How do you get motivated? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
usna02

New

How do you get motivated?

Post by usna02 » Sun May 23, 2010 10:33 pm

I am wondering how everyone is getting motivated for their LSAT Prep? Especially since this test can be so terribly boring and tedious at times.

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Re: How do you get motivated...???

Post by KibblesAndVick » Sun May 23, 2010 10:52 pm

More than any other individual factor the LSAT will determine what law schools you're accepted into and how much debt you will have after graduation. Just think about what the test will mean for your future.

Beyond that I found it helpful to think of the LSAT as a competition that I wanted to win. I wanted to do better than the kid sitting next to me in the testing center. I wanted to do better than the kids in my political science classes that go on and on about nothing. I wanted to do better than my friends. The implications for my future provided a practical motivation but mentally I wanted to be the best. But, in order to be better you have to work harder. You have to want it more. You really have to embrace the test. Don't think of it as a hurdle you have to find a way over. Think of it as something you have to master.

Smaller things you might try include personal rewards/punishments. Buy yourself something nice if you hit a target score on a PT or tell your s.o. to hold out on you if you score below some level. Stuff like this is always inferior though because you don't actually want to study. You're just moving towards the carrot or avoiding the stick. Try to make the test important in its own right as best you can.

Maddie

New

Re: How do you get motivated?

Post by Maddie » Sun May 23, 2010 11:07 pm

To be completely honest I think about how I don't want to be $100,000 in debt. Then I think about how great it will feel next year to be getting scholarship offers!

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Sun May 23, 2010 11:35 pm

By knowing that I have a sub-par GPA that I will have to make up for with my LSAT score. And by knowing that my brother made a 180 on this fucking test, so anything less than perfect will be not as good.

afa_brandon

New

Post by afa_brandon » Sun May 23, 2010 11:37 pm

Marionberry wrote:By knowing that I have a sub-par GPA that I will have to make up for with my LSAT score.
+1

I feel like the LSAT is a backdoor into tier 1 schools for sub-par GPAs. almost like cheating, except really really hard

and if usna stands for what i think, then it's kind of nice to be able to compete with schools with grade inflation in a game that's almost strictly about #s. let's face it, nothing about the service academies is law school friendly :/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

usna02

New

Post by usna02 » Mon May 24, 2010 2:05 pm

that's really great motivation for sure
Marionberry wrote:And by knowing that my brother made a 180 on this fucking test, so anything less than perfect will be not as good.

usna02

New

Post by usna02 » Mon May 24, 2010 2:07 pm

+1
Maddie wrote:To be completely honest I think about how I don't want to be $100,000 in debt. Then I think about how great it will feel next year to be getting scholarship offers!

lebob

New

Post by lebob » Mon May 24, 2010 2:16 pm

think about being shut out of the t14

that should motivate you

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”