Question about Testmasters Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
poo

New

Question about Testmasters

Post by poo » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:58 pm

Does their 2 month full length class have enough material/allow enough time to score in the 170s? I'm asking because I'm going to have very little prep going into the class when it starts, and I'm a bit worried 2 months is not enough time to study (although the 5 weeks or so before the test I'm going to do nothing but lsat because I'll be between jobs, so that class will be my only focus)--and I have heard they provide a lot of material. If anybody could shed some light who has taken the class, I'd appreciate it.

eandy

Gold

Re: Question about Testmasters

Post by eandy » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:00 pm

It depends on where you are starting PT score-wise. If you are in the 140s, probably not :)

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:01 pm

TM (like all other major LSAT prep companies) provides all the released LSATs. Whether 2 months and that gets you into the 170's depends on you. But 2 months is about the minimum recommended time to study for the LSAT... you may find that you need more time.

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:01 pm

poo wrote:Does their 2 month full length class have enough material/allow enough time to score in the 170s? I'm asking because I'm going to have very little prep going into the class when it starts, and I'm a bit worried 2 months is not enough time to study (although the 5 weeks or so before the test I'm going to do nothing but lsat because I'll be between jobs, so that class will be my only focus)--and I have heard they provide a lot of material. If anybody could shed some light who has taken the class, I'd appreciate it.
This probably depends on the person. 2 months was more than enough for me to get into the 170's, but i had a 162 diag, so I didn't have to go far.

Have you taken a diagnostic under testing conditions yet?

In any case, I would start studying as early as possible. Can't hurt.

poo

New

Post by poo » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:06 pm

Z3RO wrote:
poo wrote:Does their 2 month full length class have enough material/allow enough time to score in the 170s? I'm asking because I'm going to have very little prep going into the class when it starts, and I'm a bit worried 2 months is not enough time to study (although the 5 weeks or so before the test I'm going to do nothing but lsat because I'll be between jobs, so that class will be my only focus)--and I have heard they provide a lot of material. If anybody could shed some light who has taken the class, I'd appreciate it.
This probably depends on the person. 2 months was more than enough for me to get into the 170's, but i had a 162 diag, so I didn't have to go far.

No I have not taken a diagnostic yet, I think that's what we do on the very first day of class, so maybe after that I can see if 2 months will be enough time. Although the 5 weeks of nothing else to do except for the testmasters class/ lsat is by far the biggest chunk of time I will ever have uninterupted to study for this thing, so maybe all this time does mean whatever I'm PTing around the end of the course is a good indicator of my top score.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jamesieee

New

Post by jamesieee » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:22 pm

poo wrote:
Z3RO wrote:

No I have not taken a diagnostic yet, I think that's what we do on the very first day of class, so maybe after that I can see if 2 months will be enough time. Although the 5 weeks of nothing else to do except for the testmasters class/ lsat is by far the biggest chunk of time I will ever have uninterupted to study for this thing, so maybe all this time does mean whatever I'm PTing around the end of the course is a good indicator of my top score.
Why wait? The sooner you know where you are, the sooner you can start getting where you want to be.

I took a one-month full-length PowerScore course (which I hear is very similar to TM), and the course alone would have not been anywhere near enough to push me to what I ended up getting. I started studying by myself two months before the test with the Bibles, and still did intensive self-studying outside of class for the last month (4-5 PT's per week on my own). Treat the course as a bonus - it's good reinforcement, but you should be studying enough outside of it to render it redundant. You can easily do this during the five weeks that you devote to LSAT.

LegalGENius

New

Post by LegalGENius » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:26 pm

jamesieee wrote:
poo wrote:
Z3RO wrote:

Why wait? The sooner you know where you are, the sooner you can start getting where you want to be.

I took a one-month full-length PowerScore course (which I hear is very similar to TM), and the course alone would have not been anywhere near enough to push me to what I ended up getting. I started studying by myself two months before the test with the Bibles, and still did intensive self-studying outside of class for the last month (4-5 PT's per week on my own). Treat the course as a bonus - it's good reinforcement, but you should be studying enough outside of it to render it redundant. You can easily do this during the five weeks that you devote to LSAT.
I went Testmasters, but I agree. I would say it is 90% what you put into it (inside & outside of the course!) Personally, I needed 4 months lead time to get where I wanted to be.

nycgirl87

New

Post by nycgirl87 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:29 pm

I took the 2 month testmasters course and went from a 159 diag to 173. I definitely recommend the course. I agree that it is what you put into it as well. I did as much of the hw I could do (it was A LOT if you did it all) while also working at my full time job and went out on the weekends as well. I liked their approach to the exam and the full-length practice tests definitely helped. As long as you are willing to dedicate these 2 months to studying and taking it seriously, I think it should be enough time.

PopCopyManager

New

Post by PopCopyManager » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:40 pm

nycgirl87 wrote:I took the 2 month testmasters course and went from a 159 diag to 173. I definitely recommend the course. I agree that it is what you put into it as well. I did as much of the hw I could do (it was A LOT if you did it all) while also working at my full time job and went out on the weekends as well. I liked their approach to the exam and the full-length practice tests definitely helped. As long as you are willing to dedicate these 2 months to studying and taking it seriously, I think it should be enough time.

I also took testmasters, and increased my score dramatically. However, a few pieces of advice going into the course:

-I would caution you AGAINST doing any prep prior to the course. As others have said, it includes all of the questions from each LSAT for the last 10 years - Trust me, it is PLENTY of material. Plus, if you have already seen a question, it gives you an unfair advantage when you see it again. (I did powerscore bibles before the course). The only thing I would maybe start prepping for now is Logic Games.

-Make sure you have enough time to complete the homework. I finished the homework maybe 2x out of the 16 classes. It is simply overwhelming if you work a full time job. Additionally, working a full time job and then going to class afterwards made paying attention in class (mainly RC and LG) pretty difficult

All in all, I would DEFINITELY recommend Testmasters. If you are in the DC area by chance, Anthony Meni was an EXCELLENT instructor.

gobears09

Bronze

Post by gobears09 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:49 pm

poo wrote:

I took TM and I didnt love it, I increased my score dramatically the second time I took it studying on my own. However, I didnt take full advantage of the course. If I could do it again, I would:

Start taking the Diags they provide you long before you start their scheduled diags, as I recall you take the three most recent proctored with them starting about a month before the test, after the initial cold. They provide you with ten or so more, use them, it takes more than a month to be comfortable with testing conditions. (And always add a 5th section.)

Dont fall behind in the homework. Ive never met, or read of, anyone who finished the TM homework, but stay as current as possible. If youre taking a Tues/Thurs class, just accept that Wednesday is going to suck and you are going to be mentally exhausted.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”