Has anyone had PT that made them not want to go on? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jason8821

Bronze

Has anyone had PT that made them not want to go on?

Post by jason8821 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:40 pm

GRRRR I took a PT today was really excited, hoping I could get to 163. Thought today was the day for a score increase, and I was really trying. I knew I bombed RC when I took it, averaging around 17-18, and got a whopping 10/27. Final score = 149.

jason8821

Bronze

Re: Has anyone had PT that made them not want to go on?

Post by jason8821 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:41 pm

not to mention did a few points lower on my LR sections than normal, and slightly lower than I should have on LG.

alive

New

Post by alive » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:44 pm

Today I took PrepTest 49 + RC section of PrepTest 47. My score was -8 scaled off my previous average.

I was pretty frustrated, especially with a -0 on games and missing a bunch of LR questions I shouldn't have missed (historically my best section). I attribute it to the double RC.

In any case, I plodded on, ended up doing RC sections for 3 more hours and decided to register here after lurking for years.

jason8821

Bronze

Post by jason8821 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:50 pm

it's funny that you mentioned PT 47 because that's the RC I bombed, I really expected to start nailing in on 20ish in RC soon, and what a fucking eye opener. What are you doing taking the test again with 1 174????

alive

New

Post by alive » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:54 pm

jason8821 wrote:it's funny that you mentioned PT 47 because that's the RC I bombed, I really expected to start nailing in on 20ish in RC soon, and what a fucking eye opener. What are you doing taking the test again with 1 174????
Sorry for the confusion... guess I really am new to this. I viewed that question in the profile as including PrepTests, but it seems clear that I should only include official scores. Haven't ever taken the LSAT for real. Believe me, with an official 174 I'd clean out my apartment of all my study materials and probably never look back. :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jason8821

Bronze

Post by jason8821 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:58 pm

no prob is that your high or average of pt's? I wish PT 47's reading comp was some kind of crazy fluke, but it is easily the hardest one I have faced, and I've done 2 tests in the 50's.

alive

New

Post by alive » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:16 am

jason8821 wrote:no prob is that your high or average of pt's? I wish PT 47's reading comp was some kind of crazy fluke, but it is easily the hardest one I have faced, and I've done 2 tests in the 50's.
High. Average before today was a couple of points lower. I'm hoping I'll redeem myself over the next few days.

It's good to hear that you think PT 47 is tough (that is what you are saying, right?). I did it as the second section of my five section test today. Before PT 47 RC things were proceeding well (-0 on games). After that RC things went downhill fast. I need to not let poor performance on one section affect the remaining sections, but somehow I do...

jason8821

Bronze

Post by jason8821 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:24 am

Yeah I experience that domino effect as well, if I had to rate PT 47, I would say harder than average in LR but not significantly, (maybe 2 points off) extremely hard in RC, and quite a bit easier than average on games, I just screwed this up because i was tired and pissed.

In effort to comfort myself after a horrible pt, I am curious what your range has been. highest to lowest. this 12 points disparity is freaking me out.

alive

New

Post by alive » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:38 am

My PrepTest range after I completed my content studying is 163-174. I had been averaging about 171-172 until today, which has provided the low end of my range. Hoping for a 172 on test day. But realistically would be happy with 170.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

am060459

Silver

Post by am060459 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:47 am

same here. well i wasnt doing a PT but instead timed sections. did the first two sections of PT 7 thursday and decided to finish the rest today. unfortunately i bombed the last section (LR) with a 11/25. i did average on RC with 18/27. however i killed the games section i did on thursday with a 23/24 and average on LR with 18/25. managed a 159, which is my average.

half way through the last section (LR) around number 14 my brain was losing concentration and i kinda froze. going to review and brush it off with PT 45 on monday.

still waiting on a third 160+ score.

jason8821

Bronze

Post by jason8821 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:29 am

I guess i'm hoping to hear from that person who did terrible on one PT and rebounded, it'd be great if someone chimed in with a average in the high 160's and bombed in the 140's on one test, but that's pretty unlikely.

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:47 am

jason8821 wrote:I guess i'm hoping to hear from that person who did terrible on one PT and rebounded, it'd be great if someone chimed in with a average in the high 160's and bombed in the 140's on one test, but that's pretty unlikely.
I think just about everyone has had some shitty practice tests during their prep. There are a lot of explanations for this. Some tests simply highlight your weaknesses. I would do worse on certain RC passages because the topics "sucked" IMHO. I would do worse on certain LG sections because they had more grouping games. I had one PT where I took the first three sections and got -0, -2, and -1. Then I took a 10 minute break and ran into an ex-gf at the library. My last two sections were -7 and -10.

What I'm trying to get at is that it's not at all uncommon to have outliers when you take multiple PTs. Review your mistakes and move on. If you were scoring in the high 160's before, you'll do it again. You don't just wake up one day permanently 20 points worse at the LSAT.

am060459

Silver

Post by am060459 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:12 am

KibblesAndVick wrote:
jason8821 wrote:I guess i'm hoping to hear from that person who did terrible on one PT and rebounded, it'd be great if someone chimed in with a average in the high 160's and bombed in the 140's on one test, but that's pretty unlikely.
I think just about everyone has had some shitty practice tests during their prep. There are a lot of explanations for this. Some tests simply highlight your weaknesses. I would do worse on certain RC passages because the topics "sucked" IMHO. I would do worse on certain LG sections because they had more grouping games. I had one PT where I took the first three sections and got -0, -2, and -1. Then I took a 10 minute break and ran into an ex-gf at the library. My last two sections were -7 and -10.

What I'm trying to get at is that it's not at all uncommon to have outliers when you take multiple PTs. Review your mistakes and move on. If you were scoring in the high 160's before, you'll do it again. You don't just wake up one day permanently 20 points worse at the LSAT.
unless you bump your head really really hard lol. jk.

on a serious note i agree with the above post. review your mistakes and move on.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

alive

New

Post by alive » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:07 pm

Just an update to my PT woes that started yesterday.

Today I took a PT (with two experimentals to practice taking a test with the fatigue of two tough RC sections at the beginning) that I would have had a 174-175 on, but it turns out I misbubbled 6 or so answers, so I scored much lower. What luck.

Misbubbling SIX questions. How does this happen?!

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:12 pm

I feel y'all's pain. I took a PT three days before my actual, and I bombed the RC of the PT. Then on the actual, I got +1 on my recent PT average. The bomb didn't scare me too much because I took so many PT's and knew that it was highly likely that I would perform at a high level. Lesson: Keep going, and have confidence in your ability to improve and do well on the actual! :wink:

jason8821

Bronze

Post by jason8821 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:59 pm

sumus romani wrote:I feel y'all's pain. I took a PT three days before my actual, and I bombed the RC of the PT. Then on the actual, I got +1 on my recent PT average. The bomb didn't scare me too much because I took so many PT's and knew that it was highly likely that I would perform at a high level. Lesson: Keep going, and have confidence in your ability to improve and do well on the actual! :wink:
Thanks for the advice, if there is one thing I've learned so far it is that the LSAT is an unforgiving son of a bitch. The second you think you have the test mastered (whatever you considered mastered for me its a 164-65) It will come back and kill you, so I will continue to approach it as if this PT didnt happen.

Also I took my PT on the computer (knewtons computerized tests) 4 sections (1 minute break in the middle) does anyone think this could have an adverse effect, and that I would be more likely to score better on paper? I like to think so, but don't really know.

alive

New

Post by alive » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:01 pm

jason8821 wrote: Also I took my PT on the computer (knewtons computerized tests) 4 sections (1 minute break in the middle) does anyone think this could have an adverse effect, and that I would be more likely to score better on paper? I like to think so, but don't really know.
Can't say I've tried Knewton's computerized tests, but I'll say that sounds tough. I need paper and pencil.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jason8821

Bronze

Post by jason8821 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:14 pm

Yeah I like to think the fact that I am only doing 4 sections instead of 5 offsets the possible score drop from a computerized test, but I know they are not really related.

GoBroncos22!

Bronze

Post by GoBroncos22! » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:37 am

Your title is misleading because it makes it sound like all of my other PT's are worthy. I dont want to continue after every PT.

jason8821

Bronze

Post by jason8821 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:59 am

GoBroncos22! wrote:Your title is misleading because it makes it sound like all of my other PT's are worthy. I dont want to continue after every PT.
I agree that I am never where i'd love to be (175+) but I mean whatever the highest area you can score in after 15-20 practice tests, that should make you a little happy if you repeat it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”