Need Advice Please Help Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Oblivion_08

Bronze

Re: Need Advice Please Help

Post by Oblivion_08 » Sat May 29, 2010 10:23 pm

I am 20 years old, and I am applying for schools in 2010. I have 103 units and I am about to graduate, if I do mess up should I take it in October or December??

confusedlawyer

Bronze

Post by confusedlawyer » Sat May 29, 2010 10:28 pm

Flaw questions come in 2 types. The type I assume you are talking about is which of the following exhibits the flaw in the reasoning of the argument above. There is also, which of the following arguments most parallels the flawed reasoning of the argument above.

For the former, you first must recognize the conclusion, this is crucial. Next you have to organize the argument in conditional statements. If you have any grasp of formal logic (antecedents and consequents) this should make it easier. If you do not know, read the article in LSAT prep on TLS. Anyways lets say that the argument is:

If I kick the door, then I will scream in pain and cry
I cry
therefore I kicked the door

This is wrong (flawed) because I could have been crying for another reason. This flaw is known as affirming the consequent. Informally the right answer in LSAT talk would probably be "the argument states that because a result occurs from a given action, because that result occured, so did the sufficient action" (the sufficient action being kick the door)

The parallel ones are harder, I can't really explain. My tip is look at the conclusion first and eliminate the conclusions that dont match. But remember, the contrapositive can also count for parallel reasoning.

So if the argument goes: If I kick the door, then I will cry. If I cry, then my brother will beat me up. I kicked the door, therefore my brother will beat me up. The right answer could be something like

If I run home I will be tired. If I am tired, I won't be hungry. I am not hungry, therefore I did not run home

confusedlawyer

Bronze

Post by confusedlawyer » Sat May 29, 2010 10:29 pm

Oblivion_08 wrote:I am 20 years old, and I am applying for schools in 2010. I have 103 units and I am about to graduate, if I do mess up should I take it in October or December??
October would be good because it would still be in time for applications. December is a little late, but law schools will likely wait to see what your score is. February is cutting it too close

Oblivion_08

Bronze

Post by Oblivion_08 » Sat May 29, 2010 10:39 pm

Okay thank you. Recently I have been working on flaw/assumption/inference and I have noticed that I have been doing better. I need to practice a little more before. I don't want to burn out by taking too many tests, but I am going to pick up the superprep book tomorrow and then take another PT. I have PT's 19-28 and i am going to take 20 tomorrow. Are there any tests you recommend me taking?

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Sat May 29, 2010 10:43 pm

Oblivion_08 wrote:Okay thank you. Recently I have been working on flaw/assumption/inference and I have noticed that I have been doing better. I need to practice a little more before. I don't want to burn out by taking too many tests, but I am going to pick up the superprep book tomorrow and then take another PT. I have PT's 19-28 and i am going to take 20 tomorrow. Are there any tests you recommend me taking?
Have you taken Dec. 09 yet? That was was brutal. I'm reviewing it now. It kicked my ass in December.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Sat May 29, 2010 10:44 pm

confusedlawyer wrote:
hellokitty wrote:
Oblivion_08 wrote:Honestly when I go back and read my mistakes it's obvious I mess up when I choose 180 degree answers. If I just pay more attention I think I will do better. Let's just see how I do on these next 3 tests...
I'm going to keep checking your thread, please update us! I struggled/am struggling with the LSAT myself. 3rd go around in October here. Good luck!
@HelloKitty, if you have any questions regarding LG or LR (not RC as I am not that great at it in order to feel comfortable giving advice) let me know I would be glad to help!
I will probably message you, thanks. LG is my weakest section.

Oblivion_08

Bronze

Post by Oblivion_08 » Sat May 29, 2010 10:51 pm

LG is so easy for me, you just have to relax and make smart deductions. I usually miss 4-6 wrong, and they are usually MUST be's that I miss. RC is my worst

confusedlawyer

Bronze

Post by confusedlawyer » Sat May 29, 2010 11:16 pm

hellokitty wrote:
confusedlawyer wrote:
hellokitty wrote:
Oblivion_08 wrote:Honestly when I go back and read my mistakes it's obvious I mess up when I choose 180 degree answers. If I just pay more attention I think I will do better. Let's just see how I do on these next 3 tests...
I'm going to keep checking your thread, please update us! I struggled/am struggling with the LSAT myself. 3rd go around in October here. Good luck!
@HelloKitty, if you have any questions regarding LG or LR (not RC as I am not that great at it in order to feel comfortable giving advice) let me know I would be glad to help!
I will probably message you, thanks. LG is my weakest section.
I will be able to help you in LG, I usually get perfect, if the games are either especially confusing or time consuming i get about -2. Let me know

confusedlawyer

Bronze

Post by confusedlawyer » Sat May 29, 2010 11:22 pm

Oblivion_08 wrote:Okay thank you. Recently I have been working on flaw/assumption/inference and I have noticed that I have been doing better. I need to practice a little more before. I don't want to burn out by taking too many tests, but I am going to pick up the superprep book tomorrow and then take another PT. I have PT's 19-28 and i am going to take 20 tomorrow. Are there any tests you recommend me taking?
To be honest, you should be doing more recent tests. I've done the actual 10 official LSAT book, it is good but the LSAT has changed, not significantly, but enough where the old tests aren't going to prepare you the best. Grab anything 40+, 50+ is best, especially being so close to the real thing. Psychologically it will help you as when you write the real test it won't be completely different from the 50+ tests

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Sat May 29, 2010 11:24 pm

confusedlawyer wrote:
To be honest, you should be doing more recent tests. I've done the actual 10 official LSAT book, it is good but the LSAT has changed, not significantly, but enough where the old tests aren't going to prepare you the best. Grab anything 40+, 50+ is best, especially being so close to the real thing. Psychologically it will help you as when you write the real test it won't be completely different from the 50+ tests
Agreed. I also feel like the newer tests are harder and you'd be better served to work on them.

Oblivion_08

Bronze

Post by Oblivion_08 » Sun May 30, 2010 2:28 am

How can I get these new tests?

confusedlawyer

Bronze

Post by confusedlawyer » Sun May 30, 2010 8:53 am

Oblivion_08 wrote:How can I get these new tests?
cambridgelsat.com or any large chain bookstore

Oblivion_08

Bronze

Post by Oblivion_08 » Sun May 30, 2010 8:50 pm

So I just took Prep test A from the Superprep book. I did a lot better
12/25 (meh)
18/27(=)))))))) )
14/24(I got confused by one game I didn't triage correctly, I usually miss 5-6 on logic games)
17/25
61/101 which is much better than my 55/101 i got before this..

what should be my next steps??

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

confusedlawyer

Bronze

Post by confusedlawyer » Sun May 30, 2010 8:57 pm

Oblivion_08 wrote:So I just took Prep test A from the Superprep book. I did a lot better
12/25 (meh)
18/27(=)))))))) )
14/24(I got confused by one game I didn't triage correctly, I usually miss 5-6 on logic games)
17/25
61/101 which is much better than my 55/101 i got before this..

what should be my next steps??
If you struggled on the LG from preptest A, wait till you see B. I got perfect on LG for Preptest A and got 8 wrong on Preptest B because I completely ran out of time (it is an abolutely rediculous section believe me). Superprep is known to have some of the most difficult games LSAC has ever administered.

Your next step, review the mistakes, not just which you got wrong, WHY you got wrong. The superprep is useful because it gets you thinking like those who made the test. Why A is right and BCDE are wrong. Trust me you will see an improvement when you write B (except LG, I guarantee you will come back with 8/23 lol)

Oblivion_08

Bronze

Post by Oblivion_08 » Sun May 30, 2010 8:59 pm

Let's see I challenge you to that one! LOL i usually do really well on it, but let's see on the next one. I can't believe I owned the RC. I've done 12 RC sections int he past 2 days out of my Kaplan Mastery book, guess it helped A LOT

confusedlawyer

Bronze

Post by confusedlawyer » Sun May 30, 2010 9:05 pm

Oblivion_08 wrote:Let's see I challenge you to that one! LOL i usually do really well on it, but let's see on the next one. I can't believe I owned the RC. I've done 12 RC sections int he past 2 days out of my Kaplan Mastery book, guess it helped A LOT
I'm glad you improved! Just a side not about RC though, RC over the past few years has become REDICULOUS. Trust me. Any RC's from the 50+ you will be pulling your hair out. It is the general consensus as well that this is true this is not me saying it.

And about the prep B, I want you to do well, but trust me on this one, this was the hardest combination of 4 logic games I have ever done (Ive done about 200 logic games). And this is coming from someone who eats LG for breakfast

Oblivion_08

Bronze

Post by Oblivion_08 » Sun May 30, 2010 9:09 pm

Man, I'll be taking a PT on Tuesday, and I will probably tackle PrepTestB on Wed.

I know RC's have gotten harder, but going from scoring 9/27 to 18/27 and after practicing..it could be because it was "easier" I guess, but I know i've improved big time.

I also heard LG has gotten easier, is that true?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”