What to do for the last week? energy drink? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
mz253

Bronze

What to do for the last week? energy drink?

Post by mz253 » Mon May 31, 2010 10:14 pm

I know it must be a repetitive question, but I wonder what people do in the last week. I'm not looking for a jump in my score, just would like to keep my energy up and mind fresh for the test day (aka, avoid burn out) but still keep a high level of proficiency doing the exam.

any useful tips?

btw, how do you guys plan to keep up your energy level during the exam? coffee, tea, or energy drink, or something else?

Grizz

Diamond

Re: What to do for the last week? energy drink?

Post by Grizz » Mon May 31, 2010 10:16 pm

--ImageRemoved--

SAE

Silver

Post by SAE » Mon May 31, 2010 10:25 pm

rad law wrote:--ImageRemoved--
for some reason, this response in coffee/energy drink/aderall/etc. threads never seems to get old.

SAE

Silver

Post by SAE » Mon May 31, 2010 10:29 pm

mz253 wrote:I know it must be a repetitive question, but I wonder what people do in the last week. I'm not looking for a jump in my score, just would like to keep my energy up and mind fresh for the test day (aka, avoid burn out) but still keep a high level of proficiency doing the exam.

any useful tips?

btw, how do you guys plan to keep up your energy level during the exam? coffee, tea, or energy drink, or something else?
to answer your questions at least partially, do not try anything new on the actual test with which you haven't pt'ed at least a few times and know how it affects you.

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Mon May 31, 2010 10:35 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Mon May 31, 2010 10:41 pm

Sugar-Free energy drink (120-220mg caffeine range) > large coffee on the morning of. Don't want to take the test on a full bladder. If you are inclined to caffeine tolerance, avoid it until testday.
daesonesb wrote:Image
While I'm opposed to mixing drugs, ^^ is credited in addition to the previous advice.

mz253

Bronze

Post by mz253 » Mon May 31, 2010 11:03 pm

'm just so scared of caffeine. i cannot tolerate coffee unless i put lots of milk in it. i wonder if there's anyone who can go through the complete exam without any caffeine?

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Mon May 31, 2010 11:15 pm

I got nine hours of sleep for two nights in a row before the LSAT. The night before, I packed all the shit I needed for the test, put out the shit I wanted to wear, and read a novel in bed till I fell asleep. Morning of, I woke up 2 hours early, ate breakfast, showered etc., then biked to the test. I think the light exercise of biking got my brain juice flowing, and the breakfast was definitely a plus. Also, I brought a couple granola bars and an apple for the snack, which also kept me going. Bring like 5 pre sharpened 2hb pencils and a good eraser. Non digital watches are FTW too, if you have one.

Also, the pre-game Deuce is essential. Not only does a nice long crap release endorphins (which relax you before the test), it is credited because you don't wanna be prairie dogging it during a 5 hour test.

On that note, if you aren't a caffeine drinker, then don't drink coffee before the LSAT. Besides giving you the jitters, then making you crash, it'll just make you need to pee, and you can't pee during the LSAT. If you are a caffeine drinker, then by god drink up... you'll be sluggish if you dont.

Finally, show up early and don't hang out in the nervous throngs of Undergrads that coagulate outside of the test center. Find a quiet place with some fresh air. A lot of people say you should work through some logic games to get your brain moving... I didn't, and I don't think it hurt me. If you think you need to, then by all means...

These test day tips will make sure that you are in tip-top shape to write the LSAT. Now go out there and get that [strike]155[/strike] 172!

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Mon May 31, 2010 11:24 pm

mz253 wrote:'m just so scared of caffeine. i cannot tolerate coffee unless i put lots of milk in it. i wonder if there's anyone who can go through the complete exam without any caffeine?
Seriously?

Ok, scratch my previous advice. People can go through sans caffeine if that's how their wired. Others find the alertness helpful. DO NOT give into the potential temptations to use medications like adderall at all cost. If you think you might need sharpness but can't handle "crystal meth in a can" try perhaps a 5-hour energy. It's equivalent to a very weak cup of coffee and very small (so no full bladder!).

Definitely agree with the previous poster about the waking up 2 hours early and getting plenty of sleep a few days in a row, clear bowels (avoid gassy stuff, too), and decent food supplies. (Not sure about the exercise; to each their own, I suppose).

If you need a morale boost, maybe do a few practice problems to get yourself in the mindset before you leave. Depending on how you optimistic/pessimistic you are, they should be either your best or worst section types.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Mon May 31, 2010 11:35 pm

I find a little light exercise in the morning boosts alertness, kills stress, and overall makes me feel better.

Then again, it's like the caffeine thing... if you don't do it in your everyday life, it's probably not a good call.

mz253

Bronze

Post by mz253 » Mon May 31, 2010 11:35 pm

hey thanks for the advice. but i wonder what advice would you give to get rid of nervousness during the exam. right now, i'm thinking i should just tell myself try to finish every section. right now, i feel my biggest problem is that i tend to stuck with one question for like 3 or 4 minutes and i have difficulty to give it up.
NoleinNY wrote:
mz253 wrote:'m just so scared of caffeine. i cannot tolerate coffee unless i put lots of milk in it. i wonder if there's anyone who can go through the complete exam without any caffeine?
Seriously?

Ok, scratch my previous advice. People can go through sans caffeine if that's how their wired. Others find the alertness helpful. DO NOT give into the potential temptations to use medications like adderall at all cost. If you think you might need sharpness but can't handle "crystal meth in a can" try perhaps a 5-hour energy. It's equivalent to a very weak cup of coffee and very small (so no full bladder!).

Definitely agree with the previous poster about the waking up 2 hours early and getting plenty of sleep a few days in a row, clear bowels (avoid gassy stuff, too), and decent food supplies. (Not sure about the exercise; to each their own, I suppose).

If you need a morale boost, maybe do a few practice problems to get yourself in the mindset before you leave. Depending on how you optimistic/pessimistic you are, they should be either your best or worst section types.

jjlaw

Bronze

Post by jjlaw » Mon May 31, 2010 11:52 pm

I usually drink a sugar-free Red Bull about 30-45 minutes before my PT, which gives me a good boost throughout the test (and beyond sometimes). The 30-45 minute wait is crucial; once I started PT-ing immediately after finishing, and I just felt sluggish until the caffeine finally kicked in by the second section. Plus, the 30-45 minute wait is probably a realistic estimate of how long it'll be between when I leave my car at the test center and when I look at the first problem on the test.

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Mon May 31, 2010 11:53 pm

Tell yourself that it's not a big deal if you fuck up, but that you are going to give it your very best shot.

You are a june tester, you always have september and december retake, so your stress should be relatively low, right?

I still stand by a bit of exercise as a good way to kill the stress. That and deep breathing. Wooooo Saaa.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mz253

Bronze

Post by mz253 » Mon May 31, 2010 11:59 pm

it's my retake... first time, i slept only two hours the night before, drank coffee but my stomach was totally fucked up... the table was extremely small (not big enough to fit half of the test bookelet), and screwed LG... hopefully i won't do worse than that!!!

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:00 am

mz253 wrote:it's my retake... first time, i slept only two hours the night before, drank coffee but my stomach was totally fucked up... the table was extremely small (not big enough to fit half of the test bookelet), and screwed LG... hopefully i won't do worse than that!!!
that sounds like a recipe for a sub par score. :P

mz253

Bronze

Post by mz253 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:02 am

i really didn't want to retake, so i didn't cancel, hope it would turn out OK. but it didn't. so i was very upset and had to start everything over again.

LSAT killed so much of my time. honestly, i think i should choose MCAT, at least it's lot of memorization and that's what i'm good at.

lsatextreme

Silver

Post by lsatextreme » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:41 am

mz253 wrote:i really didn't want to retake, so i didn't cancel, hope it would turn out OK. but it didn't. so i was very upset and had to start everything over again.

LSAT killed so much of my time. honestly, i think i should choose MCAT, at least it's lot of memorization and that's what i'm good at.
I came from the MCAT world and I am of the opinion that the LSAT walks all over the MCAT in terms of performing well. I sure as hell did significantly better on the MCAT than I'll ever do on the LSAT, even though I'm studying twice as long

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rockstar4488

Bronze

Post by rockstar4488 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:31 am

I felt that doing ~15 min of problems in the car once I parked was extremely helpful. As far as stimulants, stay away if they haven't been a normal part of your practice test taking regimen.

shoop

Bronze

Post by shoop » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:40 am

If you don't drink highly caffeinated beverages on a regular basis, the week before a huge test is a terrible time to take up the habit.

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:51 am

shoop wrote:If you don't drink highly caffeinated beverages on a regular basis, the week before a huge test is a terrible time to take up the habit.
Yes -- it is too late to learn how your body reacts to new substances at this point in the game.

mz253

Bronze

Post by mz253 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:27 pm

btw, how early should we get to the test site? 12:00 or earlier? It's pretty hot now. I am not a big fan of getting my brain burnt by the sun.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

oxford_don

Bronze

Post by oxford_don » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:35 pm

[]
Last edited by oxford_don on Sun May 11, 2014 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jpSartre

Bronze

Post by jpSartre » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:59 pm

Drank 1/2 of a 5 hour energy before 58, went -2, -1, exp, drank the second half during my break and went -5 -2. I finished the second LR in 20 minutes, and I think an inability to concentrate due to the rush of energy made me screw up the LG when I got back from break.

Won't be taking a whole bottle on monday... maybe a half in the morning though, i think its helping me wit RC

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”