PT 59 Discussion HERE Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
HOV

New

Re: PT 59 Discussion HERE

Post by HOV » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:40 am

Can somebody please explain what exactly the illicit shift in a key term is in #15 LR1? I know it has to do with the term anarchy and may have something to do with a shift from laissez-faire capitalism to fundamental principles of social philosophy. i just need a reinforced explanation to be at ease about this question is all.

Thanks in advance.

sknight323

New

Post by sknight323 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:41 am

Can anyone explain #19 on the first LR section to me?

I usually crush these types of questions but some reason I'm having trouble understanding this one, even though it seems very simple. Thanks.

sknight323

New

Post by sknight323 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:49 am

HOV wrote:Can somebody please explain what exactly the illicit shift in a key term is in #15 LR1? I know it has to do with the term anarchy and may have something to do with a shift from laissez-faire capitalism to fundamental principles of social philosophy. i just need a reinforced explanation to be at ease about this question is all.

Thanks in advance.
It has to do with the use of the word "extreme", I believe. The first time it is used has a negative connotation to it, as it is some type of "extreme" ideology. The second time it used to display how the anarchism could be reached by taking laissez-faire capitalism to its extreme, though not in the same negative sense it was used the first time.

Talking Ape

New

Post by Talking Ape » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:03 pm

sknight323 wrote:
HOV wrote:Can somebody please explain what exactly the illicit shift in a key term is in #15 LR1? I know it has to do with the term anarchy and may have something to do with a shift from laissez-faire capitalism to fundamental principles of social philosophy. i just need a reinforced explanation to be at ease about this question is all.

Thanks in advance.
It has to do with the use of the word "extreme", I believe. The first time it is used has a negative connotation to it, as it is some type of "extreme" ideology. The second time it used to display how the anarchism could be reached by taking laissez-faire capitalism to its extreme, though not in the same negative sense it was used the first time.

The key term is "anarchy" the meaning switches from "absence of government" to "any social philosophy that countenances chaos." Difficult question, there were about 2-3 on this section that require you to take a step back and look at what's going on.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:51 pm

honestabe84 wrote:I have never seen anything like PT 59. It seems like the creators of the LSAT made some big changes with this test, specifically with LR. I found LR (especially the first one) very strange and hard. There seemed to be many 'new' questions - I seriously think the creators of the LSAT are attempting to counteract the prep companies. The curve is the only thing on this test that saved my score - I scored maybe a point or two below my average. As for the other two sections, I thought LG was nothing unusual (maybe more time consuming, though), but RC was probably a little more difficult that usual.

Anyway, I figured many of you that are prepping for the 7th will be taking this PT soon (or have already), and I thought we could use this thread to discuss the test, especially some of the harder LR questions.
Your prep test theory is accurate. The prep test companies have acknolwedged this.

I found the games to be tricky. RC was really hard. LR wasn't that bad. You just had to be super careful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lexyeva

New

Post by Lexyeva » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:51 am

What is the best way to attack LG 3 on PT 59? I usually do well on the LG but for some reason this one stumped me. What is the trick to doing this one fast without writing out every answer choice??

testmachine45

Bronze

Post by testmachine45 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:15 am

Took PT 59 today.

11-16, logic games:

11: Standard rule application

12: Standard rule application

13: Also standard rule deduction....its just running through the rules on each one. P forces you to have all four filled up.

14: Eliminate answer choices: P is out because it forces stats at 9am, so down to three.
WH is out cause it forces stats at 3pm.

15:- You know its not Psych
-You know its not WH
So this leaves J, M, R. If it's J then its J and R
If its M, then its R and M
If its R, then its R and J or M
SO R HAS TO BE IN EVERY CASE. you dont need to map them all out. R just appears more than once and thats enough for this really. its how i did it.

16: c, d, e are all out because stats is not included.
You know that -J means R has to be included....so B is out.
Leaving you with A.

Took about 5 seconds.

testmachine45

Bronze

Post by testmachine45 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:31 am

I thought LR was really hard on pt 59. I got -10, i think. 7 were in the first 15. very unusual.

Kaves

New

Post by Kaves » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:22 am

testmachine45 wrote:I thought LR was really hard on pt 59. I got -10, i think. 7 were in the first 15. very unusual.

I just took the first section of LR59 and got -1, I normally get 3-7 so this was quite odd seeing the trouble everyone else had. Got 22 wrong FWIW

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kpuc

Bronze

Post by kpuc » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:12 am

Thanks in advance.
That was a tough one that I could only get through PoE, but I think the "illicit shift" is in the definition of anarchy. He first defines it as an absence of government; later on, he defines it as chaos. Lack of government and chaos aren't necessarily the same thing.

PostHawk

New

Post by PostHawk » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:08 am

Kaves wrote:
testmachine45 wrote:I thought LR was really hard on pt 59. I got -10, i think. 7 were in the first 15. very unusual.

I just took the first section of LR59 and got -1, I normally get 3-7 so this was quite odd seeing the trouble everyone else had. Got 22 wrong FWIW

I know everyone's saying this PT was different and didn't do well but this was my best PT by a good 4 points... I guess I can only hope the test tomorrow is similar to this one...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”