kaplan course for $11000? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
shock259

Gold

Re: kaplan course for $11000?

Post by shock259 » Sat May 29, 2010 10:47 pm

I can't believe they only administer 6 practice tests.

HiLine

Bronze

Post by HiLine » Sun May 30, 2010 1:02 am

It's not even a course. It's a summer camp. Time to go out and enjoy the sun? :mrgreen:

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun May 30, 2010 3:32 pm

$11k? I got private tutoring from them for far less than half that. WTF?

confusedlawyer

Bronze

Post by confusedlawyer » Sun May 30, 2010 6:23 pm

keg411 wrote:$11k? I got private tutoring from them for far less than half that. WTF?
Why would you even need private tutoring?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun May 30, 2010 11:45 pm

confusedlawyer wrote:
keg411 wrote:$11k? I got private tutoring from them for far less than half that. WTF?
Why would you even need private tutoring?
Because I worked 40 hours/week and took a class that took up another 15 hours/week while I was studying for the LSAT and needed extra time structure. I also wanted to make sure I understood the test and that my progress was being measured accurately and my diagnostic was in the low 150's, and based on what I had read in practice books, I wasn't confident in being able to increase the score with self-study and didn't have the availability for a class. But I'm done with the LSAT, thank god and scored quite well :).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Mon May 31, 2010 12:03 am

There are only 6 proctored tests because many/most of the questions that they give you to practice with are real questions. Proctoring practice tests full of questions you have already done is useless. hth.

hellojd

Bronze

Post by hellojd » Mon May 31, 2010 11:57 pm

I thought the title was a typo. Wow. Just...wow.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:22 am

confusedlawyer wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:
hellokitty wrote:
confusedlawyer wrote:I could smoke a blunt and drink a bottle of grey goose, walk into the LSAT and score above a 150. No joke intended
Lol, maybe you could tutor me. I didn't score much better, that being said, I'm glad I only wasted $1200 on Kaplan and not 11k. They suck.
first lesson:

break it,
scrape it,
stuff it,
roll it,
smoke it.

yw.
Don't worry brother, I got a half quarter of some juicy fruit waiting for me June 7th at 7:00 pm. Going to sit and my backward and smoke the LSAT away
Lucky...my reward is to drive back to school and go study for finals, and learn everything I had to neglect to focus on the LSAT.

KDLMaj

Bronze

Post by KDLMaj » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:33 pm

shock259 wrote:I can't believe they only administer 6 practice tests.
That's because it's false. It's not a 6 week program, it's a 12 week program. 6 weeks are spent in Boston learning everything you can about the LSAT- with 6 proctored exams (one a week) and many timed sections a week (plus any additional work students want to do- provided they actually have time).

THEN 6 MORE exams are proctored in the following 6 weeks, and of course the students have access to every released exam as well as a pre-recorded proctoring session. And, of course, during that time the students also have regular test reviews and continue to work with their personal tutors who will assign additional exams depending on their student's needs.

The scores that come out of the program aren't all 160s and 170s, but you have to remember that a large portion of the people who attend at all are people who started off in the 120s and 130s and who would probably never have broken 140 without it. Despite the snide tone posters on these sites like to take, not everyone gets a 170 and as long as this is a timed exam, not everyone is capable of it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

indo

Bronze

Post by indo » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:37 pm

calicocat wrote:Knew someone who took this course. They were proud of their 158.
That person must be loaded and do not know how to study.
I am wondering what kind of lawyer he/she will be after paying $$$$ and only get 158 ?

KDLMaj

Bronze

Post by KDLMaj » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:39 pm

indo wrote:
calicocat wrote:Knew someone who took this course. They were proud of their 158.
I am wondering what kind of lawyer he/she will be after paying $$$$ and only get 158 ?
My boyfriend got in the low 150s. He now makes $250,000 a year at a top law firm that most of the people on this forum won't ever have a prayer of getting an interview with. His best friend did even worse, and he now makes over $300,000 as a lawyer for a major tech company.

You do the math.

indo

Bronze

Post by indo » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:43 pm

KDLMaj wrote:
indo wrote:
My boyfriend got in the low 150s. He now makes $250,000 a year at a top law firm that most of the people on this forum won't ever have a prayer of getting an interview with. His best friend did even worse, and he now makes over $300,000 as a lawyer for a major tech company.

You do the math.
what school law he graduated from ?

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:43 pm

KDLMaj wrote:
indo wrote:

You do the math.
Extreme luck or connections?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Angrygeopolitically

Bronze

Post by Angrygeopolitically » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:46 pm

If you give me $6000 I will fly to your house live at an extended stay hotel nearby and teach you how to master the test, seriously. It really isn't that hard with the right material. i'm in the 99.9%-tile and i still believe in Santa Claus

KDM are you serious. First lsat lesson: flaws- exceptional case and cause and effect.

indo

Bronze

Post by indo » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:48 pm

noleknight16 wrote:
KDLMaj wrote:
indo wrote:

You do the math.
Extreme luck or connections?

It has to be both. Just like NBA , NFl , and MLB players some will make Millions but majority of those player from high and college will NOT make it to the major leagues.

KDLMaj

Bronze

Post by KDLMaj » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:53 pm

indo wrote:
KDLMaj wrote:
indo wrote:

You do the math.
what school law he graduated from ?
Both of them went to the same no name law school in San Diego. And neither of them had connections to anything.

I know all the 20 year-olds on these forums like to pretend that they have much of an idea of how the real world works, but let me boil down a few things for you:

The LSAT has a far stronger correlation to the school you attend than it does your capacity to practice law because the LSAT is in a format the bears little or no resemblance to the actual practice of law. (Picture your average secretarial job combined with your average undergraduate research job, combine them, and you have your typical legal job)

The law school you go to matters the most for corporate law firm jobs and academia, but as you move outward to other positions its weight dramatically decreases.

The reason why the LSAT is strongly correlated with Bar passage rates is that both of them are intense, timed tests that require a lot of study skills. And if you do well on intense, timed tests and have great study skills then you'll do well on each of those.

For those same reasons, the LSAT is strongly correlated with first year law school grades. Because it's a test designed to assess your aptitude for the *study* of law- not its practice, which is generally irrelevant in law school.

Having said that, the LSAT is incredibly important because it gets you into a school where you *might* actually be able to get a job these days in a corporate law firm of your choosing (presence of a soul not required), and, more importantly, because it can pay your way through.

But it doesn't tell you how great a lawyer you're going to be. It never has. It never will. That's not its job.

Angrygeopolitically

Bronze

Post by Angrygeopolitically » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:07 pm

Of course it doesn't have a strong correlation to how good of a lawyer you will be.

I think the point is that, for the most part, the law school you get into will have a big impact on the 'likelihood' of a good paying job after school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

indo

Bronze

Post by indo » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:17 pm

Your BF and his friend are very lucky graduated from (T 3 law school) and got a great paying job.
The odd of getting that kind of jobs is less than 5%.
$ 250000 Plus is salary or include stock options/ bonuses ?
I know many people in high tech company make base salary 140 K as engineers but with stock option and bonuses
it will be over $ 400K plus.

KDL - you must be in 30 ? 40 ?

KDLMaj

Bronze

Post by KDLMaj » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:23 pm

Angrygeopolitically wrote:Of course it doesn't have a strong correlation to how good of a lawyer you will be.

I think the point is that, for the most part, the law school you get into will have a big impact on the 'likelihood' of a good paying job after school.
Agreed, 100%. Someone prior claimed a lower score (158- as though a 70-80th percentile is low?) means you were going to be a questionable lawyer, and that's what I was arguing against.

But never forget that while the Law School you go to very much affects your first job (IF you're doing firm or academic/clerking work), it doesn't much affect your 2nd, 3rd, etc.

As for the original thread topic- the Kaplan Summer program is amazing. And I will say that I know for a fact that the satisfaction rate among the students is VERY high.

QuincyWagstaff

New

Post by QuincyWagstaff » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:34 pm

KDLMaj wrote:
Angrygeopolitically wrote:Of course it doesn't have a strong correlation to how good of a lawyer you will be.

Agreed, 100%. Someone prior claimed a lower score (158- as though a 70-80th percentile is low?) means you were going to be a questionable lawyer, and that's what I was arguing against.

But never forget that while the Law School you go to very much affects your first job (IF you're doing firm or academic/clerking work), it doesn't much affect your 2nd, 3rd, etc.

As for the original thread topic- the Kaplan Summer program is amazing. And I will say that I know for a fact that the satisfaction rate among the students is VERY high.
Would you recommend working for Kaplan as an instructor?

SUCO

New

Post by SUCO » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:14 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:For only $5000 I'll dig a pit and trap you in it for 6 weeks for an intensive preparation course.

"It takes the preptest or else it gets the hose again."
Hilarious :lol:

Also not sure why this thread got resurrected :?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CorkBoard

Gold

Post by CorkBoard » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:21 pm

Avoid Kaplan. My sister told me to retake the class because "even if you score one point higher on the next test, it's worth it".

Needless to say, she isn't in law school and hasn't done any research on the LSAT or Kaplan's effectivity with raising scores. She did take the class, but she had to take it because she didn't get the concepts whereas I did and felt incredibly weighed down by the rest of the people in my class and their overall approach to the test...my issue is timing.

Avoid avoid avoid

hotchkiss1

New

Post by hotchkiss1 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:20 am

KDLMaj wrote:
indo wrote:

You do the math.

Is this person working for Kaplan? Should look at her previous posts, if "she" is the correct address. Or she is a bot, posting pro Kaplan posts automatically; but it would involve designing AI, hmm, not sure if Kaplan employees can do that.

willwash

Bronze

Post by willwash » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:33 am

hellokitty wrote:
confusedlawyer wrote:I could smoke a blunt and drink a bottle of grey goose, walk into the LSAT and score above a 150. No joke intended
Lol, maybe you could tutor me. I didn't score much better, that being said, I'm glad I only wasted $1200 on Kaplan and not 11k. They suck.
The problem isn't Kaplan. The problem is people. They (Kaplan) charge a fair market price for what they provide...it's just that what they provide is so unnecessary. It's like fat people who think they need a personal trainer to get in shape. No dumbass, here's some shoes, there's the road. Go run. You can buy all the LSATs from LSAC or Cambridge for a few hundred bucks and people on TLS are happy to explain why your wrong answers are wrong.

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:37 am

I once applied to Kaplan during some downtime between closing down my business and starting law school. They only required a 162 LSAT score (not even on a real examination, a preptest). They also only pay like $20 an hour to their employees. I made 50/hour later teaching the LSAT, and blueprint pays $100/hour.

I was invited to a teaching interview where they had me show them how to put a diaper on a teddy bear. I did not get the job because I didn't teach with enough vigor or something. They actually cared more about my pedagogical delivery than my knowledge of the LSAT itself, which they never even asked about. However, I did notice that their other LSAT teachers were MBA and T2 law students on my way out the door. When I left they mentioned I could come back and tryout for the ACT, GMAT, or LSAT again (I was puzzled why they would want me to teach the GMAT).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”