How can I fix this? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
washin34

New

How can I fix this?

Post by washin34 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:07 pm

I just took the LG section on PT 48. I had completed three games and was diagramming the fourth when time was up. The first time I did it I got -10. I marked the problems and immediately restarted the timer. I immediately re-did the same section, this time I got slightly further but was -4. How should I adjust my studying in consideration to this PT? Does this mean I need to slow down even more?

Atlas LSAT Teacher

Bronze

Re: How can I fix this?

Post by Atlas LSAT Teacher » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:36 pm

I like the spirit behind immediately re-doing a game section, but you are running the risk of simply re-playing bad habits. Sort of like when you date the same type of person over and over again.

I would suggest that you instead re-play the games slowly, considering how you wish you had done them (the elegant, inference-rich way, without too much trial and error), and then a few days later replay the section again, sealing in what you've figured out.

Good luck!

washin34

New

Post by washin34 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:10 am

Atlas LSAT Teacher wrote:I like the spirit behind immediately re-doing a game section, but you are running the risk of simply re-playing bad habits. Sort of like when you date the same type of person over and over again.

I would suggest that you instead re-play the games slowly, considering how you wish you had done them (the elegant, inference-rich way, without too much trial and error), and then a few days later replay the section again, sealing in what you've figured out.

Good luck!
I've done every game 29-38 so many times that I know the inferences/answers to most of them almost immediately after reading the stimulus. I can't remember them well enough to transfer the inferences to similar games, but I feel like whenever I do one of those games I'm wasting my time because I know how to do them. I've also purchased PTs 46-59. I've done the game sections in 46-48, but I want to save the rest for my full length PTs. I think I can get good enough to do three sections with 0 or -2, by June but I don't know if I should start doing the game sections from the new test or just continue to alternate the old tests.

Atlas LSAT Teacher

Bronze

Post by Atlas LSAT Teacher » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:19 am

Hey, as I mentioned in the pm, you're right to hold off on the other tests. I thought of a couple of other ideas for you:

You can get earlier tests for pretty cheap at http://www.cambridgelsat.com and you can also take a whack at the games we've written: http://www.atlaslsat.com/logic-games-practice.cfm

If you do want to try to squeeze out something from the games you feel you've memorized, I would try to solve them in a different manner -- can you set up frames? could you have done your diagram differently? Even if the answer is no, the process might be useful.

Finally, if you want to try out a game with one of our teachers, we're holding a free public class this coming Monday evening -- you just have to e-mail the teacher the question you want to work on beforehand. There can be a bit of disconnect if you don't know our diagrams, so we try to emphasize logical reasoning, but Brian, the teacher, will try to accommodate everyone. Here's the sign-up: http://www.atlaslsat.com/EventShow.cfm? ... ventID=258

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”