Should I buy powerscore bible books if I am in the class? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
faexylona

New

Should I buy powerscore bible books if I am in the class?

Post by faexylona » Fri May 28, 2010 1:24 pm

Hello,

Throughout my research, I have read about how amazing the powerscore bible books are. This summer I will be taking one of their online prep classes. I have received their course texts. Truthfully, I expected the bibles. My question is should I buy the bible books. I do not care about the money. I have saved enough, but I am hesitant because will it be worth it? Any advice would be appreciated especially from individuals who have been in my situation. Thank you.

jamesieee

New

Re: Should I buy powerscore bible books if I am in the class?

Post by jamesieee » Fri May 28, 2010 1:30 pm

Yes. The Bibles teach you so much more than the course.

SleekFire

Bronze

Post by SleekFire » Fri May 28, 2010 1:32 pm

Yes

enigma09

New

Post by enigma09 » Fri May 28, 2010 3:21 pm

It's hard for me to say, because I don't know how similar their course materials are to the bibles. Honestly, though, I'd wait if I were you. I have read the LGB and am currently reading the LRB. Both have been helpful for sure, but I didn't think the LGB was the be-all, end-all logic game solution that I'd heard it was. There's no question that it helped my performance, but I'm still not going -0 or -1 in LG sections like I (perhaps foolishly) expected. It seems to me that a lot of independent practice and repetition is necessary to truly master that section, and you may very well get that with the actual course.

So, I'd say to hold off until after the course and if you still aren't satisfied with your standing in LR or LG (or even RC), then buy the corresponding bibles.

HiLine

Bronze

Post by HiLine » Fri May 28, 2010 5:33 pm

Every material in the bible books is included in the course books. So no, the former won't teach you anything that the latter cannot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ecrew

New

Post by ecrew » Fri May 28, 2010 6:15 pm

NO, the people who answered yes, obviously never took the course. I am in my last week of a NYC Powerscore course. Every single word in the bibles is in the course books. I asked this specific question to Powerscore themselves. They replied by saying, the virtual course and class course contain the bibles inside of the materials. If for some reason you do not believe me, go to their website and ask this question in the chat window. Even if you have the 150 dollars burning a whole in your pocket, do not buy the bibles. Use it on a night out. You will be better off. I challenge someone to find even one thing that is not in the course, that is in the bibles. Remember they might not know about the online materials provided in the course.

HiLine

Bronze

Post by HiLine » Fri May 28, 2010 6:30 pm

ecrew wrote:NO, the people who answered yes, obviously never took the course. I am in my last week of a NYC Powerscore course. Every single word in the bibles is in the course books. I asked this specific question to Powerscore themselves. They replied by saying, the virtual course and class course contain the bibles inside of the materials. If for some reason you do not believe me, go to their website and ask this question in the chat window. Even if you have the 150 dollars burning a whole in your pocket, do not buy the bibles. Use it on a night out. You will be better off. I challenge someone to find even one thing that is not in the course, that is in the bibles. Remember they might not know about the online materials provided in the course.
This is the credited response.

jamesieee

New

Post by jamesieee » Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 pm

ecrew wrote:NO, the people who answered yes, obviously never took the course. I am in my last week of a NYC Powerscore course. Every single word in the bibles is in the course books. I asked this specific question to Powerscore themselves. They replied by saying, the virtual course and class course contain the bibles inside of the materials. If for some reason you do not believe me, go to their website and ask this question in the chat window. Even if you have the 150 dollars burning a whole in your pocket, do not buy the bibles. Use it on a night out. You will be better off. I challenge someone to find even one thing that is not in the course, that is in the bibles. Remember they might not know about the online materials provided in the course.
I did in fact take the PowerScore course. I'm not about to dig up my Bibles and course materials just to debate you on this point (although from what I remember, the Bibles had more in-depth explanations than the course materials), but even if they did have the exact same content, I would argue that the Bibles are superior. The truth is, if you're like most students, you probably won't go through all of PowerScore's course books because you aren't going to do all of the homework. When you miss the homework, you miss the lesson behind the homework. The compactness of the Bibles makes it much easier for people to just sit down and blast through the materials from cover to cover. As for the classes themselves, if you plan to rely solely or mainly on class time to get you to the score you want, you will be disappointed.

It's ridiculous to say that you're better off spending $150 on a night out than on the Bibles. A two-point improvement could change your life. If you think you're being smart by begrudging a bit of pocket cash or a few hours, then you don't understand the gravity of this test.

HiLine

Bronze

Post by HiLine » Fri May 28, 2010 11:57 pm

jamesieee wrote:
When you miss the homework, you miss the lesson behind the homework. The compactness of the Bibles makes it much easier for people to just sit down and blast through the materials from cover to cover. As for the classes themselves, if you plan to rely solely or mainly on class time to get you to the score you want, you will be disappointed.
If you do not supplement your Bible study with practice questions, you also miss the lessons in the books. By taking the course, you are provided with the course books so that you can study the material on your own in case you miss lessons. You already have a hard copy of the Bibles' material and I don't see why you have to spend money on purchasing the exact same material again.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jamesieee

New

Post by jamesieee » Sat May 29, 2010 3:45 am

HiLine wrote:
jamesieee wrote:
When you miss the homework, you miss the lesson behind the homework. The compactness of the Bibles makes it much easier for people to just sit down and blast through the materials from cover to cover. As for the classes themselves, if you plan to rely solely or mainly on class time to get you to the score you want, you will be disappointed.
If you do not supplement your Bible study with practice questions, you also miss the lessons in the books. By taking the course, you are provided with the course books so that you can study the material on your own in case you miss lessons. You already have a hard copy of the Bibles' material and I don't see why you have to spend money on purchasing the exact same material again.
Like I said, it's a matter of presentation. All of the information you need is packed succinctly in the Bibles. With the course materials, it's spread out in four (or five, I can't remember) books plus online. It seems to me that focused and efficient studying is discouraged by the scatteredness and the sheer volume of the course materials and encouraged by the compactness of the Bibles. This has generally been true of the people I've come across in real life. I don't know anyone in my class who went through all of the course materials. I do know most people who studied the Bibles had no problems going through the entire thing.

Either way, I would rather waste $150 ($100, actually, since I don't recommend the RC Bible) and a week of my time than wonder whether the books could've helped me after it's too late.

HiLine

Bronze

Post by HiLine » Sat May 29, 2010 11:11 am

jamesieee wrote: Like I said, it's a matter of presentation. All of the information you need is packed succinctly in the Bibles. With the course materials, it's spread out in four (or five, I can't remember) books plus online. It seems to me that focused and efficient studying is discouraged by the scatteredness and the sheer volume of the course materials and encouraged by the compactness of the Bibles. This has generally been true of the people I've come across in real life. I don't know anyone in my class who went through all of the course materials. I do know most people who studied the Bibles had no problems going through the entire thing.

Either way, I would rather waste $150 ($100, actually, since I don't recommend the RC Bible) and a week of my time than wonder whether the books could've helped me after it's too late.
Do you know people who, despite having taken a Powerscore course, still went through the whole Bibles? It is possible that people who are lazy enough to waste their time during the course are too lazy to complete the lessons in the Bibles. Students who do not mind spending their time on reading through the Bibles on the other hand are likely to complete the lessons in the course as well. Once you have the course materials in hand, any money spent on purchasing the slightly abridged version of the materials is wasted.

jamesieee

New

Post by jamesieee » Sat May 29, 2010 1:53 pm

You could be right about the lazy people taking the course and the diligent people using the Bibles, but I believe you have the cause and effect flipped. Spending $1,000+ for a course gives many people the illusion that just showing up to class and doing some homework will teach them everything. That's not laziness - that's just human nature.

Is it possible that you are the exception in your class who will actually thoroughly study your course materials? Yes. Would you want to take the risk to find out? I would argue no. I'm not promoting some obscure, unproven materials that will cost you a fortune - these are the two books most often cited by those who do well on the LSAT, and you can get your hands on them for the price of two tanks of gas. Could they end up not helping you? Yes. Again, would you want to take the risk? Unless you're living hand-to-mouth, the simplest cost-benefit analysis could tell you the answer is no.

I did both the Bibles and the course. I will admit that I did the Bibles first so I may be biased, but I really, truly believe that all else being equal, the Bibles are superior studying tools.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”