How high of a score is too high to retake? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
smashedpumpkins

New

Re: How high of a score is too high to retake?

Post by smashedpumpkins » Fri May 07, 2010 6:03 pm

GeePee wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:
GeePee wrote:It depends on your GPA somewhat, but I think generally at or above 175 a higher score does not correlate with a higher probability of admission any longer.
This depends on your school and is because once you go over their 75th, more points are ~ useless. This is why Harvard values 177 (at their 75th) more highly than 176 while GULC would not distinguish between the two.
Not really. Go look at 177 vs. 176 vs. 175 on LSN for Harvard. There's really no measurable difference in admissions outcomes at comparable GPAs, barring maybe 1 or 2 outliers.

I think that's true this year, but wasn't the case in previous years. If you look at last cycle's LSN applicants, it looks like 180s were given enormous leeway (I think there was a 3.6/180 from Berkeley that got in).

ConsideringLawSchool

Bronze

Post by ConsideringLawSchool » Fri May 07, 2010 7:05 pm

My personal opinion is to retake if you're not above the 75th of your target school and have very good reason to believe you can do better. Once you're above the 75th, you are an asset to the school's efforts to raise their 75th percentile, and that fact may help to forgive weaknesses in your app.

I'd also strongly suggest setting a cutoff point before you take it, writing down the cutoff, telling a friend/family member, and sticking to it. I had set 177 as mine. Was lucky enough to get that score, but I was so angry about the stupid timing mistake in one section that had hurt me that I really wanted to retake. My friends prohibited me for doing so (or, to be fair, said they would buy me drinks not to ;-)).

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri May 07, 2010 7:08 pm

ConsideringLawSchool wrote:My personal opinion is to retake if you're not above the 75th of your target school and have very good reason to believe you can do better. Once you're above the 75th, you are an asset to the school's efforts to raise their 75th percentile, and that fact may help to forgive weaknesses in your app.

I'd also strongly suggest setting a cutoff point before you take it, writing down the cutoff, telling a friend/family member, and sticking to it. I had set 177 as mine. Was lucky enough to get that score, but I was so angry about the stupid timing mistake in one section that had hurt me that I really wanted to retake. My friends prohibited me for doing so (or, to be fair, said they would buy me drinks not to ;-)).
What were you PT'ing at? average, min, max?

ConsideringLawSchool

Bronze

Post by ConsideringLawSchool » Fri May 07, 2010 7:12 pm

Knockglock wrote:
ConsideringLawSchool wrote:My personal opinion is to retake if you're not above the 75th of your target school and have very good reason to believe you can do better. Once you're above the 75th, you are an asset to the school's efforts to raise their 75th percentile, and that fact may help to forgive weaknesses in your app.

What were you PT'ing at? average, min, max?
About 178 average. Hit 180 a few times. I think I had a couple of 171/172 PTs as well.

nycsoul87

New

Post by nycsoul87 » Sat May 08, 2010 11:37 am

I'm retaking a 170 from Feb 2010, I'm also a splitter though so w/e.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CordeliusX

Bronze

Post by CordeliusX » Mon May 10, 2010 2:42 pm

The thing which bugs me about the LSAT is that you can genuinely have a bad day. Many people myself included have made stupid mistakes which are induced at least partially by stress/pressure. Of course you can argue that's just another level of defect you need to deal with and accept

But I remember reviewing PTs and thinking "this test was easy! that test was hard!" I'd hate to retake and get my ass kicked. But I am also considering canceling if I don't feel good, and blow $150 or whatever for the privilege of not wondering "what if"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”