What's the highest LSAT score increase you've had/seen? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
KingJames6

New

Re: What's the highest LSAT score increase you've had/seen?

Post by KingJames6 » Thu May 20, 2010 12:39 pm

Ok so the question that would logically follow for anyone with a huge improvement...how much time did you spend studying? Hours/day for how many months? Also any suggested study materials (Bibles, a course, etc.)?

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Thu May 20, 2010 12:46 pm

KingJames6 wrote:Ok so the question that would logically follow for anyone with a huge improvement...how much time did you spend studying? Hours/day for how many months? Also any suggested study materials (Bibles, a course, etc.)?
INb4 someone says "oh I didn't study for my improvement at all, just walked in and took it. The first time I was drunk..." :lol:

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Thu May 20, 2010 1:04 pm

I was on the lower end as far as time spent, because I was doing 2-3 hours a day for a little under 2 months (but 6-7 days a week). I had Cracking the LSAT for technique (which I re-read a couple of time) and a bunch of released tests (basically, the most recent 10 Actuals and a few tests after that, which at the time — four years ago — were among the most recent).

But I was already an SAT teacher for Princeton Review, and I knew how to study for a standardized test. I didn't make the same mistakes twice. That's the most crucial thing: always improve from one sitting to the next by doing something slightly different or focusing on something new every time.

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Thu May 20, 2010 1:51 pm

tomwatts wrote:I was on the lower end as far as time spent, because I was doing 2-3 hours a day for a little under 2 months (but 6-7 days a week). I had Cracking the LSAT for technique (which I re-read a couple of time) and a bunch of released tests (basically, the most recent 10 Actuals and a few tests after that, which at the time — four years ago — were among the most recent).

But I was already an SAT teacher for Princeton Review, and I knew how to study for a standardized test. I didn't make the same mistakes twice. That's the most crucial thing: always improve from one sitting to the next by doing something slightly different or focusing on something new every time.
Examples of something new?

i need to study

New

Post by i need to study » Thu May 20, 2010 2:03 pm

Diag: 149
LSAT 1: 160
LSAT II: 170

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Merr

Bronze

Post by Merr » Thu May 20, 2010 2:12 pm

I had a 15pt increase, so rather modest compared to much of what has been posted.

Diagnostic 148
Real thing 163

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Thu May 20, 2010 4:16 pm

Merr wrote:I had a 15pt increase, so rather modest compared to much of what has been posted.

Diagnostic 148
Real thing 163
That's not modest, that's good man.

Especially considering the fact that I've read some crap LSAT books before that hint at the fact that you should just accept your score because it's generally consistent. Major crap. The LSAT is a test of how well you can take the LSAT, and IMHO nothing more. :roll:

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Thu May 20, 2010 11:55 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:
tomwatts wrote:I was on the lower end as far as time spent, because I was doing 2-3 hours a day for a little under 2 months (but 6-7 days a week). I had Cracking the LSAT for technique (which I re-read a couple of time) and a bunch of released tests (basically, the most recent 10 Actuals and a few tests after that, which at the time — four years ago — were among the most recent).

"In this section, I chose an answer that said 'always' on an Inference question, but it was stronger than what I was told; I was only told that this was true 'most of the time.' I'm going to pay attention to language strength more on Inference questions on the next section."

"In this section, a bunch of my time got sucked up diagramming things weirdly on a Parallel question when it turned out that the wrong answers weren't even close. Next time, I'm going to try eliminating answers that have terribly dissimilar conclusions first on Parallel questions and see if that saves me some time so that I only have to draw things out for a couple of answer choices, not all five."

"I didn't recognize that this game should be set up as an In/Out game. I made it way weirder than it needed to be. I'm going to ask myself if I'm dealing with an In/Out game if I feel inclined to draw a strange-looking diagram on my next few sections."

That kind of thing.

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Fri May 21, 2010 10:28 am

tomwatts wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:

"In this section, I chose an answer that said 'always' on an Inference question, but it was stronger than what I was told; I was only told that this was true 'most of the time.' I'm going to pay attention to language strength more on Inference questions on the next section."

"In this section, a bunch of my time got sucked up diagramming things weirdly on a Parallel question when it turned out that the wrong answers weren't even close. Next time, I'm going to try eliminating answers that have terribly dissimilar conclusions first on Parallel questions and see if that saves me some time so that I only have to draw things out for a couple of answer choices, not all five."

"I didn't recognize that this game should be set up as an In/Out game. I made it way weirder than it needed to be. I'm going to ask myself if I'm dealing with an In/Out game if I feel inclined to draw a strange-looking diagram on my next few sections."

That kind of thing.
Sounds good. Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stintez

Bronze

Post by stintez » Fri May 21, 2010 10:35 am

i need to study wrote:Diag: 149
LSAT 1: 160
LSAT II: 170
what did you do differently between lsat I and lsat II

lawduder

Bronze

Post by lawduder » Fri May 21, 2010 10:36 am

diagnostic - 146
final score - 167

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Fri May 21, 2010 6:31 pm

^^Niiiiiice....^^

risktaker

Silver

Post by risktaker » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:12 pm

These threads make me realize that I had a pretty decent jump from diagnostic. I thought I could pass it but pretty much hit a wall. Went from diag of 140 to 157 on the LSAT. I was scoring in the low 160s towards the end, but I ended up getting a 157 4 times! Guess that shows you that sometimes you just hit a wall. I think nerves always player a factor on the real test. Could not help it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rezbama

New

Post by rezbama » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:10 am

toolshed wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:
toolshed wrote:Powerscore's greatest documented increase is 29 points (From a 140 diagnostic to a 169 on the test, or something close to that). The person hit in the 170s on their last prep test before the real thing.

I don't know this guy personally, but I am a Powerscore instructor. I see 15-20 point increases fairly often in my classes.
Heck, I'd take a 15-20 increase on the real test for sure. :)

You guys ever get people that are Raw in the 170's (on their first ever diagnostic?) If so, do you pretty much shiat bricks and think "you little bastard, you're going to a T14...) :lol:
No, I think the highest diagnostic in my classes was a 156 or so. I actually tend to feel bad for those people, because gains come much harder for them. If you diagnose at a 130, learning just a few basic concepts can make your score jump dramatically. People who diagnose high have to take the time to learn the nuances of the test, and it tends to be fairly frustrating for them.

I did have someone come in and miss 0-1 in logic games of the bat with no previous exposure, which was pretty surprising. Just had a natural aptitude for it. However, he would miss 10-15 in the RC, and had a real difficult time improving.
that sounds like someone like me, how did they end up improving RC?

youarereadingthis

New

Post by youarereadingthis » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:11 pm

Diagnostic: 148
Real LSAT I: 164
Real LSAT II: (Forthcoming in June)

I definitely did much better on the test day than my first pt exam, but I still feel like I could do better. I was working long hours and never took enough time to study. Now, I'm completely focused without any interruptions.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”