PT 59, LR sect 3, #22, Obligations Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
freddie

New

PT 59, LR sect 3, #22, Obligations

Post by freddie » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:53 pm

The first part of the correct answer (d), about sufficient and necessary conditions makes sense to me. I am stuck on the last part of the answer: any obligation to perform an action is a legal obligation.

I would really appreciate it if someone could point out where the latter portion of the answer comes from in the stimulus.

Eternally grateful, Freddie

scuzle

Bronze

Re: PT 59, LR sect 3, #22, Obligations

Post by scuzle » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:17 pm

I got stuck on this as well. I think it is saying that we do not have enough information gauge whether or not it can be a legal obligation. Its making a logical leap without qualifying it before. Perhaps if the argument had said "any obligation is necessarily a legal obligation it would hold, but law is just interjected at the end with no relevance in any of the premises.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:05 pm

scuzle wrote:I got stuck on this as well. I think it is saying that we do not have enough information gauge whether or not it can be a legal obligation. Its making a logical leap without qualifying it before. Perhaps if the argument had said "any obligation is necessarily a legal obligation it would hold, but law is just interjected at the end with no relevance in any of the premises.
This is correct, but seems a bit confusing to me.

The reason for the second part of the answer is that even granting the necc/suff flaw in the first step of the argument, the second step inserts "legal obligation" where only "obligation" is implied by the argument. In addition to being poor reasoning, it's patently false; there are many obligations that are not legal obligations.

freddie

New

Post by freddie » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:42 am

Thanks for the explanations. I am still not grasping it. Since the start of the premise refers to 'any' obligation and 'any' agreement, wouldn't a legal obligation fall under this category? I thought the end of the stimulus, in refering to legal obligations, was giving a specific example for the general statements made at the start of the stimulus...If this is the case, then the stimulus is not saying that any obligation is legal, but that legal obligations are a type of obligation, that follow the rules that govern all obligations.

Where am I going wrong in interpreting the stimulus?

Thanks again!

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:10 am

freddie wrote:Thanks for the explanations. I am still not grasping it. Since the start of the premise refers to 'any' obligation and 'any' agreement, wouldn't a legal obligation fall under this category? I thought the end of the stimulus, in refering to legal obligations, was giving a specific example for the general statements made at the start of the stimulus...If this is the case, then the stimulus is not saying that any obligation is legal, but that legal obligations are a type of obligation, that follow the rules that govern all obligations.

Where am I going wrong in interpreting the stimulus?

Thanks again!
It actually is.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

freddie

New

Post by freddie » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:26 am

Care to elaborate?

Saltqjibo

Bronze

Post by Saltqjibo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:56 pm

Yeah. I got this one right but only on the "best answer" principle. All the other were pretty far off. I actually don't think the second half of the answer is accurate at all - unless I'm missing something. Rather none of the other answers contained anything "correct". Still wasted way too much time second guessing myself after I had definitively crossed off all the others.

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Post by PlugInBaby » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:41 pm

The first half of the answer is what i prephrased....but the second half didn't jive with me at all. I spent 3 or 4 minutes on that one....but eventually and fortunately settled for D since the others ones didn't seem close.

freddie

New

Post by freddie » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:42 pm

Glad to hear that I am not the only one who sees the illogicality of that answer!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”