One year to prepare. Need Advice! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
bigern247

New

One year to prepare. Need Advice!

Post by bigern247 » Thu May 06, 2010 12:06 am

After reviewing posts for almost a month now, I have decided to take the plunge and ask my first question.

A little background:
I currently have a B.B.A. in Insurance and worked for a reputable company for about nine months before deciding to quit my job and go to work for an attorney with less stress in hopes to give me more time for law school prep. Due to some financial obligations I will not be able to start school until August of '12, so I have more than enough time to prepare for the LSAT (1 whole year before attempting my first test). Unfortunately my GPA is extremely lack luster (2.64).

I know that due to my ridiculously low GPA I will need to do well on the LSAT to even think about getting into a good school. I would love to attend Louisiana State University. Reason being I am from LA and will more than likely be in LA for a while and it is the best school I have a chance of getting into in LA. (not saying much). And even better I would love to get some $.

I guess my question is: Due to my low gpa, is Law school even an option for me, and how realistic is my goal of LSU with or without $. Also, I have a year to study before my first attempt on the LSAT. For those of you who have taken it, how should I study and how would you have studied if you had this much time?

Sorry not a T14 discussion but thx for the help.

mah2012

New

Re: One year to prepare. Need Advice!

Post by mah2012 » Thu May 06, 2010 12:15 am

If you hit a 165, you've got a good shot. Above 167, I'd say you're in. And I'd be above a 170 will probably get you a nice chunk of change.

That being said, I would say start reading reading reading, especially technical type articles. They'll help get your reading speed/endurance up. I'd say start studying 5-6 months out, not three, since you'll need to secure a high score.

F458JE

New

Post by F458JE » Thu May 06, 2010 5:55 pm

A little Googling goes a long way...

http://lsu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

yourstruly87

New

Post by yourstruly87 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Dont leave things last minute! And dont think u only have to write the lsat once and get it right, u have the opportunity to write it a few times before u apply so take advantage! Do practice tests, study for 3 hours straight and then take a break, dont over do it and get burnt out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”