Reading Comprehension method/symbols Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
forward

Bronze

Reading Comprehension method/symbols

Post by forward » Sat May 15, 2010 1:21 am

Last edited by forward on Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

srpaik

New

Re: Reading Comprehension method/symbols

Post by srpaik » Sat May 15, 2010 4:49 am

forward21 wrote:Does anyone have a particularly effective method of attacking RC?

Along the same lines, has anyone developed a useful set of symbols to markup the key aspects of the text with minimal writing (such as a ! for author's view, etc)?

Any resources/help are much appreciated!
I've been doing PTs and so far have done about 35 of them. Now just by reading the passage I think I can guess what kind of questoins are going to come out, or at least which part of the passage is going to be related to the questions.

Here's what I do for RC:
0. Get a highlighter. HIghlighters are allowed for the exam. Use orange, not yellow.
1. Circle all the people (critics, historians, some scientists, etc.)
2. Circle all the transitional words (however, but, also, moreover, etc.)
3. Along the empty spaces to the right of the passage, whenever I see what author is trying to say, I write out "A" and underline that part.
4. Whenever critics, or whoever's ideas are there, underline and on the right of the passage, write "C" for critics, "H" for historians, and whatever for names. ("R" for Richard, and so on).
5. Skip all the examples to save time, and just write out "EX" to the right of it, and underline what the example is about, just in case a question comes up about it.

I'm not so good at RC myself, getting 3~5 wrongs per section. But prior to using this marking strategy, I was getting at least 8 wrongs. Guess this works at least for me :P

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Sat May 15, 2010 11:47 pm

forward21 wrote:Does anyone have a particularly effective method of attacking RC?

Along the same lines, has anyone developed a useful set of symbols to markup the key aspects of the text with minimal writing (such as a ! for author's view, etc)?

Any resources/help are much appreciated!
I wrote this 3 years ago:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... f=6&t=7240

rodewan

Bronze

Post by rodewan » Sun May 16, 2010 11:44 pm

I love voyagers RC guide! though im also retaking the lsat and def need to improve big in this section

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”