Need help with--- Multi-dimensional matching games Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
dashank

New

Need help with--- Multi-dimensional matching games

Post by dashank » Tue May 18, 2010 10:36 am

Title specific enough? Well these game types are giving me problems. Im having trouble trying to organize the clues into a diagram. Two examples: 1. pt 55 4th game (quest 19-23)
2. pt 57 3rd game (quest 12-17)

If someone can help construct these diagrams and/or also a methodology on how to diagram these types of matching games (Multi-dimensional) I would be a great help.

For those of you who may not have those pt (55 & 57) or call these games multi-dimensional here's a quick definition of the difference between the two and multi-dimensional games.

The difference between the two is in the number of available attributes per entity. For example, if you are trying to match three cars to three possible colors, but only one color per car, you’re dealing with the simpler two-dimensional variety of matching game. If, in addition to color, you also have to determine which cars are automatic and which are manual, you’ve gone beyond simple two-dimensional games and are into the more difficult multi-dimensional games.

Please help and thanks in advance

Bert

Bronze

Re: Need help with--- Multi-dimensional matching games

Post by Bert » Tue May 18, 2010 10:42 am

I don't have any test materials available to me as I purged everything after taking the LSAT, but why can't your set up be:

Car 1: [color] [transmission]
Car 2: [color] [transmission]
Car 3: [color] [transmission]

I still think this is a two dimensional game, just with more options (i.e. each [color] could be any color, and the same with each [transmission]).

WWAD

Bronze

Re: Need help with--- Multi-dimensional matching games

Post by WWAD » Tue May 18, 2010 10:46 am

dashank wrote:Title specific enough? Well these game types are giving me problems. Im having trouble trying to organize the clues into a diagram. Two examples: 1. pt 55 4th game (quest 19-23)
2. pt 57 3rd game (quest 12-17)

If someone can help construct these diagrams and/or also a methodology on how to diagram these types of matching games (Multi-dimensional) I would be a great help.

For those of you who may not have those pt (55 & 57) or call these games multi-dimensional here's a quick definition of the difference between the two and multi-dimensional games.

The difference between the two is in the number of available attributes per entity. For example, if you are trying to match three cars to three possible colors, but only one color per car, you’re dealing with the simpler two-dimensional variety of matching game. If, in addition to color, you also have to determine which cars are automatic and which are manual, you’ve gone beyond simple two-dimensional games and are into the more difficult multi-dimensional games.

Please help and thanks in advance
I always just make 3 tiers. Sometimes you really just have two tiers because the base might be the cars. Usually it seems harder until you get to the rules. The rules usually make it easier. If they don't then you have to get ready to do the set up for each question.

A/M: _ _ _
Colors: _ _ _
Cars: _ _ _

What he^ said

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”