again? How many times have some of you taken it? Also is anybody already signed up for the october or december test(or both)?
Also, I am having some problems with the reading comprehension, such as marking and time issues and even getting half the answers correct. Is there a book or website I should check out to help with this? What are some of you doing to help in this area? And if I am having trouble in this area should I be really worried about potential law school?
Last question, sorry about the long post, say that I am even in every section( scoring wise), what is the main thing I should work on to prepare for the test? Time, etc...?
Again, sorry for the long post, and thanks for anyhelp, and good luck!

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Re: What is everybody doing for......

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:08 pm

auburntiger wrote:Hey guys im new here, and I wish I had found this forum before today. While studying/freaking out, Im taking this study break and stumbled upon this forum :| :D . I have a few qustions that I have been wanting to ask other lsat takers and just dont know anybody that is taking it or has studied for it.
First of all, I didnt have much money to buy a test prep book and bought the barrons 07 edition because it was like $30 cheaper than the any 2010 edition. I was just wondering if that was too old or will it suffice? I searched the topics for the sections and it was the same thing as what is in the 07 and so it seemed like it would do, am I going to be unprepared for anything?
My second qustion is is anybody taking the june test just to see how it is and how to better prepare for the october or december test? Initially I thought I would be able to study enough for this test and hopefully be the only one I need to take, but I couldnt start studying until after finals and I havent done enough since then so unless I get lucky I think I will have to take it again? How many times have some of you taken it? Also is anybody already signed up for the october or december test(or both)?
Also, I am having some problems with the reading comprehension, such as marking and time issues and even getting half the answers correct. Is there a book or website I should check out to help with this? What are some of you doing to help in this area? And if I am having trouble in this area should I be really worried about potential law school?
Last question, sorry about the long post, say that I am even in every section( scoring wise), what is the main thing I should work on to prepare for the test? Time, etc...?
Again, sorry for the long post, and thanks for anyhelp, and good luck!
1) Don't take the June LSAT just for the experience of taking it, unless you go in knowing you will immediately cancel after taking it. There is no point in having a low score on your record just because you wanted to take it to see what happens.

2) If you are doing self-study buy the powerscore bibles for at least Games and Logical Reasoning. And yes, the most current versions are best (though if it's only a year or two old that's fine).

3) Buy/download/whatever as many Preptests are possible and plan on taking (and reviewing) as many as you can before October. Start with the older tests and save the most recent for last.

4) Use a study guide if you need the structure. Some good ones are:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =6&t=41657
http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2010/05/5- ... -plan.html

5) Use separate paragraphs.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:12 pm

Absolutely do not take the June LSAT -- a low score could torpedo your chances at decent schools.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:14 pm

Also don't use the Barrons book. It is terrible. I scored 19/21 in the Logic Games section on my first ever PT using the Barrons book, only to find out that I was pretty clueless on how to solve REAL logic games. They do not use authorized LSAT questions.

I have also heard from many others that the Barrons guide made them worse at the LSAT.

auburntiger

New

Post by auburntiger » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:28 pm

Thanks for the help, and I will start writing in paragraphs :oops:. I guess for next time, what is the best book or books I should use for my studies? I seem too unprepared from what I read, I really didn't think about how a low score would effect my admission chances. I take it that law schools will take into account scores from all lsats taken? So is it really worth it to say goodbye to my $136 and not take the test monday and sign up for the october or december test if I really believe I am too unprepared? Again, thanks for any help and Im sorry ya'll are having to deal with an idiot here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:40 pm

auburntiger wrote:Thanks for the help, and I will start writing in paragraphs :oops:. I guess for next time, what is the best book or books I should use for my studies? I seem too unprepared from what I read, I really didn't think about how a low score would effect my admission chances. I take it that law schools will take into account scores from all lsats taken? So is it really worth it to say goodbye to my $136 and not take the test monday and sign up for the october or december test if I really believe I am too unprepared? Again, thanks for any help and Im sorry ya'll are having to deal with an idiot here.
No prob, welcome to the site.. Some schools will still average your LSAT scores but even those that take the higher of your scores see the lower score. Taking an LSAT cold seems like a pretty poor reason and I would not want to explain this to adcoms. Take a look around the site and you'll find many guides to LSAT prep. Some people swear by the Powerscore Bibles and some don't. From what it sounds like, you are too unprepared to take the LSAT right now. You'll find a lot of people have taken every single prep test available -- the cost of not preparing fully is just too much. Best of luck.

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:43 pm

+1 on what other posters said re: Barron's - their LSAT books are not worth using and are potentially harmful to boot.

On to your most recent questions:
auburntiger wrote:what is the best book or books I should use for my studies?
The study guides that Richie mentioned list what many on this board consider to be the best book(s) for your studies.
auburntiger wrote: I seem too unprepared from what I read, I really didn't think about how a low score would effect my admission chances.
LSAT is extremely important in the admissions process. See http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com to determine the LSAT score you'll likely need for the schools you're considering.
auburntiger wrote:I take it that law schools will take into account scores from all lsats taken?
Most law schools now only consider the highest score when inputting your LSAT and GPA into the admissions index. However, a few schools (generally, the highest-ranked schools, but a few others as well) still average multiple scores. Some schools don't disclose whether they do or not.
auburntiger wrote:So is it really worth it to say goodbye to my $136 and not take the test monday and sign up for the october or december test if I really believe I am too unprepared?
Yes. $136 is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Take it only when you're ready.

(You can take it on Monday as a dry run - a way to get a feel for what taking it in the test center is like, but it'll count as one of the 3 times in a 2-year period that you can take the exam. Additionally, it would expose you to the June test, which you would otherwise be able to take for the first time as a practice exam before Oct or Dec. Whatever you do, if you take it on Monday, cancel the score.)

auburntiger wrote:Again, thanks for any help and Im sorry ya'll are having to deal with an idiot here.
Being new to the process certainly doesn't make you an idiot! :) At some point in our lives, none of us on this board knew anything at all about the admission process. No need to apologize for not knowing stuff. The board is as a place you can ask questions and receive answers to them.

Hope this all helps!
Steve

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:45 pm

The saddest thing is when people find TLS when they get home from the LSAT and realize there is a pretty awesome support network they missed out on. Also, I heard a girl posts on here.

auburntiger

New

Post by auburntiger » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:53 pm

Thanks guys! I should have worded what I said about the low score differently, what I ment was I didnt realize what having a low score along with an acceptable score would do for my chances. I am beginning to think I shouldn't take the test monday because it is a long drive and a work day missed, but I would have also liked the practice of taking it. Is it worth it to take it to see how it is knowing I will cancel, or just wait until I am ready?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:55 pm

waiting until you are ready and no showing is better because it doesn't count against your times taken with two year limit.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:02 pm

auburntiger wrote:Thanks guys! I should have worded what I said about the low score differently, what I ment was I didnt realize what having a low score along with an acceptable score would do for my chances. I am beginning to think I shouldn't take the test monday because it is a long drive and a work day missed, but I would have also liked the practice of taking it. Is it worth it to take it to see how it is knowing I will cancel, or just wait until I am ready?
There is probably not much difference between having an absent on your record and a cancel. The absent might look SLIGHTLY better, but I really don't think adcomms care too much about a person having just one of either (if it's a couple though that might be a small red flag).

The major difference is that I am fairly confident that the absent does not count towards your limit of 3 takes* within 2 years, while the cancel does.

I personally would probably hold off on taking it for now, just in case you need both of those retakes. It really is a decision that could go either way though. In any case, make sure to fill in the two bubbles on the test that indicates you will be canceling. Don't be the person to hold off on doing it and allow yourself to miss the cancellation deadline.

*A 4th is allowed if you write a request to a law school to do so and they grant that request.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:08 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:Also don't use the Barrons book. It is terrible. I scored 19/21 in the Logic Games section on my first ever PT using the Barrons book, only to find out that I was pretty clueless on how to solve REAL logic games. They do not use authorized LSAT questions.

I have also heard from many others that the Barrons guide made them worse at the LSAT.
+1. I had an '03 version of the Barron's book when I first started out prepping and it wasn't very good. An even worse piece of crap I had was a McGraw-Hill Logic Games guide. Powerscore is where it's at.

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:09 pm

Everything Richie said is 100% correct.

Adcomms don't really care about people having only one cancel or absence.

Due to the test date change deadline being much earlier than the exam itself, many people have at least one cancel or absence.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”