how to review Reading Section Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
mz253

Bronze

how to review Reading Section

Post by mz253 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:06 pm

I feel reviewing reading is pointless... the reason i said that is because when i'm doing a timed section, i was in a more nervous state, so i managed only to get a big picture, and memorize details i "think" that will be asked... such as comparison, location of example, cause and effect, etc.

but when i review them, i read them slowly, to distinguish every person's voice/tones and analyze the whole passage in great details. is this helpful? i feel i would never have enough time in the real exam to analyze a passage in a great detail ;-(

so what's the right way to review reading? should i just erase my answers and redo the whole passage under timed condition?

autarkh

Bronze

Re: how to review Reading Section

Post by autarkh » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:38 pm

Review the passage carefully right after. Take note of what caused you to misinterpret the text and get a particular question wrong. Retaking a passage under timed conditions (unless you wait long enough to forget it) would be a waste of time, IMO.

jpSartre

Bronze

Post by jpSartre » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:55 pm

autarkh wrote:Review the passage carefully right after.
I think this is really good advice.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:04 pm

Review your answers so that you know what to do differently next time. Sure, reviewing and actually doing the section are not the same thing — one is untimed, the other is timed — but one should inform the other. If you keep getting questions wrong because you're freaking out and not checking answers against the passage, then calm down and check answers against the passage. Even if it takes longer, it's more productive: any time spent getting a question wrong is wasted time.

mz253

Bronze

Post by mz253 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:41 am

great tips! thanks guys!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Philipsssssss

Bronze

Post by Philipsssssss » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:38 pm

mz253 wrote:great tips! thanks guys!
I am in the same boat, i have one suggestion:

After you finished with the prep test timed ... do not score it, go back, either redo the whole thing or just the reading section SLOWLY, rationalizing each and every move.

After you did it again, "blindly", see how you time vs. un-timed match...

You will be surprised how many stupid mistakes you make, but the trick is do not score yourself, you need to approach the section/test again not knowing your score so you can really focus again.

I find it helpful.

sk8kim

New

Post by sk8kim » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:58 pm

Thanks for the tip. Would this work if you were to score it, but not look at which questions you got wrong? So for instance you would know that you got 5 wrong on RC, but not know which ones?

mz253

Bronze

Post by mz253 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:32 pm

this may be good... i make many silly mistakes under timed condition (panicing all the time).... i will try this in my nest PT.
Philipsssssss wrote:
mz253 wrote:great tips! thanks guys!
I am in the same boat, i have one suggestion:

After you finished with the prep test timed ... do not score it, go back, either redo the whole thing or just the reading section SLOWLY, rationalizing each and every move.

After you did it again, "blindly", see how you time vs. un-timed match...

You will be surprised how many stupid mistakes you make, but the trick is do not score yourself, you need to approach the section/test again not knowing your score so you can really focus again.

I find it helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”