When should I take my final? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Knock

Platinum

When should I take my final?

Post by Knock » Wed May 12, 2010 2:45 am

My options are June 2nd or June 11th. Edit: It's a completely objective multiple choice final, and it's worth 50% of the grade. I have one other "final" which is basically a show up and sit around for 5 hours for one of my other classes, on Friday June 4th until late at night (9-10 pm).

I'm taking the final at a location about 90 minutes from school, and 45 minutes from home. So my tenative game plan was to go home either late Friday night, or Saturday morning, relax, enjoy some home-cooking, and rest up for the LSAT on Monday. Then i'd either get a hotel room on Sunday or just drive up on Monday (i'm not really a morning person, so it might be worth it to me to stay up there, and I wouldn't have that added stress of worrying about making there on time, having to wake up earlier, etc.).

So I can either take the Final on June 2nd, which means i'm going to have to study for the LSAT and the final concurrently. Luckily, my biggest extracurricular is finished up this weekend, and my internship will probably be winding down/finishing up at that point, so i'll have a little bit more free time on my hands.

Or I can take the LSAT on June 7th, drive back up to school, study Tuesday-Thursday, and then take the final on Friday.

What do you guys think? Can I get some opinions?
Last edited by Knock on Wed May 12, 2010 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

RockyLovesEmily

New

Re: When should I take my final?

Post by RockyLovesEmily » Wed May 12, 2010 2:51 am

People who take finals earlier tend to get better grades. This is probably due to self-selection, the level of preparedness and confidence of the student, but this effect will rub off on your grade if this is an essay final.

As for the LSAT, you should be pretty much done studying for that by late May. Give yourself about a week off before taking the test.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed May 12, 2010 2:54 am

RockyLovesEmily wrote:People who take finals earlier tend to get better grades. This is probably due to self-selection, the level of preparedness and confidence of the student, but this effect will rub off on your grade if this is an essay final.

As for the LSAT, you should be pretty much done studying for that by late May. Give yourself about a week off before taking the test.
It's a completely objective final, and it's worth 50% of the grade. I'll edit my original post and put this info in it.

You really think I should take a whole week off before the test? I was planning on taking a PT on M, T, W, T, break Friday, S, break sunday, real day Monday. I'm used to taking at least 4 PT's a week.

cylusr

New

Post by cylusr » Wed May 12, 2010 2:57 am

Hotel room, huh? You shouldn't be studying before LSAT, however while staying in the hotel room I can think of a lot of things you could be doing. If you get a room be sure to utilize it as you see fit. There are certain things that can be productive efforts the day before the LSAT.

RockyLovesEmily

New

Post by RockyLovesEmily » Wed May 12, 2010 3:04 am

The amount of break is debatable and certainly depends on your situation. You do that much prep in the week before your test and you'll find yourself disgusted by the material. Come test day, you'll be rushing yourself to get through just so you don't have to look at it anymore.

That said, if you started studying two weeks before the test, you need as much exposure to the material as possible. But if you started studying three or four months ago like you should have, then you won't benefit much from doing 5 PTs the week before the test and you'll likely hurt yourself.

As for your final, I'd take it later if it's multiple choice. Gives you more time to prepare post-LSAT, allows you to mentally relax pre-LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”