Ugh, help! - PT 50, LR1 (Section 2), #20 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
bartleby

Silver

Ugh, help! - PT 50, LR1 (Section 2), #20

Post by bartleby » Wed May 26, 2010 3:10 pm

I did that method where you do the PT timed and then do it again untimed and then check answers. This is the only one I missed twice for LR.

I picked E both times. I understand that a conclusion is found in the "This is unfounded" line but then I don't understand how the first sentence plays into the argument at all. My reasoning for picking E both times, which obviously is wrong, was I thought the conclusion was an intermediate conclusion because only the sentences before it and after it support it.

Then the question stem kinda threw me off because it added an "as a whole" at the end. Is that normal?

After seeing that C was the right answer, I want to make sure I don't miss any gimmes on the real thing. Can someone tell me how the first sentence plays into the argument?

HiLine

Bronze

Re: Ugh, help! - PT 50, LR1 (Section 2), #20

Post by HiLine » Wed May 26, 2010 4:09 pm

The first sentence introduces the context of the strategy. The rest of the stimulus rejects one worry about the strategy; hence answer choice C is correct. However, there could be other concerns about the strategy that the stimulus does not identify and that could leave the strategy unconsidered. That one of the concerns about a strategy is unfounded is not enough evidence to qualify that strategy.

Hope that helps.

bartleby

Silver

Re: Ugh, help! - PT 50, LR1 (Section 2), #20

Post by bartleby » Wed May 26, 2010 7:29 pm

Yeah, I looked over LRB section on main ideas and I guess I forgot about the Fact Check part. I think this was a combination of over thinking a #20 and also getting a little thrown off on the wording in the question stem.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”