October Test Takers Prep starts HERE Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
TMT90

New

Re: October Test Takers Prep starts HERE

Post by TMT90 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:17 pm

Hey everyone, so as of right now i'm focusing exclusively on the LGB and the corresponding question types per chapter before I move on to the LRB and do the same with those chapters and question types. I took my first diagnostic two weeks ago and have not taken another since - so at what point should I start taking full PTs? I obviously don't want to rush myself just so that I can start recording scores, so what is the recommended time frame? If it helps I started prepping a week ago once all my materials arrived in the mail, took a cold diagnostic two weeks ago (157).

Dave

New

Post by Dave » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:19 pm

I've decided to just stop studying and take a testmasters course starting July 12th, and see how disciplined I can be with it.

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:59 pm

brickman wrote:
DavidYurman85 wrote:at what point does everyone plan on taking timed practice tests?
Was curious about this as well. I'm trying to figure out what would be a good rate. I think we have 16 or so weeks left and I was considering doing pt 29-60 (maybe some of the older ones as well) and it is looking like 2 a week if I were to start now. Obviously I'm not ready to start, I've not gone through the LRB yet, but once that is over, which should take another 3 weeks or so, I'll probably start ratcheting up to 1 every other day or so and then full day of review every sunday on that weeks pt's
I'm planning on spending the next two months going through the LGB, LRB, & RCB & doing all the games/questions by type & the RC sections from tests 7-38 (all the tests in the next 10 series) + 40 & then doing tests 41-60 during August & September. It works out to one every three days during those last two months - not too bad. Going through so many games/questions/sections by type has helped me so, so much already.

I've also started studying for RC & my score improved so much after I just sat down & did about 5-6 sections in a row for a few days. Tedious, but it has helped me improve my concentration & hone in on what the questions were going to ask since they are often so predictable after doing so many sections.

Also, if anyone wants the kaplan explanations for tests 1-56, PM me your e-mail address! Someone in another thread e-mailed them to me & they have been pretty helpful for LR & RC. Kaplan doesn't use the same diagramming methods as powerscore, so I haven't used it for LG much.

Dave

New

Post by Dave » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:27 pm

Yea I downloaded every test 1-45 and explanations 1-56. Although I don't have tests 46-56.

hennenr

New

Post by hennenr » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:36 pm

Where did you download those from? If you don't mind me asking.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

surfermikedude

New

Post by surfermikedude » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:36 pm

Yes I would also like to know the answer to the above question.

I recently took Superprep A and scored a 167 cold. Anyone know what the differences are in difficulty between it and the more recent tests?

Thanks.

dmorgan379

New

Post by dmorgan379 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:19 pm

What up guys and girls, long time lurker retaking the LSAT in Oct. and hoping for 170+. First time was rough and now I am cracking down with my time and taking a more serious approach and am going to try the pithypike method (good user reviews). Goodluck to all.

Background:
Graduated in Dec 09 with two UG degrees

Biggest Strengths: LR
Biggest Weakness: LG

target: 170+

eastcoaster18

New

Post by eastcoaster18 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:23 pm

I am on board for October as well....decided to skip Junes test because I felt unprepared.

Could we maybe share questions we have while preparing for the tests here as well? As I have taken prep tests there is always this ONE question I can't seem to understand why the answer choice does not click for me....today its question #6 section 2 test #34

good luck all!

EthanMcleod

New

Post by EthanMcleod » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:46 am

Starting out again for October:

Took Testmasters course for June '10, got 167 on my last PT before the actual test. Scored 100%'s on all my LG Sections on the past 10 I had done. Get into the actual test, felt good on first two sections (RC and LR), got to LG and freaked out and started panicking for some reason and really screwed up and canceled at the break. Going to work for the next few months and try and get into the 170's to make up for it....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CA_Harry

New

Post by CA_Harry » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:31 pm

Hi Guys,

I just finished the LG Bible and all the questions included in the bible. Obviously, I need to keep cranking out questions, so do I go straight to purchasing the old exams or is there another source of questions?

Thanks

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:03 pm

The old exams (PrepTests) are your best source of questions since they are all real questions written by LSAC. For now, I'd recommend working out of the Next 10 Actual, Official book (containing 29-38) as well as the 10 More Actual... (containing 19-28) if you have the time. You may even want to use the first book of 10 (10 Actual) if you want to work through the majority of exams.

You'll probably want to save most of the newest individual exams to complete as full-length timed tests closer to Test Day.

CA_Harry

New

Post by CA_Harry » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:58 pm

Thanks! Where can I purchase those? Amazon?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:19 pm

Just started my studying this week. Shooting for 170+. I go to a top 15 private university with a 3.7ish gpa. And on my very first diagnostic (with no studying or previous practice tests) I scored a 160. Hoping to get that 10+ point jump.

Strength = Reading Comprehension 90% right on first diagnostic and only 1 missed on ACT in high school

Weakness = Logic Games, only 50% right on diagnostic, really had trouble with the time.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:07 pm

CA_Harry wrote:Thanks! Where can I purchase those? Amazon?
Yep. They've got 'em. Click on my profile to see a link to my schedules with recs on how to use them.

Ari Goldsen

New

Post by Ari Goldsen » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:32 pm

Powerscore online class starts today....excited and ready to roll. Three hours a day until test time is the plan.
About to be a junior, taking the test a little early so that I can guiltlessly study abroad. Cold diagnostic was a 158 timed, can I shoot for a 172?? I'm going to...

Canarsie

Bronze

Post by Canarsie » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:27 pm

Is anyone having trouble staying motivated? I have a problem with procrastination... For a while I was able to study LG in the morning but now I find myself wanting to but finding other things to do... like TLS, watching crappy tv, even cleaning my room (the one good thing haha).

I want to do well and even enjoy LG and other components of the test once I start to get focused.

What do you do to focus? Drive to the library, white noise, etc. I need help :(

P.S. I know it sound stupid to ask this here and I'm going to solicit a lot of "JUST TURN OFF THE PHONE AND GO TO THE LIBRARY" answers. And yes that's a solution, like the others. I'm just wondering if anyone else is having my problem and how they've rectified it (if at all).

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:43 pm

"JUST TURN OFF THE PHONE AND GO TO THE LIBRARY" :)

Also:

Set aside specific times of day to study.

Do your studying out of the house.

Don't bring a laptop.

Don't even bring your phone (or just turn it off, for realz). Libraries have clocks, or you can bring a watch if necessary.

Eat before you leave, so that you'll be able to spend as much time there as possible.

Bring earplugs, or get an mp3 of white noise and loop it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TMT90

New

Post by TMT90 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:08 pm

ashnicole wrote:Is anyone having trouble staying motivated? I have a problem with procrastination... For a while I was able to study LG in the morning but now I find myself wanting to but finding other things to do... like TLS, watching crappy tv, even cleaning my room (the one good thing haha).

I want to do well and even enjoy LG and other components of the test once I start to get focused.

What do you do to focus? Drive to the library, white noise, etc. I need help :(

P.S. I know it sound stupid to ask this here and I'm going to solicit a lot of "JUST TURN OFF THE PHONE AND GO TO THE LIBRARY" answers. And yes that's a solution, like the others. I'm just wondering if anyone else is having my problem and how they've rectified it (if at all).
I have this problem too yet I have been studying every single day for hours at a time. How? I just do it. Even when I feel like I can barely crawl out of bed, I force myself to get up and out of my bedroom and I start a LG. It gets me out of my funk and in the zone for more LGs and after a few hours I have completed and reviewed 4-5 LGs. Studying in my room is a big no since I don't have a desk and the only place to sit is on my bed, so if you have the same problem I also suggest you get out of your room and possibly your house.

Another idea (if you're really desperate) is to ask someone to drop you off at the library and have them come back in a few hours or so. That way you are trapped at the library and you force yourself to study.

speechie

New

Post by speechie » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:30 pm

I had a serious problem sitting down hours at a time and actually working on lsat stuff. I started bringing my prep material to work though and suddenly I've found lots of time to study instead of doing the work I'm getting paid for. :wink:

brickman

Bronze

Post by brickman » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:37 pm

Don't even think of not doing it as an option, just view it as something that is a necessary part of the day. Further, sitting down and studying will help keep your near-boiling anxiety under control by being able to constantly reassure yourself that you are doing everything within your power to do well on the test.

Have your plan, have your time, have your material prepared and do it.

Don't forget to focus when you are studying, zoning out, even though you are "at" the library, means that you aren't actually doing the studying, so catch yourself if you find that you are wandering. Keep asking yourself questions about the material to keep yourself focused.

lamentable

New

Post by lamentable » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:15 pm

I'll join up...

Took the LSAT a few Octobers ago, thought I'd try it again. I've forgotten all of the problems, though, which means everything is fresh. For everyone who is studying for October, how long are you studying per day? I'm on a plan that has me studying four hours a day, Monday-Saturday. Is that on track with everyone else?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:17 pm

Damn 4 hours a day? Maybe this is why I got a 153.... I was hoping 1-2 hours a day would be enough.

Scallywaggums

Bronze

Post by Scallywaggums » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:20 pm

Dave wrote:Yea I downloaded every test 1-45 and explanations 1-56. Although I don't have tests 46-56.
Not the first to ask: where from?

TMT90

New

Post by TMT90 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:38 pm

lamentable wrote:I'll join up...

Took the LSAT a few Octobers ago, thought I'd try it again. I've forgotten all of the problems, though, which means everything is fresh. For everyone who is studying for October, how long are you studying per day? I'm on a plan that has me studying four hours a day, Monday-Saturday. Is that on track with everyone else?
I haven't officially timed myself, but i've been reading the LGB and doing the corresponding games to each chapter in PTs 29-38 while the tips of that chapter are fresh in my mind for a particular game type. Doing this off-and-on all day every day i'd say i'm also spending about 4 hours, give or take depending on if I have to do something else that day. I've been noticing though that I get super panicked when something comes up where I can't study at all.

Canarsie

Bronze

Post by Canarsie » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:45 pm

Scallywaggums wrote:
Dave wrote:Yea I downloaded every test 1-45 and explanations 1-56. Although I don't have tests 46-56.
Not the first to ask: where from?
There are preptests and other materials available as torrents on various websites on the internet. A viable option for some, perhaps, but keep in mind that it is illegal (same as music, movies, etc.).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”