I know you've probably heard this before but .June or Oct.? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
yngblkgifted

Silver

I know you've probably heard this before but .June or Oct.?

Post by yngblkgifted » Tue May 04, 2010 4:07 pm

Here's my dilemma,

I am currently taking a Princeton Review Course. My diagnostic was low (146). After about a month I have gotten up to 154 (not thrilled...but at least it is an improvement).

My GPA (3.9) and work experience are fine...it's just this LSAT that is my main obstacle into getting into the schools I want to get into. (T-30). I'm a URM, if that helps. I'm not banking on that, but I understand that there is a difference in the application process between URMs and Non- URMs.

I know no one can answer this for sure...but should I bust my ass for one month straight, like studying 8 hours a day starting May 12th (that is when I am done with finals in school) until June 7th? Is it possible to jump 8-10 points in that time frame? I am slowly realizing easy mistakes I have made on previous exams. OR....

Should I hold off on and study at an intense but less intense pace than the other option?

My main concern is that I do not want to study all summer. I have obligations with work and research for school and I want to be able to relax somewhat as well. Also I want to get my applications in to law schools in as early as possible.

I have no problem busting my ass studying for a moth straight...but is it advisable? Would it be worth it and would it be as effective as a slower and longer pace? has anyone ever heard of such a jump in that time frame?

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: I know you've probably heard this before but .June or Oct.?

Post by romothesavior » Tue May 04, 2010 4:10 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:Here's my dilemma,

I am currently taking a Princeton Review Course. My diagnostic was low (146). After about a month I have gotten up to 154 (not thrilled...but at least it is an improvement).

My GPA (3.9) and work experience are fine...it's just this LSAT that is my main obstacle into getting into the schools I want to get into. (T-30). I'm a URM, if that helps. I'm not banking on that, but I understand that there is a difference in the application process between URMs and Non- URMs.

I know no one can answer this for sure...but should I bust my ass for one month straight, like studying 8 hours a day starting May 12th (that is when I am done with finals in school) until June 7th? Is it possible to jump 8-10 points in that time frame? I am slowly realizing easy mistakes I have made on previous exams. OR....

Should I hold off on and study at an intense but less intense pace than the other option?

My main concern is that I do not want to study all summer. I have obligations with work and research for school and I want to be able to relax somewhat as well. Also I want to get my applications in to law schools in as early as possible.

I have no problem busting my ass studying for a moth straight...but is it advisable? Would it be worth it and would it be as effective as a slower and longer pace? has anyone ever heard of such a jump in that time frame?
I always say June>October because you can still take the October and have time to apply really early. But in your case, I don't think you'll be fully ready with only a month of studying. Had you started studying a month or two ago, then I'd say June and re-take if necessary. But I think you should wait until October and really know your shit.

JuTMSY4

Bronze

Post by JuTMSY4 » Tue May 04, 2010 4:15 pm

I was in a similar situation so I'll give you my take:

Study hard. The amount you spend can be irrelevant if you're not learning. Most people take a practice test and then go over it question by question reviewing what they got wrong (AND WHY!). I preferred the method of taking the test once (timed), and then going over it (untimed) and finding what went wrong...I learned a lot from my mistakes. Do a search on here and you'll find a similar guide.

The URM factor is certainly the proverbial fountain of youth (though it does exist). It definitely helps, but to what extent and at what school is anyone's (TLSer's) guess.

Do I think someone who scored a 154 can bring it up to a 162 between now and June 7? Yes and I'd suggest a reasonably intelligent person could.

But the best part is, you can keep going and if you feel you're unprepared on June 6 (or perhaps a few days before) you can back out of the test and then move forward for october. The June test, IMO, is an infinitely better experience though...

PrincessLexiRae

New

Post by PrincessLexiRae » Tue May 04, 2010 4:17 pm

I'm in the same situation (with the same scores). I'm going to take in June and then re-take in October if necessary and still have time for ed applications if necessary. I think you should do the same. And until then, study study study.

SBimmer

New

Post by SBimmer » Tue May 04, 2010 4:19 pm

romothesavior wrote:

I always say June>October because you can still take the October and have time to apply really early. But in your case, I don't think you'll be fully ready with only a month of studying. Had you started studying a month or two ago, then I'd say June and re-take if necessary. But I think you should wait until October and really know your shit.
+1 - Time isn't on your side for the June exam. You really need to know your sh*&t to accommodate your awesome GPA, and increase your chances at T30. You can crack low 160s with consistent practice and study time. The LSAT is quite learn-able.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

am060459

Silver

Post by am060459 » Tue May 04, 2010 4:25 pm

given ur awesome GPA and URM status i would highly suggest taking october. if you can crack 160 or 165 ur looking at T30s with nice $$$$. dont take the test until your ready.

higher lsat > applying early

legalized

Bronze

Post by legalized » Tue May 04, 2010 6:08 pm

It can be done. My cold diagnostic was 147 and it's jumped 14 points already. I'm self-studying using the Logic Games Bible, the 3 10 Actual LSAT books, and the LSAT SuperPrep.

I am taking the tests with a simulated test day recording (see Steve Schwartz's blog) that has people coughing, scribbling, yawning, erasing, something dropping on the floor, all types of foolishness that i realize would seriously mess me up on the real thing because I am unable to leave my house to study and it's usually dead silent for most of my testing time...all that background noise would have me tensing up and wishing for them to shut up, lol. I play it on the loudest volume possible so by test day I should be able to focus on this test through Armageddon.

REALLY simulate test day every time you test and yes, you can definitely jump 10 points or more by test day. I told myself I need to improve one point every day I test until test day, to reach my dream score. I jumped 14 points already and I have at least 20 more tests to go. If I can go up 14 more points and keep it consistent at that point through June 7 I will be one excited woman lol.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed May 05, 2010 2:00 pm

am060459 wrote:given ur awesome GPA and URM status i would highly suggest taking october. if you can crack 160 or 165 ur looking at T30s with nice $$$$. dont take the test until your ready.

higher lsat > applying early
OP, I'll go one further. There are people on TLS who have gone from 140s-170s. If you can somehow get into the 170s on the October test and APPLY EARLY, you will have a shot at getting into any school in the country (including HYS). I read somewhere that the biggest reason URMs underperform the LSAT is underpreparation. Do not half-ass this, because you are in an excellent position right now... you have a great GPA and plenty of time to study for the LSAT.

Take your time and study hard for the October exam. Yes, I know most schools take the highest score without question, but I do think the very elite ones will value a one-time 170 over a 155, 170.

Do not waste that stellar GPA. Very few URMs have a 3.9, and VERY few have a 3.9/170 or even a 3.9/165+. Get some study materials, look around TLS for LSAT advice, and study your ass off. You have a great deal of potential. Good luck!

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Fri May 07, 2010 12:49 pm

Thanks for all of the words of wisdom. Any little bit helps. While I'm not quite sure whether I will sit for the June test or not, I know that I will study my ass off until then. The worse case scenario is that I do not feel as prepared as I could be by June 7th and I take it in October. Even if I do that, after studying my ass off for a month straight, I will be in a better position for studying in the summer!.......Basically, I will eat, breathe, and live this thing!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”